Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SPS 20" bull barrel, it is intended for a precision rifle (within 500yrd). Do you think it is a little short? Could you please tell me how hard it is to swap a 20" with a 24" barrel.
Thank you.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,890 Posts
It's not hard but you do want a gunsmith to do it.

Price of the barrel, plus cost of the gunsmith. You could be just as well off selling one and buying another!

You don't mention your caliber, so I would question your thoughts as to why you'd want to do this?

If it's a .223, there isn't a lot to gain, if it's a -06 base cartridge then you will do well with a longer barrel.

I would want a 26'' barrel, depending....

·
Registered
650 Posts
You can shoot to 1k with a 20" barrel...make sure you have the right scope and at least a 20MOA base will help you out. I think it's more important to find out what twist barrel you have on your SPS to determine the ideal bullet weight for your barrel twist.

You are looking at roughly $600-700 to have a smith rebarrel a Remington. This is why I will always recommend a Savage over Remington because you can do your own barrel swaps on the Savage in under 20 minutes with $100 worth of tools.

ETA, I had my 26" Savage 308 out to 1,000 yards this past weekend and it was easy for me to get consistent hits on a 16x20" plate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank y'all for your informative replies. I have a 308 and I'll look into another bolt action instead. Based on most review a Savage will be on top of my list, maybe a 30-06. Thanks again.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,422 Posts
I would re barrel it in a heart beat. I own the tools so it would cost me just a rifled blank and some of my time. About $300 for a equal quality barrel.

·
Demon of the Midwest
4,978 Posts
I just shorted a barrel from 29 to 20 inches. It use to be a 1.5 inch gun, its a jagged hole gun now. For the little you loose in velocity, and its minimal you gain a lot more in rigidness of barrel and maneuverability. We also have a Mauser actioned 308 that we took down to 18 inches, it to has not suffered in accuracy. I believe for 308 its 30 fps lost, or gained per inch, depending on weather your going longer or shorter.

24 is about the minimum length for magnum calibers but for the 308 its not really needed. The Army and Marine core sniper rifle is only a 20 inch barrel after all.

If you do go with an 06 for your next rifle get the 26 inch Remington varmint contour or similar to it. Load up some 308 208 grain Amax bullets, there F'in magical when combined.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,422 Posts
I just shorted a barrel from 29 to 20 inches. It use to be a 1.5 inch gun, its a jagged hole gun now. For the little you loose in velocity, and its minimal you gain a lot more in rigidness of barrel and maneuverability. We also have a Mauser actioned 308 that we took down to 18 inches, it to has not suffered in accuracy. I believe for 308 its 30 fps lost, or gained per inch, depending on weather your going longer or shorter.

24 is about the minimum length for magnum calibers but for the 308 its not really needed. The Army and Marine core sniper rifle is only a 20 inch barrel after all.

If you do go with an 06 for your next rifle get the 26 inch Remington varmint contour or similar to it. Load up some 308 208 grain Amax bullets, there F'in magical when combined.
Sounds like a great improvement in the performance of the first gun. While shorter barrels are stiffer, an improvement like that is likely due to removing a worn portion of the muzzle. In any case, great job.

I fitted my light hunting rifle in 308 with a 20 inch barrel and I agree about the portability.

But my long range rifles are built with 24-26 inch barrels. I want to maximize the muzzle vel and make the rifle more stable in the field. I find that a 9 lb gun balanced at the front action screw is easier to hold steady in the field.

I also would never choose the 308 cartridge for a long range gun. The muzzel vel is just too low with any length of barrel. I see no reason to make range estimation and long range bullet drop any harder than it has to be.

I recommend a medium power predator cartridge such as the 25-06, which has a much higher muzzle vel, very little recoil, and is typically even more accurate. Which considering how well your 308 is shooting is saying some thing. One of my rifles in 25-06 has shoot nothing but hand loads. Every singl variation of bullet, powder, and case shot less than .75 moa and several groups are less than .5 moa. All this with a 100 grain bullet at 3250 f/s.

Yes, the US Army uses the 308 for their intermediate range rifles, but they use the 300 mag and 50 BMG for long range work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts