Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
depends on what there made of but generaly I would say no just look for what suits your rife best within your budget
what rifle and what type of thing you looking for maby i can help you find a design that will fit your speca and price range

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,227 Posts
yes and no... most synthetic stocks are hollow and the buttpad is screwed into studs that are molded into the stock when it's made. when you cut the stock you cut away the studs you need to re-attach the buttpad.

you can put a slip on buttpad over the stock or you can take it to a gunsmith and see if he can add the studs back in.

You can do some cool stuff with a hollow stock though... here's a link to what I did to mine...http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=33322 you can see the buttpad studs in the third picture.

I did not change the length of mine so the orignal screw studs are still in it and I can use the original buttpad (although it sucks and is made from cheap plastic) I did put a slip on buttpad over it just for comfort and additional pull length.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
well here is a thought. since most are hollow, is it feasible to open up the butt and use the interior space for a cleaning or survival kit and then resecure with screws or cover with a slip on butt pad?

·
Super Moderator
23,227 Posts
well here is a thought. since most are hollow, is it feasible to open up the butt and use the interior space for a cleaning or survival kit and then resecure with screws or cover with a slip on butt pad?
Why yes it is... you should look at the thread I linked to above your post...

Reactions: Dwind

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
yes and no... most synthetic stocks are hollow and the buttpad is screwed into studs that are molded into the stock when it's made. when you cut the stock you cut away the studs you need to re-attach the buttpad.

you can put a slip on buttpad over the stock or you can take it to a gunsmith and see if he can add the studs back in.

You can do some cool stuff with a hollow stock though... here's a link to what I did to mine...http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=33322 you can see the buttpad studs in the third picture.

I did not change the length of mine so the orignal screw studs are still in it and I can use the original buttpad (although it sucks and is made from cheap plastic) I did put a slip on buttpad over it just for comfort and additional pull length.
I do believe that this is the best thing I've seen done with a synthetic stock. I've done similar to my paintball markers, but the thought never crossed my mind to do it with a rifle stock. Would the recoil of a shotgun rattle the contents, though?

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
it would depend on how you pakage it in the stock i would imagine

·
Super Moderator
23,227 Posts
I do believe that this is the best thing I've seen done with a synthetic stock. I've done similar to my paintball markers, but the thought never crossed my mind to do it with a rifle stock. Would the recoil of a shotgun rattle the contents, though?
I don't think so, in the rifle it was a pretty tight fit. If it was loose you could always add more stuff like some gauze or a bandana to take up the excess space and keep things from rattling around.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
All popular shotguns have affordable youth stock sets for them. Tapco T6 is an adjustable stock.

For most folks, the stock length is just fine. I shoot the SKS quite a bit. The length of pull is roughly over and inch shorter. I notice the difference. It would be a lot worse if the gun had some serious recoil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts