Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a tapco folding stock for my AK. when i drilled the holes i was a little off, so the stock doesnt sit flush against the receiver. there is about a 1/16 or so air gap.

my question is will this be a problem? i was thinking of filling the holes and re-drilling them, does anyone recommend a product or have any input?

thanks

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I have a Tapco folder, just because it kind of fell in my lap one day. But,I've yet to actually mount it to anything. The overwhelming consensus on these seems to indicate that they are so much junk that can't be relied on not to break. I'd recommend a solid synthetic stock from Ka-var or Choate, or one of the Romanian wire folders.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not worried about cosmetic but more so about the recoil working the screws out as the stock is not sitting firm against receiver

·
aka Dawgs
399 Posts

·
Prepper elite
4,538 Posts
Be gentle with it, it is plastic and will break the first time you really need it.
If you just target shoot it's ok but just so you know it is El Crapo.
There are lots of good folding stocks out there save up some money and get one.
I have the tapco stock for the sks. Its solid strong and shoots well, plenty of the other sks guys love it and don't have problems with it. As far my AK i don't want anything really more done to it. I just want a longer buttstock for it.

·
Prepper elite
4,538 Posts
Big difference in the solid SKS stock and folding AK stock. :rolleyes:
Correct yes but your calling tapco crap o. So you can keep your stuipd smirk off the companys name.

The company makes a decent product i am unsure why its not fitting in your ak47. You can call the company and they do really work with everyone. Warrenty if for life.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the tapco stock for the sks. Its solid strong and shoots well, plenty of the other sks guys love it and don't have problems with it. As far my AK i don't want anything really more done to it. I just want a longer buttstock for it.
that is more or less why i went with it to get the length of pull and to give it a try. the product seems to be very well made very solid when extended. now i just wished i took a little longer when drilling the holes out.

my buddy ended up drilling all the way through his stock and used a bolt (recessed the nut into bottom of stock) with lock tight i might end up going that direction with it.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Correct yes but your calling tapco crap o. So you can keep your stuipd smirk off the companys name.

The company makes a decent product i am unsure why its not fitting in your ak47. You can call the company and they do really work with everyone. Warrenty if for life.

HUH ?? I never said it wouldn't fit my AK. I just said I have one, and that the majority of reports are unsatisfactory. (both statements are true).
While Tapco DOES make some decent products (all three of my AK's have G2 trigger groups ) they also are widely reviled for making lots of junk,as well,ESPECIALLY their folding stock !!
And,if you'll cool your jets a sec and scroll back, you'll notice it wasn't ME calling Tapco..."Crap-O". (Stupid Smirk Alert..............:rolleyes: )
But since the shoe seems to fit............

·
DEFCON 4
6,583 Posts

lighten up francis!!!!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
my buddy ended up drilling all the way through his stock and used a bolt (recessed the nut into bottom of stock) with lock tight i might end up going that direction with it.
i don't teh screws will move, i have had one on my WASR for a few years now with out any problems.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,429 Posts
I'd say either don't worry about it, or fill the holes with epoxy and try again if it bothers you. Either way is fine.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i figured out what the problem was after looking at a fixed stock. the problem lies in the part that is inserted into the receiver. on the fixed stock that part is flat but on the folding stock the part where the screws go into it is stepped for some reason. so because its stepped down the stock has pay when you wiggle it up and down. i have since ordered a wire folder.

i have been happy with tapco up until now. this stock might work for those who take their gun every now and then to the range but for me its just not worth it

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
I recently bought a tapco folding stock for my AK. when i drilled the holes i was a little off, so the stock doesnt sit flush against the receiver. there is about a 1/16 or so air gap.

my question is will this be a problem? i was thinking of filling the holes and re-drilling them, does anyone recommend a product or have any input?

thanks
There are only a select few TAPCO products I like and this ain't one of them.

Go with ACE instead.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh well live and learn i now have a new addition to the pile of tents, backpacks, assorted tools, slings, scopes, stocks and other crap that just didnt work out

·
Registered
79 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrLockandload#p/u/55/8GZN0nAYovI

I just thought I should post this. Who knows what abuse they gave to this rifle prior to when it accually brok.
I would go with something military proven like a romanian/east german wire side folder. Same price as the tapco and is metal, battle proven and drops right in to any stamped recieaver.
I am not a ak expert but after I get my ak I am planning ot getting a wire folder.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts