Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Governance Without State
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Though a long-time advocate of the Sitka Gearslinger bag from Maxpedition, I've recently switched to the Falcon 2, also from Maxpedition. Both bags have great everyday carry features, and like all things from Maxpedition, they're both built with superb quality control.

For a list of pros and cons and a video comparison of the two, click here.

Bonus: the video was shot inside the SNOmobile, our new official bugout vehicle.

And here's the video:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
That's a big rig for EDC. You carry that all day, every day, around town and home? I carry a 1911, 2 spare mags, 2 folders, Leatherman Skeletool CX, 2 lights, little FAK, hand sanitizer, carmex, Helios, phone and large wallet on me all the time. I use a Simms Windstopper DL jacket/vest, unless it's really hot, then I down-size to a Ltwt Officer's.

I liked the Sitka when I first saw it, but I went with the newer/smaller Noatak, which replaced my Pygmy Falcon II for fishing and GHB. Holds what I need and can attach more. Water is 1/3 of it's weight. Seems the Gearslinger series is a good thing but only with light loads.

I get your reasoning as well. I just use a bigger bag for bigger chores. Trying to make something fit never works too well for me.

Maxpedition makes the 12 x 5 water bottle pouch. It fits my 22 oz Berkey and then some.

·
Governance Without State
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply AK. Since the Pygmy didn't have the concealed carry capability I was looking for, the Falcon 2 was the best backpack (two-strap) solution. You're right that it's big, but yes, I take it everywhere -- as the video shows, I have it packed light, even in the winter.

The Noatak looks like a terrific EDC rig.

Does your Berkey fit in that pouch with the top zipped?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
The falcon II and the sitka are both great packs. I think picking one or the other would come down to personal preference.

·
Governance Without State
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just noticed some annoying artifacts in the video. I think it came out of Apple Color that way.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I don't have the pouch, just looked at them before. Kinda spendy but I am thinking of gettting two of them for my Becker Patrol Pack Molle. It needs a few good pouches. Gwynn1975 had an old review on his youtube channel and had his Berkey in there but I think it was a standard 10x4, if I am not mistaken. Ask him, he is a member on here.

One neat thing about the Noatak is the Granfors Wildlife Hatchet slips right behind the Y compression strap in the slit pocket and paracord secures it. Along with a shiny new Leatherman MUT, they are my primary utility tools.

When fishing, since I always wear chest waders and a quality float coat, I take out the rain gear and put in my fly boxes for easy access. I always wear a Eagle USOH holster harness with my gun, mags, knife and other stuff.

·
Governance Without State
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks AK, I found his channel -- it's excellent! Do you have one?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Thanks AK, I found his channel -- it's excellent! Do you have one?

I ordered a Maxpedition 10x4 Water Bottle Pouch. I found some stuff on a web site for $50 and it matches my Becker's color (Ranger Green) so I will give it a run. If it works, I will have two of them on the sides or the flap, I haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I gather from all the different colors available in the Falcon II that it's a very popular pack. I don't need another one but it looks to be a really good medical type rig with the different panels.

·
Governance Without State
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, I've found lots of people who use this bag for EMT, volunteer fireman, MARS, or RACES everyday carry. I even found one guy who is a cell phone tower technician, and it's his EDC rig. I'm trying to contact him and ask if he wears it while climbing, LOL. I doubt it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts