Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never did like the idea of a tanto point. seems to me the angled part would get rounded off with wear, or too easily chipped off if you hit something hard. on the plus side it must be way easier to sharpen the straight edges consistently, and much faster too, compared to carefully rounding the curve on a clip point.

not worried about a strong tip. would rather have the fine tip of the clip point for fine work anyway.

got some opinions?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I carried one for several years and over time realized that for my daily use around the house/farm/lake/woods/office/factory there were much better options for me!

If I wanted that shape I’d flip it over and use the Wharncliffe style blade which is way superior for my uses!

The “traditional” blade shapes are traditional for a reason! Look there to start and see what works for you!

SD

19,981 Posts
The Tanto blade has a stronger tip when compared to the Clip Point, simply because of the stronger triangular shape.

The Tanto is good for the defensive purposes of piercing/penetrating/stabbing, but is rather inconvenient for most other uses, because of the lack of blade belly found on the Clip Point.

A Reverse Tanto is a better alternative, capable of defensive purposes, but also convenient for slicing and some fine work requiring a tip.

Knife Everyday carry Blade Tableware Hunting knife

·
Premium Member
17,911 Posts
The original tanto blade looks nothing like the newer tanto. The new one can be almost like having a chisel on the end of your knife, and without the pronounced narrow point, it makes penetrating HARDER, though it does keep the tip from breaking too easily.

An actual tanto blade.

And another. No sharp corner, just a tight radius belly.

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
The original tanto blade looks nothing like the newer tanto. The new one can be almost like having a chisel on the end of your knife, and without the pronounced narrow point, it makes penetrating HARDER, though it does keep the tip from breaking too easily.
This is a good point (pun intended:ROFLMAO:), it was in the 70's or so that the Japanese Tanto was "Americanized" with sharper edge geometry. I think marketing was a bigger influence than performance evolution...I know I was mesmerized by the Cold Steel Tanto as a kid... ;)

ROCK6

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a good point (pun intended:ROFLMAO:), it was in the 70's or so that the Japanese Tanto was "Americanized" with sharper edge geometry. I think marketing was a bigger influence than performance evolution...I know I was mesmerized by the Cold Steel Tanto as a kid... ;)

ROCK6
sort of like Taco Bell is supposed to be Mexican food

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
My "fighting"/defensive knife is a razor-sharp HK (Benchmade) tanto that is never used for utility tasks. My utility knife a.k.a. the Amazon box opener, is a drop point. Prior to switchblades being made legal here I carried a 1990s clip-point Gator that filled both roles. Which reminds me, I should probably go sharpen that thing. It hasn't had any love in quite a while.

·
Adventurer
1,820 Posts
I have a rather large Cold Steel Voyager XL with a Tanto blade clipped to my pocket right now….

My feeling is that tanto blades make great self defense knives because the tip is so much stronger for hard stabbing and provided that they are very sharp the transition spot on the blade will bite in and make for a deep cut while slashing.

For work purposes I wouldn’t choose a tanto.

·
The Black Death
3,209 Posts
I have a few of both, American tanto and clip point / bowie tipped knives. I buy most of my knives for self defense. If I get a knife and I think it has too much belly near the tip and it is not pointy enough, I sell it.

To me, a guy who has had some escrima/arnis/kali martial arts, and carrying completely for self defense, if a knife cannot be used for slashing and thrusting, I do not buy it. It has to be capable of both in a pinch OR it could be a machete. I even have machete-like knives with tips for piercing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts