Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Old Soldier
5,072 Posts
I have a 605 (357 snubbie) and a 65 (357 4") and neither one has given me a lick of trouble. In fact, the 65 was used when I bought it.
I bought a PT1911 because of the ambi safety, and that's the only thing that has given me trouble - the "off" side came loose a couple of times until I "re-installed" it with a 20 oz framing hammer. Problem solved. Guy on another site said his Kimber had the same problem so I don't feel too bad.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I own two a Taurus 44 special I have had for about 20 years never a problem. I also purchased a Taurus Pro PT145 about 2 years ago. Never had a problem with it either.

Reactions: rncmomx2

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a Taurus 7 shot 357 that locked up constantly. After two trips to the factory at my expense (shipping) and months of waiting they finaly got it working right. I sold it after that, I just had no faith in the weapon and got rid of it. While I agree that Taurus has some quality control issues, this is a problem that is industry wide at the moment. I am hearing QC complaints about top shelf makers like S&W, Sig, Kimber and others. As someone above pointed out this is a sellers market lately making it easy to get away with peddling crap. Anymore there just isn't any way of knowing how good the product will be short of owning it, regardless of brand name or reputation.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I built a trigger for a Millenium 9mm because Taurus would not sell the customer extra triggers and he kept breaking them. The repeated breakage was actually his fault by his finger placement but the customer service was terrible, 7weeeks turn-around.

·
Registered
387 Posts
i would not trust my life with anything south of the border... european or american..thats it...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Customer service means a lot to me. I don't care if it is a washing machine or a firearm, if the manufacturer does not stand behind his product, I never buy from them again. I understand that occasionally a defective product will slip through the cracks, even in the best companies. Maybe an employee was hung over, stressed out, angry with his boss or whatever the situation might be. If the company makes the situation right, in a reasonable amount of time, I will continue to do business with them. If not, there are a lot of other companies that would appreciate my business and treat me with respect.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
Like any company that produces to a price point, Taurus ships out their products without a lot of final quality control. It's cheaper for them to repair any returns than it is to try and weed those returns out ahead of time. So there will be the occasional dud.

What I don't like is that their customer service is so iffy. Sometimes they're great to deal with and sometimes they're not. It just depends on who you get in touch with.

I don't own many Tauruses (Tauri?) but I have had pretty fair luck with the ones I do have. They wouldn't be at the top of my list when looking for a new gun, but I'm relatively satisfied with their guns so far. They really need to get their customer service together though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks for the warning, I am looking to get my first 357 magnum revolver and was thinking about getting Taurus because of the price. I guess I'll go with S&W or Ruger.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I had a Taurus 44spl and I was not happy at all with it. It was not accurate, 4in barrel and it shot like a S&W snubby.

After a few hundred rounds it would start to lock up, becoming a single action. A good cleaning and it would run fine for about 2-300rds then do the same.

That gun was made in 93, maybe things have changed, but it has made me very wary of their products. I have shot the 92 clones and they worked fine, but Beretta designed that one.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I've had a Taurus PT-111 Millenium Pro for about four years now. It's my EDC gun and I have never had any problems with it jamming, or otherwise. It's a great gun.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a pt 111 9mm, model 85 38spl, m44 44mag.(6 in), pt 92 9mm, and a tracker in 357. I had a problem with the star extracter on the tracker. Called them up. Talked to their customer service with no problem. They said i'd have to send it in and a fed-ex guy would be there tomorrow to pick it up. postage was paid by taurus.
I was pleased with everything and no, i don't work for them. i am any actual satisfied customer.

·
Warrior of the wasteland.
149 Posts
My Dad has a model 669 and 85 for close to 20 years now and hasn't had a problem with either. I own a pt 145, I had read the mixed reviews and decided to go ahead and give it a shot. I have 740rds in it so far and no problems besides having to tweak the feed lips on one of the magazines it came with.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Pardon my bias, or my ignorance on different brands/mfgs.
But when it comes to firearms I would never buy what I consider off brands, again pardon my ignorance if this is an ignorant response (ignorance=lack of information).
With Smith & Wesson and Ruger out there I could never see myself purchasing a Taurus or a Charter Arms or any of those kind of brands-I mean how much more is a Smith or a Ruger.
And I'm not some high faloot'n gun collector or anything like that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Taurus

I bought one of the first Taurus 709's that came out. It would not extract most of the rounds in the magazine. Sent it back. It was fixed properly and returned in two weeks

·
Registered
44 Posts
taurus

well instead of starting another thread ill put this here...I just sent my new taurus 357 4" model 627 back because the cylinder was locking up every 3-4 rounds. the reason i bought this gun was a friend had one and every time
we went to the range i'd end up putting more rounds thru it than him because i liked the way it handled all around.well it took a couple weeks after i got it
before I took it to the range.when it locked up the first time i thought maybe it was the ammo(remington)but then it kept doing it so after "forcing" 50 rounds thru it I was almost sick.i was hoping with taurus's warranty I would
send it back get it fixed and be back to shooting. After reading this thread
Im a little worried.my gun dealer said mit would be about a month before
ill get it back so Ill let you know how it goes for me.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I got a little Taurus 25 a couple years ago..It wouldn't shoot strait..I called, sent it in..They sent me back a new strait shooter the next week. No problems after 400rds, made me happy.

·
Premium Member
12,937 Posts
well instead of starting another thread ill put this here...I just sent my new taurus 357 4" model 627 back because the cylinder was locking up every 3-4 rounds. the reason i bought this gun was a friend had one and every time
we went to the range i'd end up putting more rounds thru it than him because i liked the way it handled all around.well it took a couple weeks after i got it
before I took it to the range.when it locked up the first time i thought maybe it was the ammo(remington)but then it kept doing it so after "forcing" 50 rounds thru it I was almost sick.i was hoping with taurus's warranty I would
send it back get it fixed and be back to shooting. After reading this thread
Im a little worried.my gun dealer said mit would be about a month before
ill get it back so Ill let you know how it goes for me.
wow...and i was under the impression they had fixed the cylinder bind problem years ago..........

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I bought a 4 ich tracker in 41 magnum (5 shot) because no other manufacturer had this gun type for weight, carry in woods. Three friends were so impressed they each bought one, no trouble to date, but admittedly these guns are not used for target, but still shot a fair amount. I hadheard rumors the autos were somewhat more of a problem, but what co. doesn't have some. I have a couple Rugers in single action that are very dependable but that's a different platform for me.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts