Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Drop leg holsters look good in a photo op. I think you should strap one on and run around the block a couple times with it to see if ya really like it first.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Depends on the model, some of them are extremely stable during running.

My issued holster was a Safariland 6004, currently I am using my old Bianchi M12 on a drop extender with 2 thigh straps, it's very stable while walking and running. I need to replace both straps with some scuba webbing and make a few more mods to the extender.

The reason I still use one is that with the arrangement of the gear on my plate carrier a belt mounted holster is not easy to access. So with the holster dropped it is in a natural position when I drop my arm my hand lands exactly on the grip of the pistol.

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
I find that I bump into stuff with a thigh holster. Door ways, walls, etc.
Was buying new Safariland 6004 holsters at the PX in Iraq for $11 ea. Gave away a good 15 of them to service members serving overseas.

Saved 2 for myself and find I don't care for them. It's a good quality holster, but would be even better if you could mount it on your belt or vest.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
I like the 6004. It's what we use in the AF as well, so I am intimately familiar with it. I need to get a couple more of them for different pistols, but they ain't cheap...

·
"OVER KILL IS UNDERRATED"
64 Posts
I currently use a SPEC OPS VAPOR thigh holster.. But have been looking into others recently due to tactical add ons and abilities. probably will just keep the spec ops tho mostly cuz i like it still HA HA HA

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
I like the 6004. It's what we use in the AF as well, so I am intimately familiar with it. I need to get a couple more of them for different pistols, but they ain't cheap...
Find if I tighten down the trigger guard screw, I can get a Hi Power to work in one of mine (92 versions). Doesn't retain it without the rotating thumb guard though.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Find if I tighten down the trigger guard screw, I can get a Hi Power to work in one of mine (92 versions). Doesn't retain it without the rotating thumb guard though.
Ohh, that's good to know!!! Thanks! :thumb:

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
look into the serpa drop legs. bought one awhile back and its nice. never liked the idea of the drop leg until now. it doesnt move bounch or flop when running either. if you get the quick disconnect you can take the holster off and put it on another carry option like a belt or paddle. nice and versatile

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Drop leg holsters look good in a photo op. I think you should strap one on and run around the block a couple times with it to see if ya really like it first.
All of our K9 units use drop leg holsters. They track suspects for MILES and sometimes HOURS which includes a lot of running when the dog is "hot on the trail".

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I like the Serpa molle adapter with a basic MOlle platform.

That way I can use the quick detach and move the holster to whatever location I Want it.

I have a QD on the chest rig, one on a thigh holster, and one on the belt. So Regardless of what I'm doing I can translate how I carry.

·
American by Choice.
512 Posts
I agree with Kahuna, I love my Serpa thigh rig. My pistol stays nice and tight and I don't get much bounce when I run. I will say that it will take getting use to carrying that way.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I've got several but even here in A'Stan, I prefer a belt rig or the Serpa on my IOTV. Disadvantages is the chaffing if not secured properly or if you're in and out of helos or vehicles, they can get caught up. It is nice to have your sidearm dropped off your main gear, but at times, they can be a PITA for me. The best I've used is Safariland/HSGI combo...the HSGI platform is simply the most comfortable I've used.

ROCK6

1 - 20 of 20 Posts