Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Question Authority!
260 Posts
Taurus has come a long way over the years. I can remember about 15 years ago shooting the model 92 knock offs that they made and all the slop that went along with that. I have personally inspected one of these beauties. Looks like Taurus wants to stay in business, the slop appears to be gone, not as nice as my Kimbers but The Judge is one serious personal defence weapon. It is not a smooth bore it is a regular gun barrel I forget exactly what the twist is but at 10 yards 000 buck stays at about an 18" spread. So for close range it would definitely wreck a would be jerk offs day.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
like chinagreen said Taurus has come a long way. Just got back from the range a few min. ago doing some qualifications. Took my Taurus PT 145 out and fired up another box of ammo through the light weight 45. I am going to carry it as my CCW for a while. Really like that little 45 I think I may be more fond of it than my Glock 30.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
The Judge is superbley built. I handled one recently at a gun show and couldn't believe that it was a Taurus, the fit&finish was so good. It would be a good trail gun, saddle gun or backpack gun. Have a few of the chambers loaded with shotshells for small pest control, and some .45 Colt for bigger threats. The only downside to the Judge aside from it's gargantuan size is the fact that it doesen't stabilize some bullets. Because of it's shallow rifling. I can't remember if it was the light bullets or the heavy ones that keyholed through it. But anyway, at 25 feet it doesen't matter. In fact, a .45 bullet that's already tumbling would be a good defense round! With how heavy the .45 Colt bullets are, penetration won't be an issue.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Friends don't let friends carry Tauruses.

GO check with shooting instructors (And I don't mean CCW instructors... I mena the classes with 1,000 rounds +)

...Ask them how many Tauruses make it throught...

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Got some data on that, I have seen lots of Taurus on the range without any problems. The newer ones are great weapons. By the way I am on the range a lot with other firearms instructors.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Got some data on that, I have seen lots of Taurus on the range without any problems. The newer ones are great weapons. By the way I am on the range a lot with other firearms instructors.

Where are you an instructor?

Gunsite?
Tactical Response?
Thunder Ranch?
Surez?

?????

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Where are you an instructor?

Gunsite?
Tactical Response?
Thunder Ranch?
Surez?

?????
no none of the above. Just a plain old local agency Firearms/ERT instructor who has lived with a firearm on his hip or should since 1963 and has been to a few of those old yearly instructor siminars.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
^ I don't mean to Insult your experence (Which is no doubt considerable)

I've known some OUTSTANDING and squared away cops.

I've ALSO known some that were anything but!

And 'Yearly siminars' is about what I'm talking about (On a level with CCW)

MOST cops rarely train with their firearms, and lets be honest... 95.7% if the time they are using a different tool/aspect of the job.

How many 1,000 round + training classes have those Taursues gone through?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
^ I don't mean to Insult your experence (Which is no doubt considerable)

I've known some OUTSTANDING and squared away cops.

I've ALSO known some that were anything but!

And 'Yearly siminars' is about what I'm talking about (On a level with CCW)

MOST cops rarely train with their firearms, and lets be honest... 95.7% if the time they are using a different tool/aspect of the job.

How many 1,000 round + training classes have those Taursues gone through?

You truly assume a lot. What you don't know about me or the area I am in would fill volumes( I have more sense than to put my data out here on the net). Lets us speak from personnel experience. Have you seen all these new Taurus's falling a part or blowing up or what ever since you did not specify what the problem was.

·
531 Posts
Friends don't let friends carry Tauruses.

GO check with shooting instructors (And I don't mean CCW instructors... I mena the classes with 1,000 rounds +)

...Ask them how many Tauruses make it throught...
I've talked to several guys at the local range, they recommended the Taurus 1911 over several others. They said it had the least return rate due to mechanical issues.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Iv'e always wanted one. I like all guns that can take 2 different kinds of ammo, like .357/.38 . My grandpa has a 20 guage/ 22 magnum shotgun over under style, its a good survival gun too.
+1 on that. I love guns that can use multiple types of ammo. That's one reason I like my little Nagant revlver so much....

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
no no no no revovers arent COOL. autos are COOL. if you wanna be COOL, you gotta have an auto.

im glad there is some new blood on here that likes revolvers. 6 months ago there was nothing but revolver bashing.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I'm thinking about hetting a Taurus Judge. Any thoughts on this gun?

Jim
My thoughts are that it's a great toy. I'd love to have one in my safe. It's somewhat fun to shoot as is any decent revolver. I just don't understand it niche. Recoil with .410 shells is similar to a .45LC, .44spl or .45ACP... #6 shot at 10 yds gave a pattern of about 18 inches.

With .45LC rounds you'd have a lighter, smaller gun if you just bought a .45LC revolver to begin with; no advantage in the Judge. Regarding it's use with .410 shells, the barrel is rifled so the centrifigal force of the spinning shot load is going to force the pattern to expand faster than if it were shot from a smoothbore therefore this is not a particularly good gun for shooting birds or rabbits (the .410 is somewhat challenged in the amount of shot it contains). Secondly .410 shells are loaded with slow burning powder so you have significantly reduced velocity from rounds fired from a 20" barrel (most of your powder is burned after the shot cup has left the barrel - giving a great light show, but lousy performance.) Third if you're going to use 00buck you're only getting 3 .32cal pellets and those at reduced velocity. You'd be better served by a single projectile of larger diameter at self defense distances. Regarding slugs, why not use .45LC and get higher velocity and a larger diameter bullet from the git-go..???

I think it's a fine gun regarding its fit and finish, its reliability and all, but I have not been able to get my brain around why someone would choose it as a self-defense weapon as either a .45LC or a .410 shotgun are more functional in that role...

Allan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hmmm... I thought about the Judge also.. might be good for the following reasons..

1. Multiple ammo type

2. It has the advantage of a shotgun (well...somewhat)... three .32 cal pellets using 00buckshot....but with no danger of overpenetration. Due to its shorter barrel length...the shots wont travel that far.....which is a plus in HD situation. I would be only using this at distances of no more than 15 yards.

3. Because of its small size, more maneuverable......than a regular size SG. And you can aim it like a regular revolver. (unlike pistol grip shotguns)

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it's a fine gun regarding its fit and finish, its reliability and all, but I have not been able to get my brain around why someone would choose it as a self-defense weapon as either a .45LC or a .410 shotgun are more functional in that role...

Allan
For its ammo versatility? Or the fact that there are so few DA .45 Colt revolvers out there?

Jim

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I was thinking it would be neat when boat fishing some of our swampy creeks and the Cotton mouth decides to pay you a visit .

Reactions: Smoothbore

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
no no no no revovers arent COOL. autos are COOL. if you wanna be COOL, you gotta have an auto.

im glad there is some new blood on here that likes revolvers. 6 months ago there was nothing but revolver bashing.
Revolvers are GUNS.

Jammomatics are mechanical contraptions designed to keep people occupied: slamming magazines in, slamming slides into battery, yanking slides back...lots of fun for those who prefer playing with guns, to shooting them. :D:

Jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts