Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! Last night I talked my grandma into ordering a few firesteels since my birthday is October 13th, (I'll be 15, so I don't have my own credit card :)) But I ordered them off of Sportsmans guide. I ordered one ARMY model, like Kev has in his videos, and I ordered a three pack bundle for only $15.00 which were generic brand. Does anyone know much about these three packs from www.sportsmansguide.com ? Just wondering. Well, any feedback would be great! :):cool::)

P.S.: My mom hated the idea, since I have a magnesium firestarter, but I love firesteels, since I bought a Kershaw Scout model at a gun show recently. They work very nice, but I was looking for a larger one for primary use!

·
Registered
774 Posts
They're all the same basic thing: a ferro rod. Doesn't matter what company is selling it or how much they're selling it for. It's the same alloy and will give the same sparks. The only differences between them is the size and handle.

You can get more for your money by ordering ferro rod blanks. These are simply rods with no handle.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
(I'll be 15, so I don't have my own credit card :))
I know this is off topic but I had to say something. PLEASE, forget the credit card idea !!! They just tie you down financially and that's one of the worst positions to be in for a survivalist. Everyone says "I make my payments on time every time..." Fine, but when you play with snakes you're going to get bit. Cash is king. Even with horrible inflation, it's better than being in debt. Don't run with the crowd whose bank owns all their stuff!!

Good luck!!

·
Banned
651 Posts
I posted something before about the Blastmatch vs. the Swedish firesteel and similar. There is no comparison. Just for grins, this weekend I'm going on a three day camping trip. Since I'm going mostly for fun with sheeple, I'm bringing lots of redundant gear, i.e., three different firtestarters, a colman type stove an MSR Whisperlite International, and a SVEA 123, both a Hennessey Hammock ( I know made in China, now, and regret buying it) and just a regular bp tent. It should get fairly cold and there will be a lit of free time doing nothing so I'll break out all this stuff and take careful notes.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The generic brand looks like the same one I got recently. I had an *extremely* hard time getting the thing to spark consistently. The teeth on the steel are just too tiny.

Using a hunting knife with a serrated edge worked great. Or you can get some bolt cutter and snip through the steel piece's hole that the string goes through (so that you have a half-moon). That gave me an edge that I could produce sufficient sparks, but I lost the ability to be able to carry it on the string.

Next time I'm sticking to the more expensive Swedish fire steel. If you take a close look at the picture, you can see that it's teeth have bigger grooves between them. I have seen cheaper prices though.

·
Jack of all trades
228 Posts
I just got my 3 pack from SG last Thursday. They work just as well as my Kershaw that I ordered from Smokey Mtn. Knife Works. You don't use the teeth of the striker on the ones from SG, they sort of sharpened the edge of the striker and it works really well.

Roger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts