Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I like my Taurus 1911, but the finish is friggin horrible. Doesn't take much of anything to make it scratch and rust. The metal on my entry level youth model Winchester 20 gauge that I got when I was 12 about 22 years ago and have banged it up in several different closets and woods throughout my life looks nearly brand new compared to my Taurus 1911 that is less than 1 year old and has been babied in a case and only has 250 rounds shot through it. Horrible, horrible finish.

·
1,583 Posts
I had a Taurus 7 shot 357 that locked up constantly. After two trips to the factory at my expense (shipping) and months of waiting they finaly got it working right. I sold it after that, I just had no faith in the weapon and got rid of it. While I agree that Taurus has some quality control issues, this is a problem that is industry wide at the moment. I am hearing QC complaints about top shelf makers like S&W, Sig, Kimber and others. As someone above pointed out this is a sellers market lately making it easy to get away with peddling crap. Anymore there just isn't any way of knowing how good the product will be short of owning it, regardless of brand name or reputation.
Exactly. :thumb:

·
Rome fell.
316 Posts
Me too. Same problem. I used to defend them, I own about 4 of their guns. They all have had some issue. I fixed most of them, but the last one I had to send back. POS. They got it back to me 3 months later. Again, POS. I have decided that when it comes to guns, you get what you pay for.

·
Long Trump
4,448 Posts
Reviving an old thread here for those who may not know how bad Taurus guns can be.

I knew about their non existent customer service, the horrible quality control, malfunction issues to the extreme, etc. I still bought a PT-145 Millennium Pro because of the way it fit my hand and some of the features it had over similar guns. I bought it to replace a Walther PPk/S in 380acp. The PT-145 has 10 rounds of 45acp in the mag vs 6 rounds of 380acp in the Walther, and it is the same size only fatter.

The gun needed a lot of tweaking to get it to work, which my son did (he's a machinist). You couldn't eject a live round, it stove piped, failed to fire sometimes, etc, etc.

I've since run over a 1000 rounds through it with zero problems & love this gun for conceal carry. Just know if you buy any Taurus weapon that you will have problems and don't even think of calling the company . . . unless you enjoy getting jerked around and lied to. Trust me I know.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
- St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
I've owned a SS Taurus M44 - best trigger on a revolver I have ever shot. The gun was solid and I didn't have a single problem with it.

I now own a Taurus Ti Tracker .357 Mag. Nice shooting gun - although it is very light, it balances well and between the porting and the grips, the recoil and muzzle flip are very manageable, making it a pleasant gun to shoot. That said, the gun locked up after the first 50 rounds. The problem was that the gun left the factory with less than 0.001" cylinder to barrel gap.

I have read around and it seems this is a problem with Taurus revolvers - some leave the factory with a too small gap and they lock up. It isn't a design issue - they just don't do good quality control. Normal gap is at least 0.002" or more.

I have also noticed that Taurus will put a particular gun on the market and the next year it is off the market with rumors of design problems.

IMO, Taurus makes some innovative and interesting handguns, but their QA/QC sucks. Some guns make it out of the factory without proper QC. Some designs are not properly tested rigorously (QA).

That is one major reason why I bought a S&W revolver for a "bear gun" instead of a similar Taurus (the other reason was the cylinders on the Taurus were too short to take the bear loads I wanted to shoot).

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I've owned 2 Tauruses: a 4" .357 and a .38 Snubby. They seem to work pretty well for me, but I keep them clean and oiled. A friend bought himself one of the same .38 Snubbies and he's sold on it. Lots of rounds through it too.

I've heard that Taurus semiautos are trouble but have never owned any. If someone has reservations about Taurus they should spend more money and get something they feel better about.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
I don't know if Taurus is picking up the customer service quality, or if my friend just got lucky. But he sent one in and had it back inside of 2 weeks. He even got to talk to the gunsmith who repaired it and he explained in detail what caused the problem and how they fixed it, etc. Totally out of character for Taurus, who are noted for poor customer service and very slow turnarounds on repairs. His gun came back 100% functional.

So here's hoping that Taurus is getting their collective act together. They do make some innovative and affordable guns. If they'd just get a grip on the quality and customer service issues, they'd be a major contender. Otherwise, I can't see them staying in business a whole lot longer with the reputation they have.

·
Long Trump
4,448 Posts
I don't know if Taurus is picking up the customer service quality, or if my friend just got lucky. But he sent one in and had it back inside of 2 weeks. He even got to talk to the gunsmith who repaired it and he explained in detail what caused the problem and how they fixed it, etc. Totally out of character for Taurus, who are noted for poor customer service and very slow turnarounds on repairs. His gun came back 100% functional.

So here's hoping that Taurus is getting their collective act together. They do make some innovative and affordable guns. If they'd just get a grip on the quality and customer service issues, they'd be a major contender. Otherwise, I can't see them staying in business a whole lot longer with the reputation they have.
Wow - he hit the lottery with that response from Taurus. It wouldn't take much to make that company world class for the price of their product. But from my experience and others they just don't care - a typical 3rd world country attitude. I hope they did indeed change.

·
The Over 40 Club
1,412 Posts
I am sorry those of you that have had Taurus problems , but I have three of them a 24/7 , a 709 and a 738.

The 709 is my main daily carry , I have literally put thousands of rounds through it and no problems , same for the 738.

The 24/7 has hundreds of rounds through it. Same thing no problems. Maybe I have just been lucky but when I am ready for a wheel gun I will buy a Taurus.

I have a shooting range at my house so they get shot a lot.

I can not answer to customer service because I have never had to use it.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've had some magazine issues with my Mil pro pt145, but since switching to 24/7 mags I haven't had any problems.

·
Premium Member
12,937 Posts

So here's hoping that Taurus is getting their collective act together.
wow.....wish remington would.

·
Registered
28 Posts
PT 1911 45acp bas batch of extractors

I"ve had a bunch of the PT 1911 coming in with lots of broken extractos. Two options. scrap the FP safety plunger and use a good 70 series extractor, or if you can and want the safety. You will need to mod an 80 series extractor so it will retain the FP plunger. I used wilson extractors in their PT's and they hadn't any problems yet. Just an FYI

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
Ive owned a half dozen taurus revolvers and automatics. 3 have been back to taurus. 1 phone call to amke arangements for repair and they send fed-ex to my door to pick up the firearm the very next day. The the longest i ever waited was just over 3 weeks for one, but the other 2 took less then 2 weeks. My pt111 has never needed to go back for repairs, and i have over 1000 rounds thru it. Its my carry gun, and it gets shot every week. They have done a great job in my opinion. The beauty of their warrenty is you dont need to be the origional owner. I had to send my xd9 back for reapiar, and i had all kind of warrenty . Despite the fact in was only 2 months old, i was in fact the 2nd owner. The first owner hated how it fit his hand and sold it to me. When i mentioned that without thinking to the rep on the phone, they didnt want to warrenty it for me. And dispite asking for them to pay shipping they did not. seems to me there are worse companies then taurus out there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought a 1911 in 38 Super last year. I have shot around 2 thousand thru it so far and have had zero problems. It was my single stack gun for USPSA for a while till I decided to go back to production. It never failed me in a match thru a season and that says a lot to me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The PT92 series are pretty decent...

It took Taurus a while to fix some manufacturing issues with their earlier runs, but, the mid-90s and beyond are quite respectable guns.

My PT92 AFS (posted on this already) is very accurate, very reliable, and goes bang every time.

That said, anyone who ignores the history of poor service from Taurus is in for a rude awakening. If you have a reliable Taurus pistol or revolver, keep it!!!

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
I've dealt with three Taurus firearms. Two auto pistols and one revolver. There hasn't been a single issue with any. Maybe I've gotten lucky. Maybe it will take me being burned really good to learn what people here are saying, but until that happens, I'll continue to be a customer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pt1911

I've never had a problem with their revolvers. But, lately I've had a few PT1911 come into the shop with broken extractors, each firearm had less then two mags before the malfunction. I noticed that the hook on the extractors were way to tight and most likely causing the break. Now the extractors are specific to them and the normal 80 series wont hold the plunger in the slide. I gave each customer the option of going to a 70 series type extractor or I could machine the 70 extractor and they could have the FP safety. I did one of each job and had no problems. Just an FYI:eek:

41 - 60 of 91 Posts