Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anything buy Tapco is good stuff. But I would look at converting it. The problem is they are sportier rifles. Which means they move the trigger group back which means the mag release is far away from the trigger. Adding a pistol grip the right way is to move the trigger group back foward and instilling the pistol grip. You can got to saiga-12.com For more info on saigas.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
I am in the process of doing a pistol grip conversion at the moment. I just removed all the rivets on the bottom. All I used was a dremel with metal grinder disc, 1/4" drill and a punch and hammer.

Just a little advice, you don't have to drill through all the way. When the rivets start to turn you can punch them through.

Oh... And what ever you do, DO NOT drill with the receiver on your lap... I now have a nice 1/4" hole in my leg... I hope this doesn't turn into a visit to the hospital... I know... I know...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in the process of doing a pistol grip conversion at the moment. I just removed all the rivets on the bottom. All I used was a dremel with metal grinder disc, 1/4" drill and a punch and hammer.

Just a little advice, you don't have to drill through all the way. When the rivets start to turn you can punch them through.

Oh... And what ever you do, DO NOT drill with the receiver on your lap... I now have a nice 1/4" hole in my leg... I hope this doesn't turn into a visit to the hospital... I know... I know...

Thanks for the advice, but Iwant this stock because it already has the pistol grip. That's why I want it...to avoid the conversion.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Tapco stuff stinks.
I have one sitting in my drawer.
Am going to sell it off to some unsuspecting dope later.

I suggest the trigger group conversion, then put on the K-Var furniture.
Use the lower grip retainer conversion thing-a-ma-jig from Dinzag.

You won't go wrong.

T

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
Tapco stuff stinks.
I have one sitting in my drawer.
Am going to sell it off to some unsuspecting dope later.

I suggest the trigger group conversion, then put on the K-Var furniture.
Use the lower grip retainer conversion thing-a-ma-jig from Dinzag.

You won't go wrong.

T
What stinks about Tapco?? I have no problems with the buttstock on mine.

I'm looking to getting the Black K-Var Buttstock for the trap door for the tools. But that is mostly for the trap door.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I'm a long established AK buff, and a Saiga fan in particular. I own,have used, or have researched much of what is out there in regards to AK's. The Tapco trigger groups are widely respected ( not the best, but good stuff), but the Tapco stocks are just as widely considered so much broke-**** junk. Go look around any of the other gun forums, especially the AK-specific forums,including Saiga12, and you'll find acres of bad reports on the Tapco stocks.
As stated above, stick with K-var, dinzags stuff,or original mil-spec parts.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts

I'm looking to getting the Black K-Var Buttstock for the trap door for the tools. But that is mostly for the trap door.
About the only person on the internet with KVAR stocks in stock is OneSourceTactical, I am going to call them to make sure they are in stock Monday.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts

They're cheap. They rattle. They break.
They are not mil-spec.
Their regular stocks are cheesy thin.

That extendable stock sucks.

The K-Var furniture is good stuff.
Get the Nato lenght stock with the furniture.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way, here's another stock option. It's made by Choate, sold by Ultimak. I have one on a Saiga,and it is rock-solid, and gives it the best cheek-weld of any AK I've ever shouldered. And you can't beat the price....:thumb:
http://ultimak.com/CHOS-B.htm

Wow thanks! I might get that for the .308 I just bought today :D:. I am turning it into a Dragonov wannabe.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
For your drag wannabe; http://www.saigastock.com/index.php...id=212&zenid=558726f3acce76f5a67d51fca4a47e49

These are made by Izhmash and the cheek piece snaps to either side so you can move it out of your way or what not.

Or this one that is cheaper;
http://www.saigastock.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=141

The One Saiga that is still organic has one of them on it. I don't have a problem with it. But I got mine off Ebay a few years back. New never used, still in plastic for $15.85 shipped.. (I was the only bidder and it stared at $10 and S/h was $5.85.)

TAKEZO said:
They're cheap. They rattle. They break.
They are not mil-spec.
Their regular stocks are cheesy thin.

That extendable stock sucks.

The K-Var furniture is good stuff.
Get the Nato lenght stock with the furniture.
As for the Tapco Stock like the Tapco mags I have, they where very cheep.. Got the Stock for $12.00 at a Gun show and each mag was like $9.00.. I could not pass a deal like that.. The stock feels good. I'm probaly going to sell it so any how, when the K-var comes in. But I'm keeping the mags.. I have a LOT of Metal mags for SHTF times.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
And K-var.com
:rolleyes:
Army noobs.
Always pokin holes in theirsefs.........
Most of them were out of stock, the ones that aren't are for Milled Receivers. Whoever said "reading is fundamental" obviously didn't have the internet ;)
:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts