Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
New thought!
How big a risk is swimming?
Does chlorine in pools kill the virus?
In regards to public pools that use chlorine and not salt and this virus, I would speculate that a pool is the safest place you could be in public. I even had a thought about using our hottub to decontaminate before entering the house. Again, that is pure speculation but chlorine is supposed to kill the virus right? Isn't the amount off pull shock you put it the tub way more than you would need to make many many gallons of bleach?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I haven't seen anything put out by a US authority yet, but Italian authorities claim that standard pool chlorination to a free chlorine level of 1.0mg/l is sufficient to inactivate the virus. Haven't found any mention of other pool treatments such as bromination. I know a lot of pools these days use bromine or salt water systems rather than chlorine.

Source: HERE

Ric

·
Registered
456 Posts
A few years back my youngest DD was taking lessons at our town's pool. After a few days she became sick. Really sick, couldn't stop vomiting. First thing the doctor asked is if she had been at the public pool. He said it was norovirus and half the kids in town caught it while at swimming lessons. DD was one sick kid for over a week.

Haven't been back since. Family now has a private pool so we avoid the public pool altogether.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
A few years back my youngest DD was taking lessons at our town's pool. After a few days she became sick. Really sick, couldn't stop vomiting. First thing the doctor asked is if she had been at the public pool. He said it was norovirus and half the kids in town caught it while at swimming lessons. DD was one sick kid for over a week.

Haven't been back since. Family now has a private pool so we avoid the public pool altogether.
well there goes my little theory down in flames "crashed and burned"

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Covid-19 is airborne. There are viruses that are waterborne, those that are droplet borne (the larger droplets of fluid from sneezing or coughing), those that are food borne and those that are airborne. They don't live long outside their contagion source. Almost all die the moment they dry out so some level of moisture is required, but obviously a waterborne virus needs more than one that's airborne. Almost all corona virus are droplet borne. This one is more contagious just because it's airborne. That's why they're saying a simple face mask that doesn't hug tight against the face won't stop it. Simply keeping the droplets of someone coughing (or speaking very close to you) off does not stop the finer particles that waft on open air.

Virus that require a lot of air die sooner in too much water. If you dump a gallon of airborne virus in the municipal drinking water reservoir nobody will get sick because 1. it dilutes it too much for any one person to get enough individual spores to sicken them. 2. sunlight and water will kill it quickly. 3. chemical sanitation (chlorine usually) will kill the rest.

You will catch it from anyone coughing and sluttering while wandering around the pool. You will not catch it from swimming IN treated pool water. The vast majority of things in water that make you sick are bacterial, not viral.

·
boringly normal
308 Posts
I was a lifeguard and swim instructor for years.

Trust me, stay AWAY from Y pools and public pools. Even if the water has enough chlorine, there is the pool deck, the locker rooms, the chairs, the partying lifeguards(high school and college kids, mostly)....stay away.
Maybe an outdoor pool with not a lot of swimmers that is crystal clear. Maybe.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I was a lifeguard and swim instructor for years.

Trust me, stay AWAY from Y pools and public pools. Even if the water has enough chlorine, there is the pool deck, the locker rooms, the chairs, the parting lifeguards....stay away.
Maybe an outdoor pool with not a lot of swimmers that is crystal clear. Maybe.
I was also and agree with you 100%. And I can't tell you how many days I had to pull excrement out of the pool water at the end of a shift...

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I wouldn't even get in my own personal pool with one other person if it only had the above stated equivalent of 1 ppm---part per million. That's a joke. That's drinking water levels folks--and the low end of that. NOT water that has been contaminated by sweat, sloughing off of skin cells, pee,,,,,,,,,,,,and that's enough so forth and so on!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I haven't seen anything put out by a US authority yet, but Italian authorities claim that standard pool chlorination to a free chlorine level of 1.0mg/l is sufficient to inactivate the virus. Haven't found any mention of other pool treatments such as bromination. I know a lot of pools these days use bromine or salt water systems rather than chlorine.

Source: HERE

Ric
Its misleading marketing to take advantage of those who didn’t tank science in high school. Salt water pools disinfect by the same free chlorine as pools treated with HTH, sodium hypochlorite, or dichlor or whatever.

Bromine is a different beast.

Free chlorine levels of 1 ppm have long been accepted for maintaining water safe from bacterial or viral contamination. A 1ppm residual is required by EPA and AWWA ( talking drinking water now). Public pools often run higher, or are required to run higher due to a sudden bather load, or to contain any risk from a fecal event.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts