Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slowly getting my brother into firearms in general, so far the only drawback i have found is his height. His reach makes shooting my rifle almost impossible (AK). I am hoping to buy him a rifle later this year, and I am considering maybe an SKS or something to that effect. I'm not sure if a movable buttstock like on an AR platform would help much better (maybe it would, i'm not sure). hes about 6'3", does anyone have any opinions on what a good first rifle for him might be, i would hope it would be something he could shoot with ease of comfort.

Thanks guys;)

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
Talk to a gunsmith and tell him what your concerns are. They make rifle stocks that are adjustable in length and height. Tell the gunsmith about which rifle you're planning to buy and see if he can suggest which adjustable stock to put on that rifle. Unless your brother is bigger than Andre the Giant, most rifles should pretty well fit him without much modification. But, just the same, talk to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
There's many options available in AK-47 stocks. Check out K-var and tapco's website. K-var sells both the soviet length and Nato length AK-47 stocks. Tapco has the adjustable T-6 stock. Some states have issues with certain style stocks.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
It is not the height but the arm length...I have a college how is just under 6' but has a 35½" sleeve length...

You can add spacers to the back of the butt plate and/or remove the butt plate and install a thick recoil pad like the Pachmayr to further lengthen it...it is an easy, relatively inexpensive modification that even you could perform on your own without the aid of a gunsmith by mounting a slip on recoil pad instead of a fitted one.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I am taller than that and my knuckles drag the ground. A short tock is better than a long one for most things. CZ rifles have great stocks for long armed shooters. Anything Swiss or German made, too.

The reason I say shorter is for handling purposes. For a precision rifle or sporting shotgun, you need to have it fitted but it's not the big deal people make it out to be.

·
Registered
450 Posts
High Kapacity:

The AK was designed for use from the assault position. The Soviets always issued Dragunov tactical sniper rifles for the troops, one per rifle squad, that they actually expected to hit anything with traditional rifle marksmanship.

If this is your brothers first rifle why not get him a proper sporting rifle that can have a slip on butt pad added to increase length of pull.

Also I think Remington has started making rifles with adjustable length stocks for its bolt action rifles.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
I'm 6' 2" and find that rifles work just as well from up high as they do closer to the ground. :thumb:

Seriously, though, if he needs longer length of pull for comfort, you've had the normal and good suggestions.

- OS

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Adjustable stocks are fairly cheap and most of the COMBLOC stocks can be replaced.

All COMBLOC rifles are made for smaller statured people than we are. An SKS will be short and the CHICOMs will be worse.

Even the Mosins tend to be short stocked. Average Russian is about 5'8" male and 5'3" female.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.