Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago a co-worker gave away tomatoes from his garden and they were simply awesome. They were the sweetest tomatoes, even better than candy and I love chocolate! He disappeared and haven't seen him in many years so I can't ask what tomato it was.

Any ideas what tomato is so delicious and sweet? They were average sized.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
No idea what he had.

For sweet and low acid I have Gold Medal's. A big beefsteak type, bicolor yellow with red when ripe, tender juicy flesh with excellent flavor. They were a bit slow to ripen compared to others, but well worth the wait.

·
Banned
10,320 Posts
Black Plum is an OP that is super sweet and firm.
Black Cherry is probably the sweetest OP variety that I've cultivated.
We did Black Crim this past season, awesome mater'

Sweet Pea from Annies, been 3 years and they are prolific little gems, great in salads. I was like, no way those little thangs, now a believer :thumb:

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
You can sprinkle sugar around your tomato plants before you water them. The sweetness of the sugar will be absorbed by the plant and make your tomatoes sweeter then they would have been.

But the naturaliy sweetest tomato I ever ate was a sun gold cherry tomato.

·
Actias Luna
4,229 Posts
The best full size tomato I've grown/tasted is Cherokee Purple. They crack and get ugly but the taste is phenomenal.

The best cherry tomato I've grown was a Chocolate Cherry that volunteered in my garden. It may have crossed with another variety though.

Darker skinned tomatoes seem to taste the best, to us anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.