Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned 7 Taurus' over the years. I like their design, ergonomics and price. Their customer service and quality control is awful. Taurus business executives also have very poor business judgment.

Long story, short. I owned a 24/7 OSS 9mm. The gun would not fire in double action mode. The screw holding the recoil spring on the rod was also walking off. After wasting a ton of time talking to Taurus, they finally sent me some parts to try and fix the gun. I was able to fix it. I saved Taurus at least $100, in shipping, admin and labor costs by fixing it myself and not sending it back. I saved the hassle of sending the gun to Taurus, being without the gun for months and possibly not having it fixed.

I replaced the OSS with a brand new PT809. The 809 had two major problems. First, the front sight was visibly off center. Second, the trigger would stick and not reset. I paid a gunsmith to move the sight. I fixed the trigger. There were also some other small issues. I sent Taurus emails and letters simply asking to be made whole with respect to my costs. Again, I saved Taurus at least $100 in costs.

NO RESPONSE AT ALL. I wrote Bob Morrison and the COO. NO RESPONSE.

In the past on this forum and others I have defended Taurus. No more. Taurus does not respect its customers. They do not have the common decency to respond to legitimate issues.

Taurus may be enjoying a sellers market. However, markets have a way of changing. Taurus may find that their poor business practices today will result in real financial problems in the future.

Future Taurus buyer be warned.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One addition to the rant. My PT709 had a couple FTEs the other day at the range. I found that Taurus had redesigned the extractor to fix the problem.

I called Taurus to have them send me a new extractor. Leo won't send me the extractor and says that Taurus cannot determine from the s/n if my gun has a new or old extractor.

In the thread on Taurusarmed.net about the extractor, the OP wrote that the Taurus CS rep looked up his s/n and determined that it had an old extractor.

Someone is lying, either Leo or the OP on TA.

·
Premium Member
12,937 Posts
i had some problems early on in the 90's with taurus revolvers locking up....i have never purchased another tuarus product since

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have two Taurus revolvers: one new and one used. So far no problems but at a gun shop I looked at another new Taurus revolver just to look at it. The gun locked up. The dealer just put it back on the shelf as if nothing was wrong. I guess he hoped it would function properly for the next customer and get it sold.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
what good is a lifetime warrenty if they dont honor it. after what i have heard of taurus quality and particularly their custumer service.

i was thinking of getting the taurus 1911 but i think ill just look at getting a springfield 1911.for the same money it may not have all the bells and whistles like the taurus but it has a better chance of working and if it doesnt the customer service will be much better thumb:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hum, things have changed. i bought a mod.85 when they first came out. The cylinder bound up at one spot when it started to get dirty from firing.

I sent it in. I have had work done to the gun, trigger work and bobbed hammer, many companies would have voided the warrenty. They said that work has nothing to do with my problem and they would replace the gun.

I asked if they would replace it with the new concealed hammer one, "sure no problem".

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
I have a M44 .44 Mag with 8" barrel, and a 445 snubby chambered in .44 Special. Both have digested THOUSANDS of full-power factory and handloads without any drama or issues.. They both have good trigger pulls, are accurate, and have never once let me down. I trust my life with them.

FWIW, they were made in 1996 and 1997

Taurus makes excellent revolvers in my humble opinion

·
Registered
735 Posts
Iknow a guy who has a 1911 taurus. The only problem he had was shooting steel case Wolf ammo thru it. That resultedd in a busted extractor and it ttook a couple of months to get a replacement.

·
Watching, Waiting....
1,473 Posts
I had a Taurus .38 Revolver several years ago That my Grandfather bought me and ended up carrying it when working in Security as a young man. To make a long story short. It work perfectly the night I had to use it. That was the most important factor for me. Finish, trigger pull, etc... All issues that I have read about fell to the side the night I was forced to use mine. I don't remember the recoil, the flash or the bang but I was the last man standing. I am not sure about the quality of their Semi-autos but the revolver stood its ground and barked when I gave the command. Hence the reason the first pistol I purchased my son was a .38 Taurus revolver.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Warrenty on a gun?? Such a contridiction of terms. Almost like the term "Life Insurance".

I never even read the warrenty terms when I purchase. If it fails me I will not be alive to have the free repair done. If it is in their shop having the free repair done it is useless to me.

I do not want a product from a company with a fantastic repair service, its own zip code or or an in house UPS office.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I had a problem some five years ago (before the upswing in the market) and had no problems getting it fixed through Taurus. However, like anything else, sometimes when the business is good companies often shortchange their customers--because they know they will get the business anyway.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Warrenty on a gun?? Such a contridiction of terms. Almost like the term "Life Insurance".

I never even read the warrenty terms when I purchase. If it fails me I will not be alive to have the free repair done. If it is in their shop having the free repair done it is useless to me.

I do not want a product from a company with a fantastic repair service, its own zip code or or an in house UPS office.
so you never fire a weapon unless its a life threatening situation? :eek: you must be one of those types that buys a weapon but NEVER goes to the range to learn how to use it? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Maybe the folks at Taurus have bad business sense...but I bet their retirement funds are full....they are just waiting for the cash cow to stop producing milk

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts

Even life-support machines and nuclear reactors occasionally fail. Nothing is 100% dependable. Warrantys on guns are great things, especially if you put thousands of rounds through it for practice.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I have owned 7 Taurus' over the years. I like their design, ergonomics and price. Their customer service and quality control is awful. Taurus business executives also have very poor business judgment.

Long story, short. I owned a 24/7 OSS 9mm. The gun would not fire in double action mode. The screw holding the recoil spring on the rod was also walking off. After wasting a ton of time talking to Taurus, they finally sent me some parts to try and fix the gun. I was able to fix it. I saved Taurus at least $100, in shipping, admin and labor costs by fixing it myself and not sending it back. I saved the hassle of sending the gun to Taurus, being without the gun for months and possibly not having it fixed.

In the past on this forum and others I have defended Taurus. No more. Taurus does not respect its customers. They do not have the common decency to respond to legitimate issues.

Taurus may be enjoying a sellers market. However, markets have a way of changing. Taurus may find that their poor business practices today will result in real financial problems in the future.

Future Taurus buyer be warned.
They don't normally pay shipping on handguns in need of repair either. Smith and Wesson usually does, but not Taurus. That is why the cost difference in purchase price is usually negated as soon as there is an issue. Ship it back once and there goes the money you saved.

I have 2 taurus revolvers that I got at great prices. Works fine but I did have to call customer support once. Very unprofessional.

But to be honest, I didn't expect a high level of dedication to customers from them. In fact my general opinion of "customer service" in general has declined in the past 2 decades. It is now more "corporate service" rather than customer service.

Customer service is more of a bonus to me nowadays instead of a consideration. Consumers want quaility product and cheap prices... something has got to give. People don't purchase guns thinking "ohh this company has GREAT customer service! I am buying it over this $200 cheaper gun!". Taurus reputation is already pretty low and people are still buying, so why bother spending all that money trying to change that. Smith and Wesson or Remington have large reputations to maintain so they have to spend to keep that going.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i had some problems early on in the 90's with taurus revolvers locking up....i have never purchased another tuarus product since

I had the same problem with a Taurus stainless steel .357 about the same time frame. It was fixed supposedly but locked up again pretty quickly. I got it fixed again (by dealer/G'smith) but I didn't have any trust in it by that time and traded it back to the dealer for something else.

Besides losing money on that gun I lost faith in Taurus quality or lack of quality and I've never felt like shelling out the money for their products since.

·
Registered
337 Posts
From what I have heard from friends, gun salesman, and this site...I would never purchase a Taurus. Going to stick to Glock, Springfield, Rock River, and Remington. They haven't failed me yet!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I owned a Taurus 357 revolver in the late 90's that would lock-up after firing a few rounds and shortly there after I got rid of it.
However after that I purchased a PT111 in 9mm it was a great gun, as accurate and reliable a defensive handgun needs to be, My wife had a PT92-AR it also was a great gun, I wish I had not sold it (I would probably replace it with a Beretta 92 now).

With that said, I would not by another Taurus, there are too many other gun manufactures out there with better reputations for quality and service. While costing only slightly more, My Dan Wesson and Colt cost more than a Taurus 1911, but quality and service are better.

When the barrel on my Defender split, I shipped it to colt they fixed it no questions asked, even though it may have been due to my hand-loads. Turnaround was less that 3 weeks.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
so you never fire a weapon unless its a life threatening situation? :eek: you must be one of those types that buys a weapon but NEVER goes to the range to learn how to use it? :rolleyes:
Nope, that does not apply here. Althoug my range trips are few. I can shoot out the window of the shop any time I feel inclined. I have worn out more shoes walking to the target and back than you will probaly ever own. Therefore I bough automatic resetting targets years ago.

I have found that if I buy good merchandise I do not have to worry about it. I have one S&W pistol that has worn out three sets of loading dies. If S&W stopped offering a warrenty I would still buy their products.

Come to think about it, I don't remember filling out a warrenty card on anything I was issued in the Army either. I don't ever remember asking how may thousand rounds had gone through any of them.

I also own Tarus and Rossi (same folks) products. Never had any problems with them and never expect too, therefore I do not care what their warrenty is.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts