Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I own a saiga 7.62 which is 90% converted. {need to do FCG} anyway, at the range Sat. with my friend who has a stag arms AR.
The range master is pretty cool and let us open up on the range..:D:
I unloaded 2 30 round mags as fast as I could, and my bud did the same, then we switched and I unloaded the ar. One thing I LOVED was the AR has WAY less kick, and stayed on target much better than my AK. And..my freakin shoulder feels like Mike Tyson punched me. :xeye:
I'm on a very tight budget and can't go out and buy the AR and have 2 rifles, so I am thinking about trading in the AK and paying a bit outta pocket for the AR.
I would like to hear yall's thought on this, good idea or not?

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
Oh man I love telling people what to do with their money! :D:

Have you considered building an AR15? What is your budget? Even with a low budget you can spread things out to take down the cost. It took me over a year to build my first AR15 into a functional firearm (I still have plans for it! It might end up as two distinct guns at this point! lol), but was really really really easy and I got exactly what parts I wanted (with the exception of I wanted a free float upper but since I also want to build a different rifle using the upper I did end up with, I just gotta buy a different upper and build the lower). Here is a decent budget kit right here:

http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt103.htm

Just get a lower and put it together. The only thing I would change is to get a Bravo Company BCG. What exactly are you wanting? It sounds like you should probably do more research (or if you have but just didn't specify) and let us know. If you plan on just plinking get a budget gun (but still get the highest quality BCG you can get as they make or break the ar imo), but if you think your life may depend on it really research and get quality.

I think you should keep the AK by the way. I've been meaning to get one for a while but always end up with more AR15 stuff for some reason. :rolleyes: Keep the AK, save and either build or buy down the road

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
What AJ said is about what I would say do. Building an AR with Quality Parts from the get go is the only way to go. You get get what you really want. I know there's a crap load of choices but if you do some research you will find exactly what your looking for. Do a search on some AR/M4 sites that specialize in the platform, you'll get more info. M4Carbine.net, AR15.com are just a couple. Definitely don't want to veer you away from this sight but these sights offer more info. AJ also said it right about the BCG, settle for nothing less.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
hehe...see ya back here asking for advice on and ak in a few months ;)

lol jk, the AR(m16,m4...whatever) is a great platform...i *will have one eventually. Main reason for my purchace of the AK over the AR is ammo cost. Its roughly $500-$600 for 1k rounds of 5.56. That is REDICULOUS! A new stock really helped me with the recoil management but its still a heavy sob! the only downside to the AK system is weight imo.

First off, For $700 you could have an AK, 500, rounds, LBE, and mags...or JUST the AR, no mags, no ammo, no support gear. If you have the money then fine but think about your present situation aswell. it may take you a year to finish your bulild and have ammo,mags, and support gear for that AR. its better to have something you can use rather than a box of parts.

When i get the money, ill build my AR and make it my "closet B.O.G" and SBR my AK and use that as my truck/trip gun. for now my money is going to AMMO AMMO AMMO...and mags. I know i can shoot an AR damn well AND i am close to a gun shop owner that has my back and a full gun rack (hehe) so the AR build is not priority.

I agree that building it is the only way. Not only will you save big $$$ but you will gain the knowledge that is a must with the AR.

bravocompanyusa.com
rainerarms.com
dynamicarmament.com
midwayusa.com
brownells.com

are all great sites, not an all-inclusive list by anymeans but it will give you an idea. there is no reason why you cannot build a perfectly serviceable AR for about $700. It wont be fancy but it will kill just as good as any.

Both are plenty effective in both the ballistics AND accuracy so if it takes an AR for you to be a productive american then by all means sell the AK and get yourself into something that your comfy with. One perk of the AR is that CMMG makes an EXCELLENT .22lr conv and since the recoil of the 5.56 is really non-existant, your not loosing any training realism with the .22lr. I have found that with an eotech 522, the POI is close to the same inside about 75 yards between .22 and 5.56 ball.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
the AR has less kick because, well, it has less KICK. better be able to hit the baddies multiple times for a kill.

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I had a brain fart..I forgot about buying a part at a time and building the AR :)
I figure once a week I could buy a part. My budget is around 6-700ish. And I do want a quality firearm that will save my arse if the blue helmets come calling..lol

·
Libertarian from Dixie
64 Posts
If you're going to do it here are some things to think about + a few suggestions.

Operation:
Short stroke
Long stroke
Direct impingment

Cartridge:
Not going to name all of them off, but pretty much anything from .22LR to .50 Beowulf.
Most popular it seems- .223/5.56, 6.8 SPC II (my choice, nice compromise), 7.62x39mm, 5.45 commie, .450 Bushmaster, .50 Beowulf.
If you want a larger, longer cartridge (.308) you can always go AR-10.

Barrel length:
Rate twist
Length
and of course all your tacticool stuff- rails, vert. grips (I'm going with the AFG-1 from magpul) or maybe you like the K.I.S.S. method with A2 handle, heat shield and all.

Manufacturers:
Ask people's opinions. Stag Arms is a good co. especially for us southpaws (too bad they don't have a rifle in 6.8 with gas piston)

Just some food for thought. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
194 Posts
If your going to build here are a few suggestions
-cromed bolt carrier
-1 in 8 or 1in 7 twist
-Pmags
-flat top if you want optics
-Heavy buffer

·
Hooligan on Holiday
2,368 Posts
I own both an AK and AR and love em both.
advice
1) don't get rid of your AK
2) build an AR, lots of helpful advice on getting parts kits and lower receivers. this way you get a great piece at much less than retail.

good luck.
What he said, no reason really to dump one rifle for another. Start by getting your lower like everyone here has already stated, buy a part at a time if on a budget like most of us are, and dont be afraid to ask questions. Sure you will get BS answers from haters or from those that have never built an AR before but it is a money saver to build plus a great feeling knowing that YOU built the weapon, not some company. Keep the AK that way when the endless BS AK versus AR threads always pop up you can sit on the sidelines and laugh at the stories from both variants with the knowledge of having both like most of us here.
You can build a quality AR for under $600 with mags, screw the whole get an AK with ammo for that price as that has been so used up and over done. Whatever the rifle, ammo is gonna cost either way and with 90% of 5.56/.223 you can reload it unlike most 7.62X39 so right there is a plus come SHTF not to mention custom loads.
Get a 1/7 or 1/8 twist as stated because it will allow you to run heavier grain bullets much better than a 1/9

I like my AK very much I might ad but I love all of my AR's

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
Keep the AK and save for the AR. No reason not to have both. They each have their strengths and weaknesses but together they can cover a wide range of uses and circumstances.

Firearms are tools. You wouldn't have a tool box with just a Phillips head screwdriver would you?

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
Yeah I had a brain fart..I forgot about buying a part at a time and building the AR :)
I figure once a week I could buy a part. My budget is around 6-700ish. And I do want a quality firearm that will save my arse if the blue helmets come calling..lol
Ya know if you bump that up to 800 bucks you could get a brand new ready to rock and roll Spikes Tactical rifle and they are one of the best manufacturers on the market.

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=387

They have everything on "the chart." I own a few of there products including a complete upper and the thing is top notch. How they are so reasonably priced I don't understand.

Also, BCM currently has carbine uppers for less than 400 bucks minus handguards but you could buy a 30 dollar Magpul handguard and those are way more comfortable in my opinion than standard handguards. Then for around 250-300 bucks you could get a complete lower or simply build one:

stripped lower (look around and you get one for less than 100 bucks)
Lower Parts kit (expect to pay around 70 bucks)
buffer tube, spring and M4 collapsible stock should also be around 70 bucks. However, you would need the Ar15 tool another 30 bucks.

Also, BCM does have a lifetime warranty so that is something to consider. Something breaks, they will fix it!

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
So why didn't anyone mention say a 20" barrel saiga in .223 or 5.45x39. Less kick. And pretty damn accurate. FCG on the saiga is easy man. took me like 2hours with a lot of beer breaks. That includes painting it.

AR's are nice range guns and good shooters. But for me seeing things mechanically. Less parts=Less failure & less cleaning.

On another note. You can get one of those M&P AR's for around 700 or 800 these days. Or you could go the saiga route and pay 400 to 500. and that's after conversion price.

But when it comes to firearms. It's what fits you best that matters most. And what feels good to you.

Happy hunting

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Once you start collecting them, your rifles will become almost addictive. You really do need to have more than one kind of rifle available. I would keep the AK and collect some ARs too. Enjoy. Spurlge on yourself. You're a prepper. You DESERVE them.

·
planner and prepper
403 Posts
$700 is MORE than enough to pick up an AR and some mags, especially if you want an M4 style. See below:

$265 for a DSA M4 upper (no BCG) that is parkerized
$135 Bolt Carrier Group and Charging Handle
$100 Stripped lower (can find deals for blemished lowers for as low as $70 at times)
$60 Lower parts Kit
$50 standard 4 pos stock, spring, buffer, and buffer tube
$40 rear folding sight (mbus, promag, etc)
total is $650.

That leaves $50 to cover any incidental fees (transfer on lower) and a couple mags.

I just did the above build for a buddy and when it was all said and done he had the above with 5 Cproducts mags for $726. Only difference form above was I got a lightly used Magpul budget version CTR stock (MOE I think, came with box/papers/etc) off ar15.com for him, and sold the standard 4pos stock body.

The upper is the largest one time purchase. IF you want you can even part that out to upper, barrel, Delta ring assembly, Gas tube, front sight, muzzle device etc. But IMO it is worth getting a built upper at $265, you can't really build one for less using new parts.

·
Space Cadet
656 Posts
I have to agree with Reed, AJ and the others - keep your Saiga and build an AR as you can afford it over time. I kept my AK and built an AR last year. Last week I took them both out and we had a ball with both. I do like my AR better but real glad I kept the WASR too.

Like others said buy a stripped lower and then add good parts. Definitely look at the M4 Comparison Chart as was suggested. Build it right and use good parts. You might want to buy a complete upper though, it'll be headspaced and test fired. Also odds are you'd need to buy tools for the upper but most of us have the tools already to build the lower.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
www.rguns.net

Or go to Walmart and read a Shotgun news and find plenty of other dealers.

By the way 5.56 ammo can be had for under $300/1k now.

·
Formerly Known as GOFO
2,872 Posts
I would check about offering a trade on the boards - I did that and got a 1:1 exchange on a heavily modified Saiga I did for an Armalite mid-length carbine. We were both VERY happy with the trade.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts