Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to my new new bud, Bushman Bryan, I have an absolutely perfect example of what
looks to be an unissued/new Swiss Engineer's Rucksack in darn near immaculate condition.

It's absolutely clean in/out and besides the normal storage patina, everything is in working order.
I haven't even detailed it yet (general cleaning, brass polish, leather bottom & strap oiling).

Going to stock it with a nice Axe (the Estwing will go into my Hellcat),
a nice Bushcraft Knife (thinking BHK Bushcrafter...open to suggestions)
and a few "in case I have to spend a night in the woods" essentials.
This is going to be a day pack with some cookware and tools.

I'm going to use it for those days that I want to go out and just practice my skill.
I'll take some books with me, food, my camera and possibly a journal to keep notes.

I have a feeling this is going to be my favorite pack. I can't believe I snagged one
in such great condition and basically for 1/4 of the going price on the market rate.

Enjoy the pics. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
That's a good looking pack :) .

I think you'll like the Blind Horse Bushcrafter if you get one of those.
The scandi grind model is a bit heavier than the flat grind but it works great.

Good score on the pack !!!

Cliff

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats it weigh in at? Its very pretty but looks heavy for a long hike.
Just weighed it: 6lb 8oz (that's with all it's extra leather strapping attached).
"Long hike" is a subjective call, but I plan to use it for just getting out into the
woods a few miles from anybody and being by myself. Plus, it's not like I'm
going to pack it with a lot of gear. I doubt (including pack weight) I'll carry
more than 20lbs. But even if I did, I probably wouldn't walk more than an
hour before I got to a place I'd want to get to.

The local surplus store near me has some of these, and I will check them out later this week.
If you can get one, GET ONE! I don't have the luxury of living near a surplus.

That's a good looking pack :) .

I think you'll like the Blind Horse Bushcrafter if you get one of those.
The scandi grind model is a bit heavier than the flat grind but it works great.

Good score on the pack !!!

Cliff
Thank! :thumb:

It was between the BHK and the Bark River Bushcrafter.
Everyone screamed BHK. I'm not 100% set on anything yet,
but the BHK is the front runner right now.

:)

Reactions: Goosed

·
Survivalist
394 Posts
Nice looking ruck. How much do theses run? My wife surprised me with a Swiss salt and pepper ruck. I love it but it isn't in nearly as good condition as that one it has some leather rot. Swiss rucks are some good looking packs, and very durable.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NIce looking back. How much do theses run? My wife surprised me with a Swiss salt and pepper ruck. I love it but it isn't in nearly as good condition as that one it has some leather rot. Swiss rucks are some good looking packs.
Thanks. :thumb:
Average about $20. for the pack + $15.-$20./shipping.
I got really lucky with this one.

·
what?
261 Posts
I was issued one of these and used it for many years during the annual trainingcourses.
They are sturdy as hell and personally I wasn't sad to see it go, when we got retrofitted in 95 with modern battlepacks.
Fully packed for long range patrols it was very uncomfortable to carry, and we weren't allowed to put any unofficial upgrades/padding or so on to it.
Actually, if I remember it right, the engineers rucksack had a double outside pocket and a slightly bigger packingvolume, as this is the standard rucksack issued to all infantrytroops.
It's funny to see our old stuff resurfacing over the whole world.:)

It will serve you for many years, they're "unkaputtbar" as we say.:thumb:
Cheers, WTG

·
Registered
599 Posts
Could you explain what the two metal loops are for on top on pack?
I've seen them before on other gear.
They are for the load lifter straps on the shoulder straps.

I picked up one of these packs for my vehicle GHB because it's sturdy, cheap, and very water resistant. If you can find one, these are great for use in situations where your "good" gear might get lost or damaged.

·
Registered
215 Posts
man I tell you... the "guy" part of me says that pack is the freaking bomb (and I have one of my own) but the practical side of me looks at the weight and those really skinny leather straps and says "AUGH!!... PAIN INCOMING!!".

that whole pack is just this awesome mcawesomeness built on awesome but lord help me.. I dont wanna carry it!!

I'll bet with some scissors and a needle and some stolen straps and a waist belt you could make it fairly comfy, and by being liberal with the removal of wieght, pare it down to closer to 5#.

I'd have more fun modifying it, but mine isnt in that pristine shape like yours.

If that pack were mine I'd probably carry it around for a while just to do it, play with it in the living room, maybe get it a bit dirty, THEN modify it, then move on. Thats my process for that type of stuff.

Looks like great fun, and no amount of experimenting is ever harmful to your knowledge base. Just have fun with it!!

Awesome pack bro. :thumb:

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can, as said, rig some sort of load-control straps, regulation use was to strap your lunchbag aka as "Brotsack" on, or the sleepingbag, or any other gear.
Was that the same thing as the "bread bag" I've heard mentioned?

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Awesome looking bag, and hope it works for you. But at 6lbs for the bag alone...I'll stick with my 2lb Osprey which has served me great.

The style of that bag is defently what i like in a classic rucksack. How's the waterproofing?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts