Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
10,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw an Egyptian Hakim at Chico Ca. Gun Show Saturday for $600.00 (With Accessories and in VGC) but I am really wanting a Soviet era SVT 40, are these Rifles both decent as backup Higher Caliber Semi-Auto Rifles or just collector weapons ???

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
The SVT 40 is not imported here in the US anymore, so the prices are STEEP, despite the fact that in Canada they were reportedly barely more than an SKS for decades.

I have a Hakim, it was designed by the Swedes as the Ljungmann, it works well, but it was designed as a 6.5 mm, and the Egyptians wanted an 8mm.

The Hakim is a HEAVY weapon, much like the Garand or M1A1, and it's not easy to scope, but it does hold 10+1, and will put heavy full power rounds on target. I don't think its THAT loud, but it DOES have an integral muzzle brake, so it's going to make some noise.

In my AO, $600 is a decent deal on a Hakim, but both rifles are really more Milsurp collector guns, as 8mm isn't that easy to buy in "prepper" quantities, and though they are tough, IF something broke, there's just no parts available.

Here's a few shots of my Hakim.
At 50 yards, it's Milsurp adequate in the accuracy dept, especially considering there's no sight setting for 50, so I was using Kentucky windage to hit the bull.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Strange I was thinking about a Hakim a couple days ago. Was going to look on Gunbroker to see what they are selling for. Always wanted a Hakim as a kid drooling over a Samco Global Arms sales flier.

I remember tripping over SVT-40's at the local gun shop to buy a Sporterized Enfield back in the late 1990's...

Buddy of mine bought a SVT-40 and brought it in to the shop to ask us to disassemble it for him. Being an AK nut, but having never handled one, I figured it out pretty quickly.

These days I think you'd be better off going with a 7.62x54 AK. Lots more parts available out there.

·
Noble Savage
2,314 Posts
My personal pick would be the SVT-40, but I've always been fond of Russian weapons so I am a little biased.

The only Hakim I ever handled belonged to my father, it blew apart the 2nd time we took it to the range.... so there's that to consider too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.