Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been having the itch to "complete" my 18.5" Mossy 500. I have the Knoxx Spec-Ops collapsible stock, the Tac Star Side Saddle, a nice sling, but no light.

Ebay has the Surefire forend light for 200 bucks for the 623A or 237 bucks for the 623LF (led one).

It is a pretty penny for one of these lights and I have heard the the major con, that is being easily identifiable by bad guys.

Thoughts either way?

Jon

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would love to talk you out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but I cant lol I want one for my 870 lol. I just ordered a knoxx for it too how do you like your so far?? Did you get the recoil reduction one??

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
I just have a 50 lumen cheapy from Lowe's. It lights up the hallway.

I do not understand why a non-military or LE guy would need an expensive light. It is not like it is going to get a lot of use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I have a feeling it is the tacticool kind of thing for alot of people (no one here of course lol). For me I just like having quality products for my guns. Also like to do alot of low light training..... But you are right a light ring and a 10 dollar led light will work

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to talk you out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but I cant lol I want one for my 870 lol. I just ordered a knoxx for it too how do you like your so far?? Did you get the recoil reduction one??
I got the Knoxx Spec-Ops recoil reducing telescopic stock. Single best upgrade I ever made to a shotgun. Took it out to the range to challenge the videos they post on their web site.

Shot 2 3/4" 1 oz slugs one handed like the video and it wasn't bad at all.

Placed shotgun against my ribs like the video and fired 5 rounds of 00 buck and it didn't even leave so much as a mark.

I would honestly say that the recoil is reduced by 40% (non scientific guess).

That day at the range I shot 50 rounds (25 slugs/25 00 buck) and looked at my shoulder when I got home. Not single bruise and I was wearing just a t shirt. I used to get black and blue before.

Get the Knoxx and you'll never look back. Best 120 bucks I ever spent on a gun gadget.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hunt with a completely outfitted Mossy 835 (many barrels and many chokes!) but I evaluated many smaller, lighter shotguns for the "fortress" gun (HD) and ended up settling on the Maverick 88 (the "across the tracks" cousin to your 500.) I did this because I need the gun readily available at night, I carry my EDC on me until I go to bed, and wanted the shotgun in a Home Protection Back-Up Rack on the bed. It needed to be slick so as to not catch on any bedding and light enough to swing around handily in house. I carry fixed sight revolvers for the same reason, lightweight and no catching on anything. I can see going tactical and dressing up the shotguns for SWAT or Delta Force type things,but even street cops in cruisers prefer the clean and simple "cruiser" type guns in their cars. My Maverick is a working gun and an integral part of my home defense plan, not a show piece , so I'm afraid I have to go with KISS here. The only mod on the "House Gun" is a high vis optical bead on the front of the barrel.

The light assemblies all stick out and make the barrel nose heavy, the exact opposite of what I need in the "Bedside Pursuader."

If you are out to make the gun a showpiece, the light would be really nifty, but if you are going to use it inside a house for defense, you might want to rethink your needs. Replan your internal lighting to set up the BGs in the light and you out of the light. Nightlights can be very craftily placed to do just that.

As ole Wyatt would have probably said,it isn't being fastest that counts, it being the most accurate, FIRST! Speed requires a slick gun with no encumberances and no complicated sighting system.

·
Registered
826 Posts
A light just tells the bad guy where to shoot. I'd skip the light.
Whether you have a dedicated weapon light or are holding a flashlight and your pistol in the Harries (or any other) technique, you have to use a light in conjunction with your weapon the right way.

Every light used with a weapon needs to have an automatic-off momentary switch.

You light your search area briefly, extinguish the light quickly, and then MOVE away from the position where you illuminated your light.

When you have the right hardware and the right technique, a light can save your life. Use one the wrong way, and a light can end your life.

For the record, I have a Mossberg 500 withe the Surefire forend, as well as a Remmy 870 with its analogous version of the same light. They are somewhat heavy, but they are sleek and handle really well, and they meet the criteria outlined above. I like the models that have the additional system lockout switch. If you have your pump shotgun otherwise set up svelte for fast gun-handling, the extra weight of the Surefire forend is no big deal. If you have a lot of dohickies on your scattergun, the additional dedicated weapon light might be a bit much. I had a Knoxx recoil-reducing car-stock on my M500 with the Surefire forend; I kept the light and opted for a tactical-length Choate Mark V pistol grip shoulder stock with a nice thick recoil pad on the butt, and I find that it tames slugs and buckshot sufficiently while shaving quite a lot of weight and allowing the Mossy to handle like the quick, dynamic defensive tool it needs to be for its intended application.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Been having the itch to "complete" my 18.5" Mossy 500. I have the Knoxx Spec-Ops collapsible stock, the Tac Star Side Saddle, a nice sling, but no light.

Ebay has the Surefire forend light for 200 bucks for the 623A or 237 bucks for the 623LF (led one).

It is a pretty penny for one of these lights and I have heard the the major con, that is being easily identifiable by bad guys.

Thoughts either way?

Jon
I'm not going to talk you out of that Surefire either. Like others, I used to think that a light on a gun was a "shoot me right here" signal to the bad guys and I avoided them. Then I read a book titled "Fight at Night - Tools, Techniques, Tactics and Training for Combat in Low Light and Darkness" by Andy Stanford. He convinced me that, using the right tactics, lights on or with weapons is a must.

Buy the light and buy the book. You won't be sorry.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
I would like to but I can't...
BUT I do not leave this on 100% I use the pressure rail for momentary on just for quick indentification... And Yes I have used it before..

NEVER leave a light or lazer on 100% of the time you are a well lit target then...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Some like them, some don't...i personally don't. Do yourself a favor before you buy in. I'm not telling you NOT to buy one, but before ya do.....

Get some airsoft guns....tape a light to one and go play in the dark at your house. (USE EYE PROTECTION!!!!!) That's what we did...and the light got you shot almost every single time. Now granted..it was not a super illuminator light saber model 9900 with super bad guy disabler strobe....but still we got the idea.

The bad guy is in the house.....you hear him, he probably hears you...he knows what direction you're coming from even tho it's dark..you're either groggy, or jacked up on adrenelin..he waits...sees the light pop on and pow....you get it in the chest or throat. It worked that way almost every single time. AND...a bad guy might just KEEP firing pow pow pow pow pow pow pow pow....where are THOSE rounds gunna fly in your HOUSE?

I know there's no exact way to duplicate the home invasion...as the people that were doing this DID know what was going on...therefore we did not have the element of surprise .....but it was pretty close i'd say..and we were actually GETTING shot...albeit with little plastic balls, but we could sure tell when we got hit.

We've done it more than once..and in different houses...it's actually kinda fun and it's real time real scenario practice to let you know how things work. I'm the kinda person that wants to try it...i can't rely on reading a tech manual about home defense and leaving it at that....i wanna know what it will do in the real world...and that's as close as i could get.

We've even started doing this at different locations, etc...it's a blast. Go play in the dark and not know when yur gunna get it..LOL. May sound silly...but it works.

So...i'm not knocking anyone elses opinions...i''m just giving mine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Such notables as Massad Ayoob and Michael Harries developed techniques for combat handgunning which involve holding flashlights while firing. Every police academy in the country teaches the use of a flashlight in low light level combat. There are good reasons for this. Lights are necessary to positively identify a target and its location. Weapon mounted lights are more practical than hand carried lights. A weapon mounted light allows you to perform others tasks besides fighting with your weapon still ready. Flashlights are just one of many tools which, if used properly, give you an edge over your adversary in low light or no light conditions.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts

Thoughts either way?

Jon
Yea for the same price....
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/250rds-12-gauge-nobelsport-le-2-34-27-pellet-4-buckshot/cName/12-gauge-buckshot

I would think that having some ammo would be better than a flashlight...

·
Suspect Everyone
225 Posts
look at the lights at sportsmansguide.com...the prices will talk you out of it! i have 3 from them and they light up the whole room....ectremely bright, and as was mentioned, they aren't goingv to get a ton of use.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
it depends....if you would be in a open field where anyone within 150 yards could see your shotgun glowing, that would be bad. but if you are in a tight quarter building, where if some one sees your light they see you, it can be good. you can blind em. but also someone can see the lights shinning on a wall and know your coming. so i would put it at 45/55 for pro's and con's of having one.
pro's-
1.blinding people.
2.having the advantage of sight at night.
3. kinda intimidating?.....
con's-
1. a "hey im right here beacon".
2. lets the other guy know your coming
3. add weight to your gun
4. shows where your center mass is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts