Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one? I am tired of crushing plastic click pens at work. I do warehouse work. Was wondering if a cheap tactical pens might be worth the investment.

·
Mule
226 Posts
I've had a few. They're not great as weapons, just like a kubaton. They also kind of suck as pens because they're so heavy. Just get a Parker or something else metal bodied.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I was on a kick for a little while where I wanted a tactical pen. I just never found one I liked. Some were freaking huge and stood out like a sore thumb. Some were just too gimmicky.
I ended up with a smaller, kind of like a small kubaton thing on my keyring. It was advertised as a tactical pen, I think, but I sure wouldn't want to get in s fight with it.
What I like about this one is it's inconspicuous size makes it easy to carry so I always have a pen with me. It also uses a space-pen type ink cartridge so no matter how it was oriented in my pocket, it starts writing straight away with no shaking, scribbling. And it writes in water on my waterproof tablets (Write In The Rain brand, I guess)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
644 Posts
I got a Gerber Impromptu because I wanted a clicker. Price wise it seems to be more on the expensive side of most tactical pens - I've seen them from $45 to $65 on Amazon. I used some gift cards I had to purchase mine.

I've had mine for about 4 years I think now. Writes very good. I've smashed it through thick cardboard at work. Used the window breaker to pick at things here and there.

Overall all I'm happy with it and it's part of my EDC.
https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Impro...-goods&sprefix=gerber+imp,sporting,200&sr=1-1

But if you want something sturdy and cheap in the warehouse, have you tried Zebra pens?
https://www.amazon.com/Ballpoint-Re...ds&sprefix=zebra+,sporting,210&sr=1-3-catcorr

·
Registered
451 Posts
Never seen the need for a tactical pen since I'm not trained in using one, but could see them useful if you wanted a tough pen. The only one I carry is the little one that fits in my wallet. That being said I just seen a video on YouTube where someone took two different model zebra pens and made one all stainless steel pen. Probably cheaper, lighter and less "tactical" looking than an actual tactical pen, while still being tough.

·
Mule
226 Posts
Never seen the need for a tactical pen since I'm not trained in using one, but could see them useful if you wanted a tough pen. The only one I carry is the little one that fits in my wallet. That being said I just seen a video on YouTube where someone took two different model zebra pens and made one all stainless steel pen. Probably cheaper, lighter and less "tactical" looking than an actual tactical pen, while still being tough.
I just take the Fisher Space Pen cartridges, wrap them in electrical tape to fatten them up and make them more durable and then apply some heat shrink tubing. It's like $0.15 in additional materials and I get the tiniest pocket pen which is actually really comfortable to write with. A cap can be made from any thin flexible plastic and a little more heat shrink tubing. Now granted I probably wouldn't be doing this if I was burning through pens all the time because those cartridges are expensive and the rubberizing takes a few minutes of work.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I wanted one several years ago but as someone mentioned, most of them were freaking huge.
I settled on a little kubaton type with a Fisher Space Pen cartridge that fits unobtrusively on my EDC gadget keyring. Totally useless as a weapon but I always have a pen that writes.
My wife got me a Colonel Blades tactical pen from Warrior Poet Society as a Christmas gift. I love it. It's pretty much normal pen size and you could stab the crap out of something with it. It looks like but is not a clicker. You have to unscrew the barrel to get to the actual pen. It then flips around and screws on the other end to look like a normal pen. I keep it clipped on my right pocket next to my folding knife.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I like Rotring pens. They're not 'tactical' There's no knurled sharp ends or anything knife like about it. But then again, no one at TSA is going to look oddly at it either. It's metal. As a pen, it takes a variety of the usual cartridges and those will work as well as any high quality pen cartridges will if you buy good stuff. Look at the bottom where the point comes out. Even if the pen itself wasn't out, the end of the barrel itself could quite easily - if it should have to - be shoved into another person doing all kinds of damage. I've never used it for this. Just for writing. Have had a couple of them for years in pretty much daily use; one at home, one in work bag.

Also, should you have to use it as weapon, look at the shirt clip thing. It's rounded at the top. Look at some tactical pens. It looks like with some of them if you had it in a clenched fist and tried to use it as a weapon that you could quite easily tear up your own hand as well.

https://www.amazon.com/ROTRING-600-..._3?keywords=rotring+pen&qid=1578801381&sr=8-3

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
How long do the Fisher refills last?
I've been carrying mine for 4 or 5 years. I don't write with it much because there are usually other pens around so I use them first. But it hasn't dried out and writes on the first try every time. I have two refill cartridges at home. I'll probably never need to buy another at the rate I'm going.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,535 Posts
I considered getting a tactical pen.
I decided to instead get a Parker steel
pen because its easier to open verses
most tactical pens (I guess) twist to
open.

My question is; how much strength in
a pen do you need to use it for a weapon?

I don't care about a glass breaker.

I also use erasable pens for the most part.
But when I make a delivery and hand my
customer a pen to sign the invoice I don't
want my customer asking me what this
big ugly strange looking thing that I am
handing them is. Are there tactical pens
that don't have glass breakers, and don't
break the bank?

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
I considered getting a tactical pen.
I decided to instead get a Parker steel
pen because its easier to open verses
most tactical pens (I guess) twist to
open.

My question is; how much strength in
a pen do you need to use it for a weapon?

I don't care about a glass breaker.

I also use erasable pens for the most part.
But when I make a delivery and hand my
customer a pen to sign the invoice I don't
want my customer asking me what this
big ugly strange looking thing that I am
handing them is. Are there tactical pens
that don't have glass breakers, and don't
break the bank?
Yeah, just like with weapons cases, etc., it's hard to buy anything that isn't tactical black and gnarly looking. Most of the people that carry a weaponized pen, must want everyone to know it.....

Here's one that's a little less tactical looking, in the gray version anyway.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I used to have one. The ever on the ball, top of their game TSA confiscated it after I was flying with it weekly for only six months. She said something about I could defeat an aircraft window with it. I googled when I got back, must be one h#!! of a pen to go through three panels of polycarbonate. I never figured out that feature, h### I could barely get the [email protected] thing to write most times...

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
20,598 Posts
Does anyone have one? I am tired of crushing plastic click pens at work. I do warehouse work. Was wondering if a cheap tactical pens might be worth the investment.
I have several. Putting aside the 'tactical' aspect of it, I love how they are designed to clip to pants. When I'm wearing my coat, it is easier to assess than pens in my shirt pocket.

Writing with pens is a passion of mine and the weight of these tactical pens convey a quality feel to it + they take standard Parker or Fisher space pen refills. Check out

1 - 20 of 23 Posts