Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Observer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent holiday/ vacation, my Swiss Army Knife (Huntsman) managed to get a free swim in the sea. Now, they're supposed to deal with saltwater, if you rinse them off properly, but sadly, I only realised after it dropped outta the wet bag. I rinsed it as best as I could, but it was stuck fast, and I couldn't get the tools out no matter how hard I tried. Sound familiar to some of you? Fear not!

****SKIP HERE IF YOU WANT ANSWER FAST!!!****

After researching endlessly to try and find out about de rusting and de salting my knife, I found a workable, easy and affordable solution: Coca Cola.
Pour just enough Coca Cola into a PLASTIC tub so it covers the whole of your folder, SAK or other, and leave it to soak for 12 hours.

DO NOT take it out to "have a look", just leave the Coke to work.

After 12 hours, take it out and scrub the ratty rusty bits off the knife, run through some high pressure water, work the tools as best as you can (you should feel/see a noticable difference) and then repeat the whole process (remember to use fresh Coca Cola for each cycle) until your knife is usable again!

Dry knife with compressed air or other methods and then oil with some 3 in 1 or Gun oil, et voila, rescued knife!

This worked for me after 3 Coke, Wash, Scrub, Work cycles. Results may vary!

Be careful when manipulating the knife after each cycle, the stiffness could give way under the applied pressure suddenly (as I found out, luckily when I had my hand protected in some heavy work gloves!)

·
workin on it......
1,110 Posts
Yea, I know. And imagine what it's doing to people who only drink that stuff first thing in the morning on an empty stomach....ick.
I stopped drinking soda around 15 years ago. Guess I better get a couple of cans to have for " just in case" lol

·
Observer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was trying not to think about the times I'd drunk glasses of the stuff in summers gone by. But cops use it to clean blood, it de rusts stuff and all sorts. Like you're drinking an industrial solvent really lol.

But it saved my SAK, so I'm happy!

·
Pro Aris Et Focis
280 Posts
If you really want to remove rust, use molasses. Use a solution of about 60% water, 40% molasses, you can use warm water to help dissolve the molasses a bit easier, sometimes a little stronger ratio, depending on the object. This is what the shipyards use to use before sandblasting & acid was available on a commercial size. It takes a bit longer, usually a few days. When i was younger I restored a woodworking hand plane & the blade was so rusted I thought I'd have to get a new one until my grandfather told me about the molasses. It cleaned it so well you could even seem the temper line of where the blade had been heat treated. Sorry to hijack the thread :)

·
Observer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you really want to remove rust, use molasses. Use a solution of about 60% water, 40% molasses, you can use warm water to help dissolve the molasses a bit easier, sometimes a little stronger ratio, depending on the object. This is what the shipyards use to use before sandblasting & acid was available on a commercial size. It takes a bit longer, usually a few days. When i was younger I restored a woodworking hand plane & the blade was so rusted I thought I'd have to get a new one until my grandfather told me about the molasses. It cleaned it so well you could even seem the temper line of where the blade had been heat treated. Sorry to hijack the thread :)
Thanks for the tip :D:
And not hijacking, just contributing :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.