Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Objectivist
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this switchblade knife at a yardsale this weekend. All metal handle(heavy) and repair ports at the switch and at the end. I figure for $5 it is a nice addition. Anyone seen one of these and know anything about it?

Attachments

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
Picked up this switchblade knife at a yardsale this weekend. All metal handle(heavy) and repair ports at the switch and at the end. I figure for $5 it is a nice addition. Anyone seen one of these and know anything about it?
Looks like an old 1980s or early 90s OTF from The Edge Company. They had a similar pattern and would dress it up differently, etc. Some of them were OD Green and had "NATO" printed on them, etc.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
I'm sure you can get one. If you can and you want one, get it. It's a pocketknife.

·
Banned
1,581 Posts
Unless you live in Oregon don't even think about carrying this military spec ops back up knife!! :eek:

Get caught with that in your pocket and go to jail for carrying a deadly weapon (which it is designed to be).

Best thing to do is put it in glass case and display it. :cool:

·
Objectivist
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Banned
1,581 Posts
I have a CCW and it looks like they are OK to carry according to state law.
http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum/showthread.php?18144-switchblade
This is a hell'va thing to stake your freedom on! :eek:

Why diddle around finding out IF you're legal to even own the damn knife??:rolleyes:

ASK your local LEO since he/she will be the one most likely to bust your butt when you foolishly carry this weapon. The LEO is the person who has last word on if a knife is legal or not when they stop you for any reason.

I will admit for the average citizen auto knives have a huge toy factor that makes a person want to own one, play with one, carry one but don't carry one unless you are police or military if you don't like jail or fines.

·
Objectivist
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a hell'va thing to stake your freedom on! :eek:

Why diddle around finding out IF you're legal to even own the damn knife??:rolleyes:

ASK your local LEO since he/she will be the one most likely to bust your butt when you foolishly carry this weapon. The LEO is the person who has last word on if a knife is legal or not when they stop you for any reason.

I will admit for the average citizen auto knives have a huge toy factor that makes a person want to own one, play with one, carry one but don't carry one unless you are police or military if you don't like jail or fines.
Jeb Bush in 2003 decided they were just fine to carry, provided the knife blade does not detach from the handle. Albeit, I usually carry a Case XX Sodbuster.
http://laws.flrules.org/2003/82

(1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, display, sell, own, possess,
or use a ballistic self-propelled knife which is a device that propels a
knifelike blade as a projectile and which physically separates the blade from
the device by means of a coil spring, elastic material, or compressed gas. A
ballistic self-propelled knife is declared to be a dangerous or deadly weapon
and a contraband item. It shall be subject to seizure and shall be disposed
of as provided in s. 790.08(1) and (6).
(2) This section shall not apply to:
(a) Any device from which a knifelike blade opens, where such blade
remains physically integrated with the device when open.

(b) Any device which propels an arrow, a bolt, or a dart by means of any
common bow, compound bow, crossbow, or underwater spear gun.
(3) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) is guilty of a
misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s.
Section 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law.
Approved by the Governor June 2, 2003.
Filed in Office Secretary of State June 2, 2003.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
Unless you live in Oregon don't even think about carrying this military spec ops back up knife!! :eek:

Get caught with that in your pocket and go to jail for carrying a deadly weapon (which it is designed to be).
What ranting and raving and emotional nonsense. Besides that, it's just incorrect and ignorant. With people like you around, who really needs Sarah Brady?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
With so many assisted opening knives on the market that are legal, why even bother with something like this?

Now I understand that the OP got the knife for a good deal and that is why for him, but for the rest of the slaves it is just not worth the hassle.

·
Pantomime Villain
3,969 Posts
With so many assisted opening knives on the market that are legal, why even bother with something like this?

Now I understand that the OP got the knife for a good deal and that is why for him, but for the rest of the slaves it is just not worth the hassle.
The question we ought to be asking around the world is why shouldn't an honest citizen be able to carry whatever design of pocket knife they desire?

I had one of these years ago - very handy to have when opening lots of packages. Typically they have a safety device which prevents them going off with any real force in your pocket - which could be nasty in your trousers!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The question we ought to be asking around the world is why shouldn't an honest citizen be able to carry whatever design of pocket knife they desire?

I had one of these years ago - very handy to have when opening lots of packages. Typically they have a safety device which prevents them going off with any real force in your pocket - which could be nasty in your trousers!
You have no argument from me. Most of the switch blade laws were made back before I was even born. Now the question is, do I get involved in a fight that does doesn't really change things? There are knives that get around the stupid law so the argument is mute except on the side of principle.

Now I can waste my time and energy on this or I can use it more wisely by fighting the real issue and not the symptom. Pick and choose your battles so that your time and effort have the greatest effect. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts