Votes: 59 75.6%
  • Would you own a sword?

Votes: 19 24.4%
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Greyman with a Mohawk
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many of you urbanites own a sword.... Doesn't have to be part of your bob or even a functional weapon- just curious how many city people have one on hand ( not that they're oftenly used in the country either lol)

I currently do not own any swords but I have owned a few in the past.
C'mon nerds be honest!

** disregard the poll it got messed up sorry

·
accipere rubrum pilula
1,680 Posts
Good question, I own a few machetes bit always have considered them tools more so than weapons.
I feel that for the purpose of this thread I will have to say no, a machete is not a sword.
1. No, I don't have a sword.
2. Technically a machete is a tool and a sword is a weapon.
3. If someone came at me with a sword and I had a machete, I wouldn't feel out classed.
4. For purposes of survival, I find a machete far more beneficial than a sword and that's why I don't have one.

Of course your individual mileage may vary.

·
Outlander Territory
3,710 Posts
Yes, two "battle-ready" blades made of carbon steel.

The first is a hand-forged 35" (28" blade length) full-length peened-tang made with 5160 high carbon steel, leather-wrapped hilt and sharpened and is beautifully balanced. I also have a wooden mock, practice sword that is of the same length, weight and shape as this sword.

The second is also a hand-forged 46.5" (36" blade length) hot-peened full-length tang and also made of 5160 high carbon steel, with leather-wrapped hilt and sharpened.
This sword is too big for me to handle easily which is why I bought the other, shorter one. This one has ended up as decor in my viking-styled RV.

Both are made by Darksword Armoury and weren't cheap (the battle-ready swords never are) but they were money well spent IMO.

I carry the shorter of the swords at Ren Faires and such when I am in gear and have found that it compliments my style very well. I would really like to find a double-bladed (on either end) staff as a fighting weapon as I find that I really find it an easy weapon to work with.

I also have a gorgeous dagger from the same armourer

·
What would Mal do
5,237 Posts
have a "decent grade" functional waki...not quite traditional...has a hand n a half design and more contemporary wrap.. i have a modified boken to match.

it's part of my work-out routine incorporated into my katas and I have an adult son who is way better than I am as a sparring partner.

Would i strap it to the bob on my way out the door?.. not real likely...maybe if it's a bad enough day...nice to have the option...but I really don't watch all the TV/movie stuff where a sword is somehow a part of my fantasy survival plan.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Depends on weapons laws on what you can be owning without a certain criteria being filled..

Waving it around like a jackass you get shot dead,, transporting things a long distance be sure it is in a bag long enough hide the sheath or full hilt..

Japanese katanas I be making sure you belong to a martial arts with a sword and weapons sylobus ..

with photo ID of the martial arts school you attend..

To be honest sword vs gun gun will always win unless you are good enough to stalk someone to the point you can either stab them or lop their heads off..

Something that is designed to be a show piece should be kept as 1, in most cases you could likely hone a edge to the NCOs sword you were given though the reality reality is it is a show piece in f you were to actually hit someone with it, it would likely break in the battle..
Unless you know a master forger the reality is any Japanese sword you buy will likely be a dud and after a few hits it will likely break after use..

The swords you buy from your martial arts supply store aren't worth a pitch a goat **** because most are a display items yes they can be honed to a cutting blade though in a fighting context you will likely find they will break under stress..

·
What would Mal do
5,237 Posts
point well made Redlineshooter...

I would never consider taking my sword out in public..especially in the current politically correct anti-weapon climate and especially considering that a sword is now the favorite weapon of isis so it's an instant freakout for the public and a guaranty to have LEO draw down on you.

my days of formal class training are done..and my workouts are done in my home gym and back yard (I live in the country..no one to see me and get worried about it.
it would have to be a total WROL scenario to have me strap a sword to my bag...but I simply state that I do value more primitive tools.. I have multiple bows for example but again, a localized shtf that might make me have to bug out quickly...you're not going to see a bow and quiver strapped on...I'm sure it's all good fun Hunger games and Walking Dead stuff...but..no...it's way down the list on my survival plans..and again, if it's that bad a day...it likely won't matter..but a short sword or some version of a machete...yeah...they pack and travel well.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
To be honest big hand unless you are cutting something that is a density of a human being the reality is the sword is practically useless as a weapon and anything in the sub $1,500 range in a sword is a waste of money if you want true sword smithing you pay over $100,000 or more for it because you buy it for intended use rather than the live blade you may play with within your martial arts training..

Yes it may conform for intended killing use though reality is if you actually cut and kill someone with it you might get 2-6 kills before its a throw away piece..

This is the reality of using it as intended..

The NCOs sword I wouldn't touch one with a twenty foot barge pole most are mass produced and after being sharpened after a few whacks to will likely shatter ..

If I was going to go bladed tanto, or a sturdy and thick knife...

I'm a realist when it comes to sword play, I get deadly serious I don't stuff around with this subject..

Yup with the right training any weapon you can use can kill..

Whilst I was a fan of the hunger games franchise I also sure major faults with it though that is another discussion altogether

Yes any knife or blade will do in a fight..

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I have a Cold Steel sword cane I carry when I go walking. I also have a short navy cutlass . I'm not anticipating being attacked by other swordsman so I'm not worried about if my swords are battle worthy. They will deter most thugs or aggressive dogs. When it comes time to worry about Vikings and Ninjas attacking me I will be packing my Glock.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.