Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably going to be one of those "common knowledge but no one thinks to ask" things.

I keep seeing hiker and backpacker videos where people wear a swiss army style shirt with the 2 chest pockets, and keep them empty while loading everything into their backpack, including stuff like radio, snacks, sanitizer and other quick items.

Now, I like the shirts and I know the best answer is "whatever is practical", but I wanted to ask if anyone here uses them and what they keep in the front pockets?

Also, the left pocket usually has a small string loop. What is this for?

·
Registered
402 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that anything in chest pockets would get in the way while wearing a backpack. The straps from the pack would probably make carrying most things in the chest pockets very uncomfortable and not easy to get to especially if using a sternum strap.

·
Registered
365 Posts
This is probably going to be one of those "common knowledge but no one thinks to ask" things.

I keep seeing hiker and backpacker videos where people wear a swiss army style shirt with the 2 chest pockets, and keep them empty while loading everything into their backpack, including stuff like radio, snacks, sanitizer and other quick items.

Now, I like the shirts and I know the best answer is "whatever is practical", but I wanted to ask if anyone here uses them and what they keep in the front pockets?

Also, the left pocket usually has a small string loop. What is this for?
Shirt pockets I'm sure are as you said whatevers practical, the small string loop is probably for sunglasses the ear rail slides down through the loop granting easy access without crushing inside a pocket or pack.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Pockets are useful, but you need to make sure you don't pack them with bulky items, especially if wearing a backpack or shoulder bag.

I have worn a compass, whistle, small tin (mini mints tin) with dry flies, chapstick, Sliver Gripper tweezers or a small flat ID card holder (for my Driver's license, credit card and cach).

I've seen some guys carry larger items, but it can get a little too cumbersome for me. Additionally, some of the shoulder pockets such as found on the newer ACU uniform shirts are excellently placed for handy items.

ROCK6

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.