Survivalist Forum banner

tanto vs clip point

728 25
I never did like the idea of a tanto point. seems to me the angled part would get rounded off with wear, or too easily chipped off if you hit something hard. on the plus side it must be way easier to sharpen the straight edges consistently, and much faster too, compared to carefully rounding the curve on a clip point.

not worried about a strong tip. would rather have the fine tip of the clip point for fine work anyway.

got some opinions?
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Ready
1,339 Posts
I found or ended up with a kershaw tone. It has been with me for what seems like forever. I love it. I have had a few more since and I like them but none have fit and worked for me like that tanto bladed knife has.
I would say tanto is my favorite. It has been very useful with my full time work and my side jobs. I have used it to cut saplings and all kinds of vegetation that other blades didn’t seem to cut so easily. Either way it’s my favorite and most useful for me. Nothing against other types (except a hawk bill - never been very useful for me)
Tanto is my fave

·
Registered
422 Posts
EDC for 10+ years has been a partially serrated tanto folder which has done me well. It was chosen more for the total package than the blade alone. If I remember correctly there was an option for clip or tanto but clip was out of stock so I got the tanto. Haven't found that I have been significantly limited or particularly advantaged by the tanto either way.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts