·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always knew this was true. :D:
Being Vulgar is now cheek!!!!!

By Richard Gray, Science Correspondent
Published: 8:00AM BST 12 Jul 2009

Scientists have discovered that uttering swear words can help to lessen the feeling of physical pain.

The study by researchers at Keele University found that volunteers were able to withstand pain for longer when they swore compared to when they used words which were not offensive.

Dr Richard Stephens, who conducted the study at the university's school of psychology, believes it may explain why swearing is still common place in languages around the world.

He suggests that swearing could have evolved as a way of raising aggression levels and reducing the feeling of pain to allow our ancestors to flee or fight back when attacked by predators.

He said: "We think it could be part of the flight or fight response. In the volunteers who swore, we also found they had an elevated heart rate, so it could be increasing their aggression levels.

"Increased aggression has been shown to reduce people's sensitivity to pain, so it could be swearing is helping this process."
More Here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencea.../Swearing-can-reduce-the-feeling-of-pain.html

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I remember talking about this with my English professor back in high school in 1994. He was saying that people that swear all the time dilute the effect of what swearing can do. It is meant to be a stress reliever but loses that effect for people (pretty much a lot of us!) that swear often.

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
Mechanics and construction workers have known this to be true for decades.
Some of you guys know what I mean..hehehe

I've skinned my knuckles more than once fooling with an engiine,
I dropped a C4 tranny on my hand once, bent my index finger straight backwards.
Thats how new swear words are invented.

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Mechanics and construction workers have known this to be true for decades.
Some of you guys know what I mean..hehehe

I've skinned my knuckles more than once fooling with an engiine,
I dropped a C4 tranny on my hand once, bent my index finger straight backwards.
Thats how new swear words are invented.
Yep dropped a C4 tranny on my arm and a small hydraulic jack was the only thing the saved me from a broken arm. How to go from 0 to ballistic in 1 second hit your index finger with a 28 oz Vaughn framing hammer at full swing.

·
3 more years of this?
2,864 Posts
Or slamming your right hand in your car door on a cold icy day and trying to get your keys out of your right pocket with your left hand, sounds easy trust me its not especially when your jumping up and down cussing.:mad:

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Does that mean people with Turrets syndrome are the happiest folks out there?
No it means they can really take some pain!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts