Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was admitted to hospital last night. He was sick the last few days with fever and last night had trouble breathing. They kept him overnight and was just released about an hour ago. Out of all my friends/people I know that have been sick of late he had it the worse. He doesn't have any underlying conditions nor did he get vac'd.

---------------

Swine Flu Death Toll at 10,000 Since April

Federal health officials said Thursday that almost 10,000 people had died of swine flu since April, a significant jump from mortality numbers released last month.

A month ago, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated that only about 4,000 had died.

Officials also said that 50 million Americans, one sixth of the country, had caught the disease, and that 213,000 people had been sick enough to be hospitalized.

Several flu experts said they were not shocked by the sudden jump because the new figures were as of Nov. 14, when this fall’s wave of swine flu cases was reaching its peak.

The previous estimate of 4,000 deaths, issued last month, was only through mid-October. By next month, deaths should not have risen quite as abruptly because the fall wave is tapering off and hospitals have fewer people in intensive care, experts said. More...

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
^^^ blackitty....

4,000? 10,000?... I skimmed the article. What I did notice is that... the article failed to mention... 4,000 in the USA or 4,000 World Wide? 10,000 in the USA or 10,000 World Wide?

One *could ASSUME* they were referring to the USA, but considering how MSM plays upon the general public... I'm not willing to assume anything.

Now... let's assume they were referring to the USA... 10,000 is still a drop in the bucket compared to our 30+Million population. JMHO

·
Not new
602 Posts
According to the United States CDC-Center for Disease Control, before the scare, in an average "seasonal flu" year in only the USA 36,000 people die of the "seasonal flu".

I would say handwashing is good, coughing in you shirt sleeve is good, staying home if you have symptoms is good - call your MD office on the telephone - they will tell you to come in if required.

I think all the precautions are helping people about the "seasonal flu" as well.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
It is impossible to find reliable data on this flu.

I do NOT trust the CDC, they are part of the control machine.

Reports say it started in Asia, but an infections map from the CDC shows virtually no cases in Asia, yet America is swamped by them.

Don't believe the hype its a sequel...

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
The seasonal flu kills primarily the very young, the very old and the immunocompromised. H1N1 kills ALOT of healthy young people with no preexisting conditions..... Thus the tizzy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
10k out of 50 million infected is .02%. I read it was 1 in 6 Americans that had been infected. Seems kinda high. Seems that the percentage is the same in the Ukraine where they have had 70 deaths.

Of course it wasn't in the traditional flu season. We have yet to go through that.

What is the normal flu mortality rate .01%????

·
Padawan
589 Posts
The seasonal flu kills primarily the very young, the very old and the immunocompromised. H1N1 kills ALOT of healthy young people with no preexisting conditions..... Thus the tizzy.
No it doesn't. The vast majority of all people who have had swine flu, have survived, 0.01% have died. Of those, the number of younger people has been slightly higher than normal.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
How can they give this number if they quit confirming swine flu cases months ago? How do they know they had the swine flu or the normal flu?

"You may not be able to find out definitively what flu virus you have. Currently available rapid influenza diagnostic tests cannot distinguish between 2009 H1N1 and seasonal influenza A viruses. Most people with flu symptoms this season will not require testing for 2009 H1N1 because the test results usually do not change how you are treated."
Source CDC:
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/diagnostic_testing_public_qa.htm

36,000 people die from normal seasonal flu every year.
Source CDC:
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm

·
Registered
225 Posts
I hear about a fair number of deaths from the "swine flu" in my area, but every time the radio broadcaster says the victim had "underlaying conditions".. Swine flu is definitely overplayed.
I'd suggest staying away from that vaccine as possible though.

Make us fear, make us submit, control us. Seems to be the game plan here.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
No it doesn't. The vast majority of all people who have had swine flu, have survived, 0.01% have died. Of those, the number of younger people has been slightly higher than normal.
Slightly? Not what I'm hearing. The increased rate of young people is significant.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/10/13/h1n1.flu.young.adults/index.html
"An analysis of the sickest swine flu patients in Australia, Canada, Mexico, and New Zealand suggests that relatively healthy adolescents and young adults are among the most likely to get very sick after an H1N1 infection, a pattern similar to that seen in the 1918 influenza pandemic...These studies are telling us that young people are at risk for bad complications of H1N1 and under usual circumstances, [seasonal] flu does not cause acute respiratory failure in younger people," says Dr. Neil Schachter, the medical director of the respiratory care department at Mount Sinai Medical Center, in New York City, and the author of The Good Doctor's Guide to Colds and Flu."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/16/60minutes/main5390519.shtml
"One of the most unusual things is the higher number of kids who are ill: usually, an average of 66 children die in a flu season; this year, it is 86, so far, with seven months to go"

What I'm reading in general is that about 60% of deaths from H1N1 are in young generally healthy people, unlike seasonal flu where most are in the elderly (and very young and immunocompromised).

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Bzzzzt. No. 90% of seasonal influenza deaths are in the elderly (65 & over). The other 10% are immunocompromised, just like Mama said.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Numbers, numbers, numbers...

You can't state a percentage of deaths CFR) unless you know how many people have been infected with the disease, and nobody does. I've explained the problem with finding CFR here, but the short answer is that in the U.S. at least, the CDC is basing their estimates of total infections on telephone surveys/self-diagnosis of ILI (Influenza-Like-Illness) symptoms. Any stated CFR that uses this type of estimate should be viewed with skepticism.

This also applies to the CDC's mortality estimates, including both the 36,000 annual numbers and the current 10,000 H1N1 estimate.

We can compare, to some extent, apples to apples when we look at pediatric deaths. Since pediatric deaths from influenza are individually reportable, these deaths are recorded every year.

According to the CDC's own numbers, found here

http://www.cdc.gov/Mmwr/mguide_flu.html

annual pediatric deaths are
2003-4 153
2004-5 47
2005-6 46
2006-7 78
2007-8 88
2008-9 67 (non-H1N1 deaths)

The CDC says average annual pediatric is 100; the actual average is 95.8, pretty close to 100. Remove the 2003-4 outlier, however, and we can see that the typical year is not 100 pediatric deaths.

In a typical "recording" year which runs through May, we could expect to see 60 or so pediatric deaths. So far this year, the CDC has recorded over 200. You should also be aware that this is a "lagging" number that will be adjusted upward as post-mortems and other procedures are done. We've already had at least 3 times the number of pediatric deaths from flu and we're not halfway through December.

That's it? We've got less than 3 weeks for 26,000 more to die. Better get on it!
No, we've got until May.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No, we've got until May.
This H1N1 doesn't appear to follow the traditional flu season as it didn't in 1917-1918. It started in the spring. It may continue to go down and come back in the spring and go through the summer again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This H1N1 doesn't appear to follow the traditional flu season as it didn't in 1917-1918. It started in the spring. It may continue to go down and come back in the spring and go through the summer again.
Yeah, you're right.

It may also do as H2N2 did in 1957-58 and surge again in the winter. I don't believe that we've seen much penetration ino the adult community yet and the winter may bring that to us.

Additionally, consider that even using the CDC's questionable estimate of 50 million infected so far in the U.S., that leaves 250 million or over 80% that have NOT been infected.

Who knows? Certainly not me; I'm not psychic (just ask my wife :D:) But I figure that if a tiger is stalking the jungle outside my door, I'm gonna try to keep track of it as best I can.

BTW, sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant by the comment about May was that the flu season count runs until May. H1N1 will be with us for some time to come.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Who knows? Certainly not me; I'm not psychic (just ask my wife :D:) But I figure that if a tiger is stalking the jungle outside my door, I'm gonna try to keep track of it as best I can.
You are right to keep that eye on it. There really is no telling what it will do. I do believe we are better equipped to handle this than in the past in it's current forms. I say forms because it appears there is one that is relatively mild as well as one that is deadly but doesn't seem very transmissible.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
There probably are a million infected people in the US in this week alone. That's a lot of 'seeder cases' as we move into our traditional flu season. On top of that we've got mall shopping, X-mas with family, New Year's parties, and all kinds of sporting events. The Recombinomics website has been talking about all of the changes it's been spotting in samples (and some of those are old).

It seems like the stage is set for this to turn bad. If there's not a huge uptick by mid-Jan, I will be really surprised. Having said that, this whole pandemic has been building so slowly that you can almost buy into the argument that this will fizzle.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts