Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent some time at the Range yesterday. I took two 1911. A Kimber Super Carry Custom HD and a Phillipine made American Classic Combat Commander. I fired two hundred rounds of Federal Champion Ball and twenty rounds of Winchester PDX-1 through each of them. All in all a good day at the range.

I had no stoppages, FtF or FtE with either gun. Both are new guns and had never been fired before.
I run my 1911s rather wet when shooting them to break them in. Both were comfortable to shoot as both had Beaver Tail a gripsafety and aluminum target trigger. The Kimber has a melt edges on all parts and both guns are steel construction. The Kimber does have less sharp edges to gouge you with in a belt or IWB Carry with it's melt finish.

What was intresting to me was that both guns are reliable and accurate. The Kimber is a government sized 1911 and the American Classic is Commander Sized. The Kimber cost just a little over three times the ammount of the Ameican Classic and they both were just about as accurate as each other, with just a hair more accuracy going to the Kimber.

If I was going to recommend a 1911 for a person just getting into 1911s, I'd diffentaly recomment the Rock Island or American Classic 1911s in either the Government Size or the Combat Commander size for purchase as a "first" 1911.

So if you're looking for a new 1911, let your conscious and pocketbook be your guide.

Just my $.02 worth.

Jungle Work

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've got a Kimber full size (45) and a m&P 40 and a SIG in 40. All good guns but I can shoot circles around the 40's with the Kimber. Been giving serious thought to selling the tWO 40's to buy another Kimber.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ice,
I've been buying the Rock Islands since they were marked Rock Island/Twin Pines and retailed for $225.00 each for the Government Sized.

I've been shooting them for several years and never had a minutes trouble from them. You will always find folks that say that they've had problems with them, its possible, but I don't think its that's many folks.

I always run my 1911s wet when breaking them in and clean them mucho buneo when breaking them in.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Rock Islands. If you buy one, I'd highly recommend that you get the Tactical ones. I hate that word tactical.

They have the skelatonized hammer, target trigger and beaver tail grip safety.

I don't believe the American Classic is made by the Rock Island Company, but is another company. I got one just to see how it runs. It also has a beaver tail grip safety, target trigger and a skelatonized hammer.

Just slight differences with the Rock Islands.

Jungle Work

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yeah, someone somewhere has had nightmare problems with something regardless of brand. But overall I've seen a lot of good things about the RIAs. Thxs

·
Registered
791 Posts
I bought a Rock Island Armory Tactical Officer model a few months ago and it has been perfect.

I too would recommend the Tactical versions (I also hate that word) since they offer adjustable sights. They aren't Novak cuts, unfortunately, but they are at least adjustable and a good smith could make the necessary alterations for them to be Novaks.

I researched for months before buying and based on everything I could read, what I could get my hands on and the price...Rock Island was my choice and I don't regret it.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I had a gunsmith tell me for the money you spend on a RI tactical that it would be better to get a springfield G.I or mil-spec. he see's less problems out of the springfields.

·
I told you so!
2,707 Posts
I have a RIA small compact,(twin-pines) it was great right out of the box, shoots as well as my series70 colt and my springfield armoury, the only thing I don't like about it is the grip saftey rattles when you walk, I might have to bend the finger on the spring. JT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts