Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
I've had the same SAK for almost 20 years. It served me well until Leathermans starting coming on the scene...then it was delegated to dust collecting duty.

I normally carry a lock-back folder or small pocketknife in my pocket...the SAK is too 'fat' for my taste. If I was going to spend the money, I would look into a decent multi-tool.

Just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also like the swiss army knives but, unless you carry it in a pack or a belt case, the big ones will rub you in all the wrong places! I also carry a SOG multi-tool because the cutters are strong enough to cut fence wire and they almost always are sold with belt cases. For the time though, the SAKs were the shee-ot! MacGyver made them cool! That dang guy could do anything!

·
Registered
54 Posts
are they worth the price if not what is a good alt. knife to get
For a good alternative,you should consider the TOOL LOGIC credit card multi-tool. Not too expensive and fits perfectly in your wallet. Mine has a detachable knife, a flint, compass, toothpick, tweezers, can and bottle opener and a map scale. They make several variations for about $20 each. Good tool to keep in mind!!:)

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
SAKs are the best. I EDC a Hiker, I think, I've had it so long I can't remember it's name, with a saw blade and awl instead of corkscrew. I have several others I carry from time to time for different purposes.
Probably the best all-around knife, if you can only have one, would be a SAK locking folder with saw blade and awl, no corkscrew. I've never found any use for a corkscrew, but use the saw and awl regularly, more than even the knife blade. There are many models, find one that has what you want on it and enjoy.
I also have Gerber and Leatherman multi-tools which I sometimes carry, in addition ot the SAK, but the SAK is always with me.

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
I've carried a "Gentleman's" small version of a SAK for thirty years. It's in my pocket all the time unless I'm flying.

In the field a Wenger Survivor SAK and Leatherman Surge multi-tool handle all the small chores required around a campsite that I've ever needed to do after I got them a few years ago.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've got a bunch of them and think they are one of the best values out there. I'm always finding myself reaching for my SAK to handle a variety of tasks. Great value, easy to sharpen, take a great edge, tons of tool combos for you to choose from, lifetime warranty. I have a small one on my keychain (not sure which model) and usually EDC either a stayglow Climber or a red Farmer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's worth the money if you don't already have one. Yes, Leatherman/Gerber/ect... multitools are much more useful, but to me they are heavier. I take the multitool camping or in backpacking, but in town the SA is just fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.