Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that answered my question..thanks man. I'll stay with what I have for now...beside wife might get upset if I brought home a new gun..again:)

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Hadnt seen thats before but it confirmed the speculations I would have had, although I dont own one and havnet shot one. I suspected that with the 2 1/2 inch 410 shell restriction that ammo availability would be somewhat limited. I also felt like the short barrel would seriously inhibit decent performance from the shot shells even if suitable loads were available. Im sure this contributed considerably to the lack of performance in the BOT reveiw as 410 shotgun shells and load data are designed to perform in 18 inch and longer barrels not a 4-6 inch barrel.

I actually considered getting one as I fish from a Kayak and sometimes snakes can be an issue. I personally felt like my 22 revolver which I already own was a better deal as all it cost me was 22 shot shells which out of my gun throw a decent pattern at ranges I thought I might need it. The Judge just seem to look better on paper than it would be in the real world.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Having shot more no-legged critters than I'd care to think about, I'd say that the Judge is a fair snake gun. It's too large and heavy and worst of all, it's really a limited use weapon. It does nothing well.

A much better choice would be one of the Charter Arms Bulldog's in .44 Special.
Stainless steel in the current model and much lighter than the Judge. Plus the shorter "Pug" 2 1/2" barrel will disturb the shot less, less rotation imparted. Compare long and short barrels in various chamberings and it becomes apparent quickly.

One thing they don't go into on TBOT, is that the large shot they chose to load was much too large. You don't need anything larger than #11 shot, #12 or Dust is preffered. Snakes are very thin skinned and it doesn't take much to get into them. Take .22 shotshells for example, most use #12 or dust and snakes shot with them go limp "right now" where snakes shot with the larger shot from the CCI .38Spl shotshell take an extra round or two normally. As with all shotloads, the sheer number of hits are a cumulative effect and the numerous hits from the tiny pellets short circuit the snake right now.

I've taken to loading for my own wheelguns using the same Speer shotcups shown on TBOT, but loading them with some #12 shot, it's hard to find but worth the search if you use a lot of it.
The larger bore you have, the larger the payload. A .44 Spl/Mag is a better choice than a .38 Spl/.357Mag. Both are more effective than a .22 if the shot size is the same or similar.

Around 75% of the snakes I've shot in the last 5 years or so have been with a snubbie .38 and the load taken right off the Speer shotcup box using Unique. It works and works well. And I don't have a ton of money invested into it.

In 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, the CCI/Speer products are surprisingly effective, but reliability can be a factor. I've found that my handguns are reliable with the 9mm and .45 versions but won't say about yours. YMMV.
The old Remington star-crimped .45 ACP load (out of production) was the singlularly most effective out of a .45 ever built. And it used very small shot, #11 or 12 IIRC.

One interesting note, I've found that the polygonal rifling of the Glock/H&K handguns works very well with the CCI/Speer shotloads, not getting as much of the "doughnut" pattern as a conventionally rifled barrel does. However I must qualify that with I've only tried it in the short barreled 26 and 30 models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts