Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the finished tapestry drawers Iv made. They are basically made from a plastic tapestry mesh and embroidery silks. Iv made boxes with lids before but never a set of drawers.

Front - showing drawer front A

Front - Showing drawer front B

Left side

Right side and Back

Iv been thinking how I could use this skill after the SHTF. Im wondering if I could do it in wire on a large scale and thus making drawers, or even with large tropical leaves.

Id love any suggestions!

My next project is to make myself some shorts.

PS forgot to add they are 10. 5 inches high x 7.5 deep x 7 wide.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How clever and pretty! I'd be selling them at the local craft shows...I've never seen anything like them!

Now if you could make them water proof, after SHTF, they could be made into folding tents, small shelter, carrying baskets.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Guess I'm getting older than I thought. The first thing I thought of when I read the title was that you had fabricated some kind of post-shtf Depends diapers.

You should be taking samples to flea markets and craft shows. I'm betting they'd sell like hotcakes.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
Those are gorgeous! Time consuming as heck, and I know that from experience. I bow down to you!

I've done a few small projects, Christmas ornaments and the like, but nothing really useful except one thing. That one thing was a holster for a 1911 pistol. Turned out great, worked as expected, and it sold really quick. Wish I had kept it. I think I have the pattern on one of my old hard drives here. You have considering making a new one if I can find it.

The wife here had a few ideas when we were on that subject a few years ago, though. We go through phases where we try most everything. One single bin doesn't exactly work as one would hope because the plastic canvas (what we call it over here) just doesn't have the body to really support much, but if you do four grouped together, you can make baskets out of them that really stand up. We used to pack dry pastas and beans in containers with a cup or two of salt and dumping the pasta into a mesh basket cleans out the salt really well before using it. Much better than any store-bought colander. A five sided box makes a terrific "rinse the garden veggies" project, too. Add a top and you can turn it over to rinse it from all sides. The same closed bin works for air drying herbs/beans, too. Close it up, hang it outside in the sun. The mesh keeps the bugs out. Every now and then, shake it up and hang it from another side. It makes terrific hanging pouches for the kitchen spice bottles, mail and bills, clipped coupons, eating utensils etc. Make them any size you need, string more up and down and side to side to get as many bins as you need, too. Make round bins to hold jars. Makes a damned fine arrow quiver! Use a 6" round disk for the bottom, lace your sheets together or use one of the large sheets to make the tube body. Works for storing posters and other "don't fold" items, too. Lace up a small box with side tabs and use it for wild teas and infusions. Stick it on a cup, pour your hot water through, and leave it there to steep. The mesh is too open for coffee grounds, though. Potpourri, need I say more? (lol) Picture frames! What my wife and I started out in plastic canvas for, and they sold extremily well, was miniatures. Doll house beds, chest of drawers etc. Barbie scale chairs and all. Have you considered real "hang on the wall" art? Make an Arsenal or LU tapestry and put it on Ebay. Bet it sells really quick! If necessary, I could see making useful window screens from the larger canvas stock. Fish traps and live boxes? Cover a bottle and make it into a canteen? Seedling cover for a planting box? Top filter to keep the leaves and bugs out of the rainwater collection barrel? A belt pouch that's perfectly fit to a box of shotgun shells? I looked for years to find one and never did. Ended up making two. Food/plate protector for cookouts?

Got lots of ideas now, but to be honest, you have me thinking "art" with your boxes there! Those are really nice! I can see those selling easily and turning a profit.

rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts