Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all;
Does anyone know if it's too late to start sprouting sweet potatoes for March planting?
:)tamilee

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Josiah922.
how about a quick lesson on sprouting sweet potatoes.
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Yall, are helpless.

ROFL, just joking.....Yall know I am new to this stuff too.

I will try to do you a video tomorrow. But here it is in a nutshell. At least this is what my mother did. She was the green thumb in the family.

Take a mason jar. Fill it with lukewarm water. Take some toothpicks and stab them into the sweet potato so they are around the sides of the potato. In other words the long axis should be up and down. (hehe - if it was the other way it wouldn't fit.) Then take the more pointy one of the ends and place that into the water. The toothpicks will hold to potato half way out of the water. Place in sunlight and keep water in the jar. Wait....

That is really it.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I source I read says keep the slips at about 80 degrees while sprouting. Just seems like that is might warm. I got lots of sand to put them in.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Got it thanks..........Yall. hey I got kin in Bibb county I can say it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
fyi.. after u have planted the sweet potatos.. the leaves that grows on the twine that runs all over the place.. the middle portion.. those tender leaves can be eaten.. taste mightly fine in a stirfry with some oyster/hoisin sause..

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Im in Texas and didnt get mine planted here until June thanks to the record rainfall. Mine did just fine and infact I am about to eat a 2 fisted sized baked sweet potatoe from my garden this afternoon for lunch.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HI Y'all;
I'm starting my sweet potatoes this evening. I'm going to try it the way Josiah does his. Last November I was able to buy 2 bushels of UNWASHED sweet potatoes. I usually do this in the fall , anyway in their unwashed state they last for months. I have them spread out in cardboard boxes and stashed under a bed.
This year I am determined to grow my own and the unwashed sweet potatoes are a,so untreated so they should sprout fairly well.
Thanks for the info.
:)tamilee
P.S. Peeled and sliced and fried in coconut oil is our favorite way to eat them.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I put them in a jar like that for 2 months last year and got nothing. Maybe I got yams instead of sweet potatos. The mix and match the names with the product in these parts. I always thought they were basicly the same thing except that the yam is a tropical plant.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
I put them in a jar like that for 2 months last year and got nothing. Maybe I got yams instead of sweet potatos. The mix and match the names with the product in these parts. I always thought they were basicly the same thing except that the yam is a tropical plant.
Been doing a little research on this. There is an application of something that stops the sweet potato from sprouting. I can not remember what it is off of the top of my head, but they use it to treat potatos going to the supermarket to make them last longer and not sprout while they are sitting their waiting to be sold. This might be case of what happened with yours.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Good info. I guess that I will just have to order a few to sprout, then save a few for planting the next year, like I do with regular potatos.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Been doing a little research on this. There is an application of something that stops the sweet potato from sprouting. I can not remember what it is off of the top of my head, but they use it to treat potatos going to the supermarket to make them last longer and not sprout while they are sitting their waiting to be sold. This might be case of what happened with yours.
Same with regular potatos as well... I made the mistake one time of trying to plant some & about 1 out of 10 sprouted anything...

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Finally got a sweet potato that had not been washed and got enough rain water to start it today.

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
hmm, i would like to get some sweet potatoes going, but will have to see if i can find an organic/non GMO one from my local health food store. I'd like to stay away from wally world if i can for produce.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
hmm, i would like to get some sweet potatoes going, but will have to see if i can find an organic/non GMO one from my local health food store. I'd like to stay away from wally world if i can for produce.
I did next best thing to organic, found a local farmer who does road side that we have been getting stuff from during the years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts