Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<<BAD TITLE PHRASING>> referring to stun guns (handheld tazers), not police issue tazers, if that makes a difference.

Anyway, quick question. Hopefully some former/current LEO's can pitch in.

Just saw a video on truTV of a woman who cut in line at Round Table or something who was ****ed off that a guy on his cell phone was complaining about her, so she got her 6'4 300 pound boyfriend to beat the living sh*t (broken eyesocket, nose, concussion, whatnot) out of him and the boyfriend got 4 years behind bars for it.

My question is, if in one of these incidents where someone is senselessly doing this kind of stuff, is it legal for a civilian with a stun gun to stick him until he goes down to the ground and make sure he doesn't get back up until LEO's arrive? What about handcuff him when he is on the ground?
Asking this question about California :)xeye:) by the way.

Thanks.

low-quality video for the curious:

I completely agree.. everyone just stares.. completely ridiculous.

·
Retrofitted Sheeple
30,070 Posts
Anywhere but California, it would probably be perfectly legal. ;)

Just kidding. If California is anything like Connecticut(not exactly gun-friendly here though there's worse states), then there's probably a certification course you can take to legally carry an air taser. A pistol permit might also allow it. I'm pretty sure it does in Connecticut.

·
King of Nido
2,013 Posts
I live in California, and carry a taser. I got it at Fry's electronics. I carry it in my EDC.

http://www.defenseproducts101.com/statestatutesummary_page2.html
Is a link to state law basics.
And even better news for you.

The state of California has one of the most liberal laws regarding the use of the Taser. It can be carried by civilians except in state and local public buildings, at a public meeting or at an airport. The state of Alaska permits adults to possess a Taser but forbids them on school grounds without permission or when a protective order is being violated.
http://www.ehow.com/about_5325657_taser-gun-laws.html

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,521 Posts
A lot of states have different laws regarding stun guns and Tazers. They are not the same thing. Stun guns are legal in a lot more states than Tazers are. Be sure to check your state laws beforehand.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
I live in California and retired LEO. Yes it would be legal to Tazer the arsehole and hold him for the police. You have the right to make a Citizens Arrest for a crime committed in your presence. You may use the force reasonably necessary to effect that arrest and overcome resistance.

If the person turns on you, you have the right to self defence. You need not retreat and are not deemed the aggressor, so long as the force is reasonable. Reasonable is defined as "what any other reasonable person would do under the same circumstances"

You have the righ to use reasonable force in self defence or in defence of another.

Wow, I did pretty good regurgitating state law.

Hell yes you can zap his arse, just don't throw water on him before you do it.

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,854 Posts
As a LEO I had to be tazed. The pain is unbelievable and they are going to be VERY ****ed when the shock is over. Verbal commands very confident and repeated multiple times.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I'm sure in California this would not fly, but . . .

"I don't believe in repeat offenders, I believe in dead offenders." -- Ted Nugent

If you want to defend yourself (or others for that matter) get a CCH and carry a gun. Fortunately here in KS a CCH licensee can use deadly force in an effort to prevent "death or serious bodily injury" of one's self or a third party. </soapbox>

IMO making a citizen's arrest in such a situation as above would be really risky. Stun guns are EXTREMELY painful but they don't knock you out like in the movies, once you stop sticking the bad guy they are back up to 100% pretty rapidly. Subduing and cuffing him would be a really risky maneuver without help.

Bad guys resist arrest against cops all the time. The difference is with the police they're just trying to escape. Against a civilian they're going to be trying to beat your a$$.

·
Registered
65 Posts
you'd still have big momma to deal with even if you had him down, she would probably break the wires or take it from you. Based on the threat of "death or great bodily harm" to this individual and the size of the attacker, I think the use of deadly force to stop it would be justified.

That said, I think the scene in the video would be challenging due to limited space and the crowd of people just standing there, any intervention would be risky. I'd try loud verbal commands to get everyone out, maybe even a lie that the police are "here", to get the attackers too leave.

I wouldn't try restraining or cuffing a resistive person, thats normally a 2 person job. I wouldn't carry handcuffs either unless you are a LEO.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
what gets me is why everyone just stands around and stares.
If he won't lift a hand to defend himself why should anyone else? Guy on cell phone was a big ***** in my opinion. He tries to ignore situation even after she slaps him? That was the "dirtbag" test. Cell phone boy failed, and got stomped. In my God awful experience, had he just pushed back, or got off the phone and spoken up, situation would have soon deescalated. Others would have gotten involved and no real fight just push fight) would have occurred.

That's how I see it. Ignore them when she cut the line, or be ready to roll if you speak up. That's life in the big city. If you speak up you better be ready to put up. YOu don't always speak up, but that "big boyfriend " was no real threat.

·
That Girl...
237 Posts
what gets me is why everyone just stands around and stares.
This is a common reaction of most to a situation like this. I have seen people act out on others at stores and such and no one intervenes. People have that "Turn the other cheek" crap bored into their minds at a young age and won't stand up for themselves.

If you say something to someone like this you should be ready to back up your words. Most people that blow off at the mouth will back down once they realize their threats do not work..most..not all...so you have to be ready for anything. You judge if its worth a possible fight. Being a woman I may have the better advantage here but most times when another woman spouts off about kicking my ass for saying something..I follow with a "Lets step out into the parking lot shall we?" Most back down right away..they may walk off calling me a stupid b*tch but I an can live with that.. the whole "sticks and stones can hurt me but words never will" mentality. That's just how ignorant people deal with a situation they can not win.

As for standing up to another, there was enough men in line to take down that man and I feel they should have. It was uncalled for violence and a crime in progress.

·
68,521 Posts
As for standing up to another, there was enough men in line to take down that man and I feel they should have. It was uncalled for violence and a crime in progress.
People should, but they just will not get involved! A lot of it is the brainwashing that has been going on for a long time. But some of it is the hassles one gets for getting involved.

I've always been one to get involved. I've chased gas runners to get their license number. I've stopped beer runs. And in one particularly memorable case, I was with my wife at the time, shopping in San Diego when some shop owners began chasing someone yelling "stop that man". Which I did. He was about to get violent when I cocked a fist ready to put him down. When the police arrived he said I assaulted him and we both got hauled in, despite the number of people saying that I didn't lay a hand on him.

It took the shop owners coming to the station and filing witness reports before I was released hours later. And without fail, EVERY other time I got involved, I got scolded by the police for doing so! Scolded for helping them do their job and punish a criminal.

·
Minimal worry.
221 Posts
Being a woman I may have the better advantage here but most times when another woman spouts off about kicking my ass for saying something..I follow with a "Lets step out into the parking lot shall we?" Most back down right away..they may walk off calling me a stupid b*tch but I an can live with that.. the whole "sticks and stones can hurt me but words never will" mentality.
I feel an applause is in order everyone ? :D: :thumb:

The thing to remember here is always hearing both sides of the story. Now I'm 6'1" and around 250 lbs (muscular but kinda chubby. I know I'm working on that :D:) but that 'guy' is a 350 lb gorilla! Nothing short of a chair to the head or a 45 ACP to the heart would would have stopped him I believe. So if I'm unarmed with no means of defense I'm for sure thinking twice about taking him on.

But there where at least 5 people there! They all must have weighed an average of 150 lbs. With five of them ? more then enough to subdue him.

·
Minimal worry.
221 Posts
People should, but they just will not get involved! A lot of it is the brainwashing that has been going on for a long time. But some of it is the hassles one gets for getting involved.

I've always been one to get involved. I've chased gas runners to get their license number. I've stopped beer runs. And in one particularly memorable case, I was with my wife at the time, shopping in San Diego when some shop owners began chasing someone yelling "stop that man". Which I did. He was about to get violent when I cocked a fist ready to put him down. When the police arrived he said I assaulted him and we both got hauled in, despite the number of people saying that I didn't lay a hand on him.

It took the shop owners coming to the station and filing witness reports before I was released hours later. And without fail, EVERY other time I got involved, I got scolded by the police for doing so! Scolded for helping them do their job and punish a criminal.
Another applause guys ?

Somethings i just cant figure out.. Though like anything else there's always a logical explanation. IMO There is NOTHING logical about scolding someone for helping you do a job. (not bashing any LEO's here)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I think in Texas somebody would have tased his butt if they had one, then plugged it into a wall socket to keep him down till the cops showed up!

·
68,521 Posts
Somethings i just cant figure out.. Though like anything else there's always a logical explanation. IMO There is NOTHING logical about scolding someone for helping you do a job. (not bashing any LEO's here)
There aren't enough cops and they can't be everywhere. We'll never get a grip on crime unless we all take a stand and start helping. Yet when we do, we're punished for it. There's something wrong with the system when people are punished for trying to be concerned, contributing members of society.

·
Like MacGyver, but w/guns
315 Posts
In Illinois I don't have the freedom to carry any stun/taser defense weapon. They are grouped under firearms here. Every single law that Illinois has that restricts the 2nd Amendment also applies to stun guns.

I really wonder why I still live here...

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
The guy on the phone did not need a weapon. He needed a bit of nerve. Big fat dude who hit him was not threat IF HE JUST FOUGHT BACK. He opened his mouth to the girl like a *****, then when the dude came in ignored him? LOL. Big *****. That is all.

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,850 Posts
If he won't lift a hand to defend himself why should anyone else? Guy on cell phone was a big ***** in my opinion. He tries to ignore situation even after she slaps him? That was the "dirtbag" test. Cell phone boy failed, and got stomped. In my God awful experience, had he just pushed back, or got off the phone and spoken up, situation would have soon deescalated. Others would have gotten involved and no real fight just push fight) would have occurred.

That's how I see it. Ignore them when she cut the line, or be ready to roll if you speak up. That's life in the big city. If you speak up you better be ready to put up. YOu don't always speak up, but that "big boyfriend " was no real threat.
My dad taught me at a young age, "if you get in a fight, you fight to kill". Now, I'm not necessarily trying to kill that other person, but you are damn sure I'm still fighting until that person is on the ground and no longer a threat to me or anyone else.

I'm 6'3" and 280 pounds. I got in a lot of fights when I was a kid because someone always wanted to test me. I learned how real fast. The key in that situation is to hit as soon as you are touched. You see a threat, you take them out with extreme prejudice. That lady touches me like she did to that guy on the phone, she goes down. The next punch is for her boyfriend. That may not sit well with a lot of you and I understand that, but that is life in the big city. There is no room for mercy. You will be shown none.

You better be ready to get hit and stunned but get covered up and get your wits and get back at it. I learned real fast that punches hurt but kicks are brutal to the side of the knee, especially big boys like him. You fight until both are neutralized threats and then you deal with the police. I have been hauled in a few times as a result but I have NEVER been prosecuted. I always had strangers stand up for me because I was in the right. People are afraid of getting physical but if you stand up to someone like that, they will too typically. They will be emboldened by your actions.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts