Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
I have:
PT92 - i've has for 20 years, thousands of rounds, no issues. I even LOST part once, and Taurus replaced it free of charge.

24/7 in 40 - i've had it for 4 years, maybe 1000 rounds through it, no problems.

PT111 Pro - i've had it 3 years, also 1000 rounds through it, once the recoil spring guide failed due to me shooting hot hand loads, returned to Taurus, got it back in 3 weeks, no problems since.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Like any other

Like any other firearm manufacturer. They will have a batch that should of not made it through QC. Other then the recent extractor issue, I've had nothing but positive comments on the PT1911.

·
Banned
3,508 Posts
These threads seem to abound on most every firearm forum out there. Taurus, for whatever reason, does not produce an overall quality firearm. For every post you read about a satisfied Taurus owner, you'll read 6 posts about what a POS they are, and how the owner was jerked around by Taurus for months when they attempted to rectify the situation. Usually it was a lesson in futility, with many back and forth attempts before it was made right, if in fact it ever was. More often than not it winds up where the owner of a Taurus sells it in total disgust. The used market is saturated with them for this very reason.

I've never owned a Taurus, and never will. It just isn't worth the risk. When you get right down to it, most every gun they make is a clone of an original that can be purchased for just a couple of hundred dollars more, if that. So why bother chancing the never ending headache? Every one of their revolvers can be had in a quality model in the same caliber, frame size, and barrel length from Smith & Wesson or Ruger. Their Beretta clones are not that much cheaper, and their 1911 clones can be had by literally dozens of better companies who will stand by their products if something should go wrong. They have had a few "novelty" type of weapons like their Titanium revolvers, but even those can be had in a far better, higher quality Smith & Wesson Scandium Frame Model. So again, there is zero reason to take a chance with purchasing a Taurus, and having a potential nightmare on your hands when the damn thing goes down.

Over the years I've come across several gunsmiths who refuse to even work on them, because of the difficulty in obtaining parts in a timely fashion, if at all from Taurus. Their customers wind up waiting weeks for their guns, become impatient, and fault the gunsmith as a result. They too are sick and tired of the headache. Their cheap price attracts new buyers at places like Cabela's who look at an original like a Beretta or an S&W, and are put off by the price. So rather than lose a potential customer the clerk will bring out a similar model in a Taurus, and the customers interest is suddenly reignited. Until he shoots it. Going over all of this I just don't see why anyone would willfully choose a Taurus when there are so many quality weapons out there in a cost range not much above what Taurus manages to sell their headaches for. Bill T.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have never had a problem with any Taurus i have ever owned. My main home defence pistol is a 24/7 Pro DS 40. I have shot around 600 rounds of many kinds of ammo and have had no problems with it at all. I own Colts, Smiths, Walthers and Rugers as well and have had more issues with them than I have had with the Taurus guns I have owned.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
i was thinking of getting the taurus 1911 but i think ill just look at getting a springfield 1911.
I think that would be a wise choice. The Springfield milspec (1 step up from parkerized G.I. model $550)has all the upgrades you need- polished feed ramp, lowered and flared ejection port, beveled mag well and in stainless steel for around $700. Or for $800 you can get a loaded model.

I have had 2 taurus'
An ultralight model 85 that had a f'd up trigger /timing issue. Took it to the gun shop and they told me it was a COMMON problem on Taurus revolvers. And they currently had 3 sent in to Taurus for that very same issue. Gun shop told me I'd be better off selling it ,than waiting 4-6 months for Taurus to fix it.

Taurus can't remember model (Beretta 92fs clone) damn thing shot a foot low and a foot to the left at 25 yrds., lots of sharp unrefined edges.
People will try to tell you that it is on par with Beretta because they make them in a old beretta factory in Brazil, but that is complete B.S. After owning a real Beretta and the taurus clone,I can tell you that there is absolutely NO comparison in quality and workmanship.

I will never settle for a Taurus again, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The thing is, Taurus isn't cheap enough for me to risk dealing with their service people, especially when companies like S&W will practically bend over backwards to make their customers happy. If you want something cheap, get a Hi Point. If you want quality, spend a little more and go with a company with a better track record. There's a reason you seldom see "Don't buy Glock" threads.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The year is 2021. Taurus has stepped their game up with the G2/G2C/G3/G3C/GX4. These firearms have brought Taurus back from near death and I still own my Taurus G2C which was my first gun to own. I’ve had the Taurus 605/66 and a PT92, which those three firearms have been sold but ran like tanks. I’m never getting rid of my G2C because it’s just a good gun, even with my other carry guns it’s still in my rotation and still gets practiced with.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,018 Posts
I own a lot of Taurus guns, unfortunately. I've tried selling, trading and nobody wants them. Few FFLs will carry them. They are an absolute headache.

Of mine, 1 I fired was garbage. Returned multiple times, failed to fix, and a big loss. 2 others were recalled and a complete massive headache to get fairly replaced. Finally replaced and instantly traded off as new.

I would never buy anything stamped Taurus unless it's practically free and meant for training or range use only. Their product sucks. Their customer service is worse than insurance and airline companies, absolutely abysmal. In short, the Taurus brand in is ruined and is absolutely terrible among gun owners. On the Taurus forum they're constantly banning members for honest negative feedback b/c it's overwhelming.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I own a lot of Taurus guns, unfortunately. I've tried selling, trading and nobody wants them. Few FFLs will carry them. They are an absolute headache.

Of mine, 1 I fired was garbage. Returned multiple times, failed to fix, and a big loss. 2 others were recalled and a complete massive headache to get fairly replaced. Finally replaced and instantly traded off as new.

I would never buy anything stamped Taurus unless it's practically free and meant for training or range use only. Their product sucks. Their customer service is worse than insurance and airline companies, absolutely abysmal. In short, the Taurus brand in is ruined and is absolutely terrible among gun owners. On the Taurus forum they're constantly banning members for honest negative feedback b/c it's overwhelming.
What year did you get these firearms? After 2015 they changed hands and updated many of their firearms. Both my revolvers had new finishes and grip designs. I understand that Taurus was a nightmare in the past but after 2015 they cleaned up.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,018 Posts
What year did you get these firearms? After 2015 they changed hands and updated many of their firearms. Both my revolvers had new finishes and grip designs. I understand that Taurus was a nightmare in the past but after 2015 they cleaned up.
False.
I probably have or had more Taurus firearms than the average gun owner has guns. I have only shot a few of them, and 1 was a turd. That's a high problem rate. Then 2 were recall guns (2 different designs out of a 9 or 10 gun design recall). That's another high incident problem rate. So roughly 20% of my Taurus guns were junk.

I've not shot most of them, due to time/ammo constraints and I have other guns I prefer. I've tried to sell or trade them off at decent prices and literally the same responses everywhere, nobody wants a Taurus. Many gun shops refuse to carry Taurus. I know FFLs that absolutely hate them.

Read the endless horror stories around the internet on guns that break and no parts available and customer service being the worst of any industry.

Post 2015, I had to deal with their CS and it was atrocious and finally required me talking to the lawyers involved in the settlement in order to get my cases resolved. As I recall, it took about 4 years or so to get fair resolution to force them to adhere to their own settlement terms. I wrote the company 3-4 times, wrote the judge twice, wrote the lawyers on both sides, and finally, after long time investments, got them to replace my guns fairly. That took years, and a lot of letters and phone calls and chats with their CS.

When I did get two replacement 1911s in 2019, my FFL gunsmith inspected these new guns and laughed at the terrible fit and finish. I traded them off immediately.

Post 2015, I've read reliably about it taking 6 months, 1 year, longer to get replacement guns...

Until you have a problem, it's all fine and dandy. But their problem incident rate is quite high and then when you have to deal with CS, you'll learn.

·
Registered
54 Posts
False.
I probably have or had more Taurus firearms than the average gun owner has guns. I have only shot a few of them, and 1 was a turd. That's a high problem rate. Then 2 were recall guns (2 different designs out of a 9 or 10 gun design recall). That's another high incident problem rate. So roughly 20% of my Taurus guns were junk.

I've not shot most of them, due to time/ammo constraints and I have other guns I prefer. I've tried to sell or trade them off at decent prices and literally the same responses everywhere, nobody wants a Taurus. Many gun shops refuse to carry Taurus. I know FFLs that absolutely hate them.

Read the endless horror stories around the internet on guns that break and no parts available and customer service being the worst of any industry.

Post 2015, I had to deal with their CS and it was atrocious and finally required me talking to the lawyers involved in the settlement in order to get my cases resolved. As I recall, it took about 4 years or so to get fair resolution to force them to adhere to their own settlement terms. I wrote the company 3-4 times, wrote the judge twice, wrote the lawyers on both sides, and finally, after long time investments, got them to replace my guns fairly. That took years, and a lot of letters and phone calls and chats with their CS.

When I did get two replacement 1911s in 2019, my FFL gunsmith inspected these new guns and laughed at the terrible fit and finish. I traded them off immediately.

Post 2015, I've read reliably about it taking 6 months, 1 year, longer to get replacement guns...

Until you have a problem, it's all fine and dandy. But their problem incident rate is quite high and then when you have to deal with CS, you'll learn.
Forgive me but I was in Special Education at a young age so if you could explain to me specifically how may Taurus firearms did you have in total to say that “20% of your firearms are junk”? Also were those Taurus firearms the only guns you had? If they were then I understand your frustration. But like many that hate Taurus tend to exaggerate and make it out to be as if they’re being immediately attacked by hordes of Orcs from the Lod of the Rings and they sent their junk gun off to be repaired and they’re left defenseless as Sauron approaches.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Post is over 10 yrs. old and the person you are posting to has not been on here in 11mo.
Welcome to the boards

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
False.
I probably have or had more Taurus firearms ...
Cool story dude.

Now quit being snarky about things, and playing the lawyer game of twisting the words, and just tell the guy what model of gun you bought that was made after 2015? No one cares if you were in litigation in 2015, no one cares if the company didn't actually change hands....I don't believe they did? But it doesn't matter.

The pertinent thing is...have you bought or even shot a single new model Taurus since AFTER the melt down and lawsuits they went through? G2? G2C? G3 or GX4?

Any? At all?

Because I have three Taurus handguns that run 100%. Maybe the problem is you?

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,018 Posts
Forgive me but I was in Special Education at a young age so if you could explain to me specifically how may Taurus firearms did you have in total to say that “20% of your firearms are junk”? Also were those Taurus firearms the only guns you had? If they were then I understand your frustration. But like many that hate Taurus tend to exaggerate and make it out to be as if they’re being immediately attacked by hordes of Orcs from the Lod of the Rings and they sent their junk gun off to be repaired and they’re left defenseless as Sauron approaches.
Taurus is a crapshoot, worst of any gun maker, with atrocious CS. Good luck.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,018 Posts
Cool story dude.

Now quit being snarky about things, and playing the lawyer game of twisting the words, and just tell the guy what model of gun you bought that was made after 2015? No one cares if you were in litigation in 2015, no one cares if the company didn't actually change hands....I don't believe they did? But it doesn't matter.

The pertinent thing is...have you bought or even shot a single new model Taurus since AFTER the melt down and lawsuits they went through? G2? G2C? G3 or GX4?

Any? At all?

Because I have three Taurus handguns that run 100%. Maybe the problem is you?
Reading comprehension and common decency. I'm 100% sure I have more guns and more trigger time on more platforms than you. And as I said, in 2019 I received two brand new 1911s as replacement guns and my FFL gunsmith examined them and laughed at the poor quality control.

I've had well over a dozen models/guns by Taurus. I foolishly kept buying them before testing, to buy inexpensive used guns that had a good warranty in an Obama era of concerns of gun bans. I'd have been wiser to buy quality guns considering those went up in value but you can barely give away a Taurus. Nobody wants them, for good reason. A depreciated item in a market of appreciating quality guns.

Welcome to my growing ignore list.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Taurus is a crapshoot, worst of any gun maker, with atrocious CS. Good luck.
You know what you do you. I never understood how people get uptight over a budget gun having issues but when a Glock or Sig have a major malfunction it’s “all apart of God’s plan”.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,018 Posts
You know what you do you. I never understood how people get uptight over a budget gun having issues but when a Glock or Sig have a major malfunction it’s “all apart of God’s plan”.
I could say the same about folks who defend a widely known garbage product b/c they never had a problem. You just wait. You'll experience it at some point, nearly everyone with a Taurus seems to.

The rate of incidents and problems with Taurus is significantly higher than any major gun maker. They were sued and forced to recall like 9 or 10 models by court settlement. Most of their semi-autos were effected. To my knowledge no other major modern gun maker has has to recall most of their guns in a particular generation/design.

It's acceptable for 1 new very innovative gun to have teething problems, and need a new generation and a fix. It's another issue to recall 10 models due to a faulty trigger that will fire if shaken. Oh, and let's not forget, a huge Rossi recall, also owned by Taurus. lol. It's a garbage brand, expect to get a garbage product.

Also, other companies do voluntary service bulletins if they learn of a problem. They don't wait to be sued and forced. That's called corporate responsibility. Taurus, no they had to be sued and forced. Lacking corporate responsibility.

Next, is the customer service. I've had guns fixed or parts shipped to me by other companies that had problems including CZ, FN, MSAR, Keltec, Ruger, SW.... and you know what? These were voluntary service bulletins, fix or replace items free. They have items fixed, replaced, or parts in my hand in 1-3 weeks. No exceptions. For Taurus to take 6, 12, 18 months to replace a gun or fix it or ship a part is simply unsat.

It's funny, when over on the Taurus Armed loyalists website, they are constantly banning owners who come there to give honest negative feedback. They are overly defensive about that brand, which is basically trash. If you spend any time there, and I have, a mountain of complaints that lead to near instant bans of members. Very loyalists to that product.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I could say the same about folks who defend a widely known garbage product b/c they never had a problem. You just wait. You'll experience it at some point, nearly everyone with a Taurus seems to.

The rate of incidents and problems with Taurus is significantly higher than any major gun maker. They were sued and forced to recall like 9 or 10 models by court settlement. Most of their semi-autos were effected. To my knowledge no other major modern gun maker has has to recall most of their guns in a particular generation/design.

It's acceptable for 1 new very innovative gun to have teething problems, and need a new generation and a fix. It's another issue to recall 10 models due to a faulty trigger that will fire if shaken. Oh, and let's not forget, a huge Rossi recall, also owned by Taurus. lol. It's a garbage brand, expect to get a garbage product.

Also, other companies do voluntary service bulletins if they learn of a problem. They don't wait to be sued and forced. That's called corporate responsibility. Taurus, no they had to be sued and forced. Lacking corporate responsibility.

Next, is the customer service. I've had guns fixed or parts shipped to me by other companies that had problems including CZ, FN, MSAR, Keltec, Ruger, SW.... and you know what? These were voluntary service bulletins, fix or replace items free. They have items fixed, replaced, or parts in my hand in 1-3 weeks. No exceptions. For Taurus to take 6, 12, 18 months to replace a gun or fix it or ship a part is simply unsat.

It's funny, when over on the Taurus Armed loyalists website, they are constantly banning owners who come there to give honest negative feedback. They are overly defensive about that brand, which is basically trash. If you spend any time there, and I have, a mountain of complaints that lead to near instant bans of members. Very loyalists to that product.
I’m not disagreeing that Taurus had a shady past. I’m well aware of it, but I do give credit where credit is due and that’s they’ve cleaned up their mess. Is it squeaky clean? No. But I’ve done shot up my Taurus G2C enough to still carry it and add extra upgrades to it. My G2C is still in my carry rotation with my M&P’s 1.0 in 40 s&w and my 2.0 in 9mm. I’ve seen no other reason to replace it. I picked it when went to go buy my first firearm over the M&P Shield and the overrated Glock 26. That should say something. I’m not defending Taurus the company but I’ll defend the G2C. You don’t need to spend a fortune for a gun in America. Hallelujah and I’m not even religious.

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
Reading comprehension and common decency. I'm 100% sure I have more guns and more trigger time on more platforms than you. And as I said, in 2019 I received two brand new 1911s as replacement guns and my FFL gunsmith examined them and laughed at the poor quality control.
Common decency? Wow, you are full of yourself aren't you?
In 2019, Taurus 1911's were still the old design. You aren't even talking about the same thing anyone else is.

So your gunsmith snickered at their 1911's? Bet he'd have had a stroke over my Metro Arms Filipino 1911, which is 100% reliable. 2019 replacements.....which probably weren't even made in 2019, or even 2018? And you didn't actually BUY the guns? Didn't even touch the guns? Didn't shoot them? Have zero first hand experience? Expand on your thesis here, we are all wondering, you make it sound so...icky!

So in conclusion....As I surmised, you have ZERO experience with the new designs of Taurus after their melt down. Your opinion is based on the old designs, rather than the new designs.

Ignore away. If you can't show me wrong, I guess that's one way to pretend you were right.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,018 Posts
I’m not disagreeing that Taurus had a shady past. I’m well aware of it, but I do give credit where credit is due and that’s they’ve cleaned up their mess. Is it squeaky clean? No. But I’ve done shot up my Taurus G2C enough to still carry it and add extra upgrades to it. My G2C is still in my carry rotation with my M&P’s 1.0 in 40 s&w and my 2.0 in 9mm. I’ve seen no other reason to replace it. I picked it when went to go buy my first firearm over the M&P Shield and the overrated Glock 26. That should say something. I’m not defending Taurus the company but I’ll defend the G2C. You don’t need to spend a fortune for a gun in America. Hallelujah and I’m not even religious.
Congratulations on your sample of 1 that works as it's supposed to. It only took Taurus what, 15 years to finally recall defective guns that would shoot when you shake them hard. lol.

I guess the millions of people including FFLs who refuse the brand must be wrong and reconsider, because you got one that works - for now - and never dealt with their customer service.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts