Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying this chest harness or something similar:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/STRIKE-Commando-Recon-Chest-Harness,721,129.htm

I need to know if I can comfortably wear a backpack (Camelbak BFM) with this. I am concerned because of the apparent thickness of the shoulder straps and if they will line up under the pack's straps and be too uncomfrtable.

I think this harness would be good because it could perform all of the following functions:

1) Worn alone, it would work as simple webbing for light excursions for gathering, treks, etc. I especially like the back shoulder straps and belt area.

2) I can wear it and my pack thus having full access to what ever gear I want on me instead of having it all on my pack.

3) I can add the back panel and put in plates for a full load out.

Basically, I'm looking for something to do #1 and have the ability to do #2 and #3 without separate gear. I can use the same pouches on my pack, the harness, the back panel, etc. It seems like it would be very versitile.

I am not worried about looking conspicuous because in the case of #2 or #3 it would be irrelevant IMO. In the case of #1 this would be on rural private property so I wouldn't cause any suspicion wearing a Tac vest.

Does this seems like a good idea? Am I missing something, not thinking of something? And of course will it work with my pack as mentioned above. Just make sure because if I order it as a close-out I can't return it.

Thanks to all for help.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
You know, I was considering this also... but ditched the idea.

Wearing a tac-vest, well it says something about yourself in a SHTF scenario, like hummmmmm?!! --I'm armed, and prepared so put the scope on me.

I began searching for a stealthier way to go, and still get the job done. I found it with "Skeaky Bags."

http://www.sneakybags.com/

Put all your mags in pockets inside--good solid staps. Will also double as a camera/utility bag on trips out of the SHTF scenarios... blends in with the shivering masses (except for the AK slung on your shoulder). A tactical vest is just way, way too much I thinks.

Let me know what you think.

T

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
I have the blackhawk urban assault vest and it is awesome. well made and can carry lots of gear and has a built in hydration pouch and radio pouch on the back. Between this and my camelback BFM pack i can carry everything I need to survive for a long time. If you are looking to be discreet, 5.11 gear has some concealment vests/clothing that is very nice.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple things:

1) I have a 5.11 vest, "normal" looking bag, clothes etc for situations where I need to blend in. Like I said, I'm not worried about keeping it inconspicuous because if I ever need to head out w/ rifle, etc I highly doubt a tac vest is going to make a diff.

2) The only reason I am interested in this items is b/c of the configuration of the MOLLE straps/belt in combo w/ plates. I would actually prefer another brand like Eagle, etc. The only reason this appeals to me is because I can get it for only $40. A number of milt. have told me the quality of BHI stuff is spotty at best, however I am only going to try it out first. If I have to pay comparable prices, no way I pick BHI over Eagle.

It seems form what I see that if I can't fin something like this then I will need two diff set-ups. One for light trips (I'm sick of taking a pack) and another for load out w/ plates.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts