Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tattler Lids

For those of you with experience using these I have a couple questions.

Do you use your regular metal rings to hold the lid on while canning?
How well do the gaskets hold up?
What is the best way to store the rings?
Do you heat them before placing them on jars?
Can you use them for both water bath and pressure canning?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts

·
Registered
34,377 Posts
For those of you with experience using these I have a couple questions.

Do you use your regular metal rings to hold the lid on while canning?yes
How well do the gaskets hold up?I set some aside and used them 8x before they got mixed in with the rest. Reportedly 20x+.
What is the best way to store the rings?
don't know. I put them in a plastic bag in a box, or on a sterilized jar.
Do you heat them before placing them on jars?yes
Can you use them for both water bath and pressure canning?

Thanks in advance.
I do.

Words.

·
One day at a time ...
1,851 Posts
Agree, of course, with what was said above. The only problem I've had with Tattler lids (besides me not tightening rings after removing jars from canner) is when using them with a jar sealer. I mean the type of thing like the attachment for a FoodSaver. Every time I tried this with Tattler lids the seal failed in days. So I've stopped using Tattlers with a jar sealer and just used traditional lids.

For the gasket and lid, remember to put in simmering, not boiling, water.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Tattler, reusable canning jar lids. Has anyone tried them??

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these Tattler canning jar lids?

Regular snap lids have a definite short life span. Either the inner paint gets scratched or the rubber gets damaged. Having lids that can last many years is certainly a serious advantage, when thinking long term.

Was wondering if anyone has any feedback on these??

http://www.reusablecanninglids.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wife bought some of them last year and we have used them a couple of times since then. Haven't had any issues with them, and she plans to get more of them in the future.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Have heard great things if you use them properly. I have some but haven't tried them yet
If I do switch to them, I'm gonna really miss the "ping" sound from the old style lids. I really love hearing that ping.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
I've had them for several years and I'm happy. I do have a slightly higher failure to seal rate with them than the regular ones, though. You don't get the "ping" or snap sound to tell you they've sealed. You just have to wait till they're completely cooled and give the lid a little nudge to see if it took.

You leave the ring a little looser than you do with the regular ones when you put them in the pot, then snug them down more when you take them out, then let them cool. A bit more to the learning curve, but they're good for 20 or more uses.

Tattler has a good sale, sometimes up to 50%, once or twice a year. Check their official site.

·
Canning queen
1,017 Posts
I buy them every couple of years, as I run out due to the rest being on jars. They have a bit of a learning curve, but once you learn all the tricks, they seal nicely. The biggie? Boil the lids and rubbers before every use, I do it for 15-30 minutes. This helps them to seal better. The other trick is to not tighten down on the rings like you'd do on a disposable ring. You'll have to work this one out for yourself - for example, I tighten as far as my arthritic thumbs will let me, and then back off just a smidge. Dh, however, is no longer allowed to tighten them, as the jars explode due to lack of venting, because he does it too tightly. You have to find the sweet spot.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Yeah, men and tightening things! Even shutting off the shower faucets. I tell them tighten it like a girly girl, not a manly man. With the Tattler lids you tighten like that girl, then a smidge looser yet. As soon as they come out of the pot use a thick cloth to hold the jar and tighten it back to snug level. Sometimes you'll find ones that have loosened far too much and they won't seal that way.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,290 Posts
I buy them every couple of years, as I run out due to the rest being on jars. They have a bit of a learning curve, but once you learn all the tricks, they seal nicely. The biggie? Boil the lids and rubbers before every use, I do it for 15-30 minutes. This helps them to seal better. The other trick is to not tighten down on the rings like you'd do on a disposable ring. You'll have to work this one out for yourself - for example, I tighten as far as my arthritic thumbs will let me, and then back off just a smidge. Dh, however, is no longer allowed to tighten them, as the jars explode due to lack of venting, because he does it too tightly. You have to find the sweet spot.
Yeah, men and tightening things! Even shutting off the shower faucets. I tell them tighten it like a girly girl, not a manly man. With the Tattler lids you tighten like that girl, then a smidge looser yet. As soon as they come out of the pot use a thick cloth to hold the jar and tighten it back to snug level. Sometimes you'll find ones that have loosened far too much and they won't seal that way.
That's the problem I've had with them and I can't seem to find that zone yet.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
OK... good to know that there is a bit of trick to using them. A little loose to vent them while heating them up and then tighten... I think I got it...

The ability to continually reuse them is VERY appealing. Will have to keep my eyes out for when they go on sale.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
OK... good to know that there is a bit of trick to using them. A little loose to vent them while heating them up and then tighten... I think I got it...
I don't know if you ever canned with the old bail canning jars, but it's the same principle, using the same kind of rubber-ring seal. With the bail jars, you placed the rubber ring around the outside of the top rim, put the glass lid on top of it, and then fitted the long bail into the groove on the lid to just hold it in place so the air inside could vent as the contents heated, with the short locking bail still up. When the jar came out of the canner, you then immediately flipped the short bail piece down to tighten the lid down hard against the rubber ring, and a vacuum seal would then form as the contents of the jar cooled. You can't tighten a heavy, solid lid down hard at the start, or there's no way the jar can vent.

·
Registered
974 Posts
That's the problem I've had with them and I can't seem to find that zone yet.
Most people hold the jar with one hand and tighten the ring with the other.

Try this instead -- put the gasket, lid, and ring on, with the jar on a smooth surface like a countertop or table (not a towel).

Put one finger on the middle of the lid to steady the jar (don't grasp the jar), then turn the ring with the other hand (one hand tightens, the other holds just the lid down, not the ring).

When the jar starts to turn, stop.

I have the now-defunct 4Ever ReCap lids which are very similar to Tattler, and this is what I do.

I still have a few failures -- it's almost always because a seed or something got trapped between the gasket during processing -- but my failure rates are pretty darn close to the same as with the metal lids.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,136 Posts
The above reflects my experience with Tattler. -- Generally good.

Marjorie, thanks for the tip. Will try.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts