1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33,244 Posts
yes, the discovery channel did a thing on it a while back

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
It would be kind of cool for us to actually start a seed vault. I have my own organic seeds.

A ton of pumpkin seeds. They produce a lot of food for little effort. Also Greens. They grow in mild to frosting climates, so they make a great 4th or 5th harvest.

Reactions: HarvestTime

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
It would be kind of cool for us to actually start a seed vault.
If you dont have your own seed vault, I recommend you start one.

Mine is stocked full of greens, turnips, corn, peas, okra, pumpkins, watermelons,,,,, and a lot of other stuff.

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Mine is stocked full of greens, turnips, corn, peas, okra, pumpkins, watermelons,,,,, and a lot of other stuff.
Ochra........lol thats one plant I wouldnt care if it disappeared.

Disgusting stuff!:D:

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Ochra........lol thats one plant I wouldnt care if it disappeared.

Disgusting stuff!:D:
Pickled okra, fried okra, okra gumbo,,,, yum, yum.

In fact, my wife and I are cooking some gumbo right now. These pictures were taken just for this thread.

IMG_0261 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0262 (Medium).JPG

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
Those Rocekfellers are avid preppers, aren´t they?

·
Trust but verify
660 Posts
Know about seed vaults? Yes

Right now there are seven popular seed banks around the world now having varying degrees of complexities, some going for longer than the one you cite. For the basic premise it’s a good idea to have baseline stock piles should a catastrophic event happen to the earth whereby the human race can reintroduce critical food chains. Man made genetic altercations of existing seeds and crops may have far reaching negative implications not foreseen in our modeling and introductions affecting future environmental ecological systems and supplies. Natural occurring things as those comets stinking into Jupiter gave us all a wakeup call that it may very well happen to us here on Earth.

The only problem is that after a major catastrophe, it would be highly unlikely for preparers to actually find one of these underground caches and enter into it. What an expense of distance, skills, and energy to overcome. For these reasons, survivalists are creating their own seed stockpiles more readily accessible and portable… Does anybody agree?
Ned

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts

Had one Kev... then a guy told me to freeze them, to make them last longer.

Then another guy told me, that kills the seeds.

So now I have two seed vaults.

Are the frozen ones any good?

Reactions: HarvestTime

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had one Kev... then a guy told me to freeze them, to make them last longer.

Then another guy told me, that kills the seeds.

So now I have two seed vaults.

Are the frozen ones any good?
The ones in this norwegian place are kept at -18 c so yours should be fine

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
One thing I've been wondering about the Seed Vault is the location. It seems perfect. With the permafrost, even if the vault get deserted, many of the seeds would be fine for a long while even without the extra cooling. Extra cooling is easy to get since the town uses some of the coal it mines to running it, so no problem in getting power. Also, having daily flights help transportation. Still remote and hard to get there for most people. Remote, cold but civilized.

And then Wiki claims it is safe from seismic activity. Wrong. The fault line coming up through Iceland is rather close to Svalbard's west coast. Epicenters neverthleless are usually southeast of the island. The biggest earthquake was 2 years ago with a magnitude of 6.2, it was felt in Longyerbyen (the location of the vault). There is absolutely nothing to indicate this is a safe area. There seems to be 2 larger earth quake zones two to the west and one to the east. But research just spans back to the 1970s. They might be in for some nasty surprises.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Know about seed vaults? Yes

Right now there are seven popular seed banks around the world now having varying degrees of complexities, some going for longer than the one you cite. For the basic premise it’s a good idea to have baseline stock piles should a catastrophic event happen to the earth whereby the human race can reintroduce critical food chains. Man made genetic altercations of existing seeds and crops may have far reaching negative implications not foreseen in our modeling and introductions affecting future environmental ecological systems and supplies. Natural occurring things as those comets stinking into Jupiter gave us all a wakeup call that it may very well happen to us here on Earth.
So if there are already several in existence, and have been there for a long time, why do they feel the need to lay out a fortune for another? Curiouser and curiouser.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.