Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Da BADDEST MoFo!!
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have thought on this pistol? want to pick up a Beretta 92s and see the Taurus for $100 cheaper, i get +2 in the mag over the Beretta, adjustable sights, 1 extra magazine and 1year free NRA membership. Anyone have the Taurus or know anyone who does?

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
I have owned three Taurus'. My current CCW is a 24/7. I had a PT140 and a PT92. I was happy with all three.

The PT 92 fired every time I pulled the trigger. It handle hollow points without a hitch. It was accurate. The only negative was the trigger. It had a little hitch in it. Not really a problem, just a little annoyance. I suspect Taurus would have fixed it, if I sent it in. Never thought it was worth the trouble.

As with any gun, dry fire it in the store and see how the trigger suits your fancy.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
My taurus pt 92 shot WAY low and to the left at 25 yrds. I sold it at a gun show immediately. Taurus bought out an old Beretta factory in Brazil and then used the beretta platform and tooling in their pt 92. However a real Beretta will hold it's value better and some are made here in the U.S. I have a beretta 96d (.40cal version) and while I feel it is of better quality than the Taurus ,I don't like the long DA trigger pull on either gun,they are both also large frame fairly heavy guns,not really suitable for CC .If you must have one ,I say pony up the extra cash for the Beretta. But with the wide variety of pistols on the market I would go another route all together.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i sold a truck load of them when i was a dealer back in the day....finish wasnt as good as a beretta......action wasnt as smooth......but they felt damn good when u put on a set of aftermarket rubber grips....for what its worth, in my opinion they were a good gun for the money.....

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I have a PT99 (same thing but with adjustable rear sight). I like it very much, no problems with miss-feeds or anything like that. It's very accurate, too. Though not as accurate as some of my 1911s, of course. There's a guy that has a gun review website that did an excellent review on it, check it out, I don't have the time to find it for you right now.

Compared to the Berretta: The Berretta has slightly better machining tolerance in their parts, but the biggest difference is the safety (which I like better on the Taurus). The Berretta's safety is on the slide, high up and must be pushed up higher to dis-engage. It also does not allow cocked-and-locked carry (when you engage the safety, it also decocks the hammer). The safety on the Taurus is on the body, just above your thumb (no matter if your righty or lefty, its on both sides). You push it down to dis-engage it, down further to de-cock. This means you can carry in cocked-and-locked readiness, a huge plus in my book. Positioned were it is the safety is much easier to find and work with your thumb while taking aim.

All in all, I would say the Taurus beats the Berretta mostly because of the safety. Opinions vary, but that's mine.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I have that particular model and find it to be an outstanding 9mm handgun. I also prefer it a 1000 times over the Berreta 92 in no uncertian terms as I hate the saftey/decocking lever and prefer just a safety like the PT-99 has. It has fairly easy take down with minimal parts and is quick and easy to reassemble. As far as the finish on the metal parts they are pretty good for the most part although you will find less tool marks on the Berreta 92. The only real complaint I have herd is that the aluminum frames sometimes crack. I have put about 8-10K in rounds through mine and have not found this to be an issue yet. When I used this as a duty weapon I used +P+ Corbin 115 gr HPs as a matter of fact, I just rarely cranked a lot of ammo like this through it but it seem to have no problem digesting a magazine load from time to time. The magazines while shaped the same do not have the magazine catch hole machined in the same location making the magazines non-interchangable. I did play around with some military mags and recut the catch holes and got them to work. I would use them at the range but never trusted them in my duty weapon when on shift. If I had it to do over again though I would have gotten the stainless model.

Given a choice between the two I'll take the PT-99, 8 days a week without so much as a second thought!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've owned several Taurus pistols, including the .40 cal version of the pistol you speak of, its the only Taurus i've sold, and only because of the caliber. I like to stick to 9mm or .45 so I can get cheap surplus ammo, and don't have to stock so many calibers. The Taurus pistols are fine,cheap,reliable. I would compare the auto pistols with Berreta, and revolvers with Smith and Wesson, and they give up nothing to either.
Taurus and Ruger are my favorite weapons.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
the PT-92 i had shot about 3 inch low but i was told its probably the ammo i was useing which was some reloads from a gun show, so it is possible it was the ammo.fired well for me no jams but i really didnt fire to many out of it manybe 200 rnd no problems all reloads.

as far as holding its value more or less.if you keep it in good condition, it like any weapon will hold its value. weapons are one of the better investments you can make to at least get your money back if not make a profit. i dont know of many weapons that have lost their value if they are kept in good condition and not hot.

if i was to get a handgun today it would be this is the one i would love to get.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911-HICAP.aspx

I'm not rich so i have to go with a low cost weapons.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
I have a PT-99 and like it just fine but heres a couple of small things to consider when comparing the Taurus to the Beretta

1. Taurus mags are more expensive and less available than the Beretta's. Over time how many mags will you buy? Will the $100 you save today be spent on mags later?

2. Beretta mags are interchangeable with other Beretta's including the CX4 Storm carbine in case you ever want to build up a common platform.

3. The Kel-tec Sub2000 will accept Beretta mags, not Taurus. (Don't get me started on this one :mad:) Again for if you want to build up a common platform using the same mags.

There's nothing wrong with the Taurus and I like mine but I wish I had a Beretta only for the above reasons.

Reactions: Cryptkeeper
1 - 10 of 10 Posts