Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
ready to rock
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, not sure if im beating a dead horse or not, i searched for the topic, but found little,

i know that everything taurus used to manufacter was garbage, but its supposedly gotten much much better. i've got a 24/7 in .40 and it shoots and performs like a dream, but i have no knowledge of there revolvers.

anyone who owns a new taurus revolver, more specifically the ultralights or rgbulls, that can give me some knowledge?.

thanks for anything guys

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a blued Taurus 44 mag. 4" barrel ported. Never, has it failed me! Shot reloads out of it in 44special, and 44 magnum. I carry it every season Elk hunting, here in Colorado. Though, a little on the heavey side. Pull trigger and it goes bang everytime.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have two stainless trackers - one in .357 that was new in 2003 and one in .44 that was new in 2006. The tracker is the smaller frame and the raging bull is the bigger frame. My trackers have done just fine and I've put about 1,000 rounds through the .357 and about 700 through the .44.

You are right about the quality improving. 30 years ago, Taurus revolvers were pretty crappy. I cracked a frame on a new .357 back in the '80's with just store bought .38 rounds. They have come a long way since then.

One thing I will say though is that the triggers on a lot of them could use some work. If you have a chance, work the trigger on several before you buy and get the smoothest one. If you are buying blind, set aside $50 for a trigger job. Even with that extra $50 cost, Taurus revolvers are a great buy in my opinion especially with the prices that S&W is charging these days.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I used to own one of their older .38 snub-nose revolvers. I had no problems with it. Gave it to a friend who was hurting financially.

If you're looking for a revolver check out Ruger. I've been very happy with their products.

Good Luck

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nothing bad to say about Taurus revolvers, I've owned many from the Ultralight .38 Special, Bull .44 Mag Snub, and several Trackers and Raging Bulls. I've never had a single mechanical issue on any of them, they run just as flawless as my Smiths. Taurus is even making +P rated Ultralight snubs now, I've got my eye on the .357 model. ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I own a 92 and i love it. Ive shot the ultra lite 38 and accurate, no problems. For the money you can get one with a trigger job and still have money left for ammo compared to a use smith or ruger. I had a 66 taurus and it wasnt as smooth as my ruger 100 but it was as if not more accurate. If i was to buy me anouther 38 it would be the taurus.

·
Registered
190 Posts
When my grandfather passed away, I inherited a number of firearms and there were a few Taurus revolvers. 1 44 mag, 2 357 revolvers, 1 38 revolver.
I have sent every single one of them back to the factory due to the action locking up and seizing. Since the repairs were done (new trigger assemblies installed and tested), I have not had a single further issue, except with one of the 357 snubbies. It is going to have to go back to factory a second time, still locks up on DA.
Personally, I would not purchase a Taurus revolver, don't know much about the autos. Several friends have autos and love them, I have never shot one.
Now, with that said, I have to say that Taurus does have a very good warrantly on thier firearms, doesn't matter if you are the first or hundredth owner of the gun, as long as it has not been abused or modified, they will warranty it.
I would NOT carry a Taurus revolver for self defense, my opinion only.

·
ready to rock
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the feed back, a few bad reviews wins over several good ones, i dont want to trust mine or my families lives to a gun that anyone has something bad to say about.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,527 Posts
Their revolvers are still hit or miss from what I can tell. But if you get a good one, it's worth owning.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
a shooting buddy has a Taurus .38 snubby fixed sights that shoots better than some S&W snubs I've seen. but it's cautioned against '+P' type loads.
I own a mdl 94 s/s .22 that has been infalliable for 1000's of rounds - and I've taught several women/young women how to shoot beginning w/it.
accuracy is'nt the best but it's reliable - 4" bbl model. the gals shot up all my ammo busting ballons and such. then I moved them up in size.
I had to do a triger job on it the trigger was stiff.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My experience with taurus is that it's just hit or miss. You either get a solid reliable gun, or you get a lemon. They're a good choice if your budget is slim and can deal with the time it takes to send it in for repairs. Some models will probably be more prone to problems than others... so take the time to research and find the one that fits with the least poor reviews.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
They have gotten better, still can be a hit or miss, they don't hold their resale value as well as Smiths & Rugers...if that helps.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Give me a moment I'll think of something foul to say about the GP100...:)

Reactions: 556X45
1 - 20 of 99 Posts