Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I wish they explained more in depth what he actually did. :(

I always enjoy reading about the horrifically dangerous and possibly felonious science experiments some do in their spare time.

·
FEMA Region IV
458 Posts
Other websites claim he DID create am ini melt down on his stove, at which point thats when he decided what hes doing might be illegal.

Uh...

if he could create a "melt down" I bet he could keep a reaction going that would make a bit of steam ^_^.

Wouldn't generate much power tho.

·
I hate everyone equally !
1,291 Posts
I know this dude :) And he is legally classed as nuts

He is actually good at chemistry and has even made some nervgas at home ( both fosfatebased and others )

But on topic : He has played with Torium Americum Uran and even some plutonium

He had a private hompage for a while where he documented some of his crazy ideas

Oh as a sidenote to explain how nuts he is : He actually shot him self once just becuase he was curius about how it would feel like

·
Sad But True
93 Posts
you know what I noticed?
all science crazy people are named Richard,trust me I know from personal experience
on a second note this isnt the first time,there was a boy scout who tried to do this once and he almost wiped out his whole neighborhood and everyone had to be evacuated
its pretty surprising how easy it is to make one though,making one safely though thats another story.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish they explained more in depth what he actually did. :(

I always enjoy reading about the horrifically dangerous and possibly felonious science experiments some do in their spare time.
He has a blog. I'm not sure if its OK to link it on here as it might be against the forum rules on posting something that might be considered 'illegal'. Sorry...you'll have to Google it yourself. Look for Richard's Reactor.

·
Registered
260 Posts
This whole thing was overblown in the media and frankly puts amateur science in a bad light...

I love how the buzzword "meltdown" was thrown around in the media... nowhere even close, aside from boiling over a beaker on his stove...One of the pics pretty much said it all, complete with an ash tray full of cigarette butts in the background.. nice lab safety, even if just at home...

His smoke alarm Americium-241 source combined with beryllium would only yield a neutron or two every hour at best and the likelyhood that his Uranium would capture that neutron is not that great...No plutonium for him, I am afraid.. not even close...

This incident wasn't even remotely close to being in the same league as the David Hahn (a.k.a - Radioactive boyscout) incident...That kid did an admirable job, aside from turning his parents backyard into a super fund site...

Regardless of the Swede's knowledge, this was poor science for a bored person on a Saturday night, I am afraid...

MG

·
Registered
260 Posts
There is nothing wrong with what he did. He was just trying to split atoms. And as far as I am aware that is still legal.

http://richardsreactor.blogspot.com/

The technicality is his utilization of radioactive materials. His materials were all treated under a general license for a specific application - smoke alarm ionization chamber, radium paint on watch hands, etc... The Uranium marble was probably a license exempt quantity and the amount he had was a very small amount...In the US, it is illegal to utilize such materials outside of the design parameters, although it happens all the time. I don't know swedish law but suspect it is at least as rigorous and limiting as here in the US...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I found his blog and was looking through the pictures and saw his stove where the "meltdown" happened. I thought it was hilarious he had a ash tray on the stove which tells me he is dumb enough to smoke while doing all of this haha.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Where are our self-proclaimed nuclear experts.
What he was trying to do, wouldn't have worked. There is no way he could have a meltdown. He better go back to reading, as so far he hasn't learnt much.
The odds are he will have cancer down the road.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a video online based on David Hahn's work called...

How to make a nuclear reactor at home

Nuclear Boyscout...lol. :D:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts