Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
This is news to me. It was officially issued by the federal reserve but, discontioued cuz people were mistaking them for quarters & there were complaints about it.

Anyone who doesn't want theirs just send them to me. I've never sold one for less than $5.00 & I've had them go for as much as $30.00 on ebay.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,933 Posts
poppycock, just call your local bank, they will tell you it is still legally circulated.

what really ticks me off is when a McDonald's says that they will not take my $50, which clearly states "legal tender for all debts, public and private. Interesting enough, the local sheriff's office will not take cash for some things, they will only take a certified check or money order.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sarge912, the store's bank refuses to accept these. Hence my question. I guess my other question would be, are all banks forced to accept all legal tender? Or do they have the option, of say, not accepting Eisenhower dollars, or Susan B Anthony dollars?

The www.usmint.gov website did not have answers either.

p.s. This is a regional chain store covering several states in the midwest. It is Big Lots.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
Maybe it was just a stupid checker. I used one here and the young lady argued with me that it was a Canadian coin. Her manager had to come over & tell her otherwise.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
The cashier was an idiot.

Ever since we have decided to once again pin on the badge and strap on the gun and be the world's policeman, there has been an influx of Afghanis buying up gas stations and whatnot around here. One of them actually told me I was on camera and he was going to call the authorities because I used a $2.00 bill. "You go ahead and do that." Morons. One of the American employees came over and told them it was real.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe it was just a stupid checker. I used one here and the young lady argued with me that it was a Canadian coin. Her manager had to come over & tell her otherwise.
Lol! A Canadian coin that says "United States of America"??? I've heard that illiteracy is still a major problem in big US cities, but seriously?? She needs to get a better supplier for her crack.

Actually, the checker DID joke with me when I handed her the newest Sacajaweah dollars. She said "We don't take these. Ha ha. Just kidding. We don't take SAB dollars. The bank won't give us cash for them."

It's also possible someone else told HER this as a joke.

I also noticed none of the coins in my pocket say "legal tender", though there is room for that. Not even the dollar coins.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
. . . will not take my $50, which clearly states "legal tender for all debts, public and private. . . .
I think the key word here is "debts."

The fee is paid before you get the food. There is no debt yet and they are able to make it part of the terms of the trade deal.

I wonder if they would turn down $50's or $100's if I took the ball team there for hundreds of dollars of food? (and paid with exact change / or within $10)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can see big city McDonald's, or gas stations, not taking larger bills. It's a robbery risk. It also uses up their change. I guess businesses CAN decline legal tender, such as $50 bills and SAB dollars.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
all us bills even a 10,000 if you can find them are legal tender tho some the collectability is worth more than there face value you can even take a one dollar silver piece to a bank and deposit it into your account for a dollar

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I think the key word here is "debts."

The fee is paid before you get the food. There is no debt yet and they are able to make it part of the terms of the trade deal.

I wonder if they would turn down $50's or $100's if I took the ball team there for hundreds of dollars of food? (and paid with exact change / or within $10)
Naw, I think they don't take bills over $20, because it makes it easier for them to do the registers when they change shifts.

4 stacks of bills 1s 5s 10s and 20s and no stragglers.

Also, its less tempting for people to steal the large bills and replace them with their own twenties.

·
10,933 Posts
Sarge912, the store's bank refuses to accept these. Hence my question. I guess my other question would be, are all banks forced to accept all legal tender? Or do they have the option, of say, not accepting Eisenhower dollars, or Susan B Anthony dollars?

The www.usmint.gov website did not have answers either.

p.s. This is a regional chain store covering several states in the midwest. It is Big Lots.
find out what bank they use and call them directly. I don't believe that they are telling you the truth. If the Federal Reserve still takes them (which they do) the local banks will also. If you find a bank that refuses, please post the name of the bank and branch.

·
10,933 Posts
The reason McDonalds will not take any bill over $20 is because they are afraid of counterfeits. I have forced them to take one when my bill was over $50 (remember, I have 11 kids and it is pretty easy to do.) They moan but the other option is to not give me the food that they have already bagged up.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
This is news to me. It was officially issued by the federal reserve but, discontioued cuz people were mistaking them for quarters & there were complaints about it.

Anyone who doesn't want theirs just send them to me. I've never sold one for less than $5.00 & I've had them go for as much as $30.00 on ebay.
This made me smile. You find some very dumb folks:D:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reason McDonalds will not take any bill over $20 is because they are afraid of counterfeits. I have forced them to take one when my bill was over $50 (remember, I have 11 kids and it is pretty easy to do.) They moan but the other option is to not give me the food that they have already bagged up.
The US $20 bill is the most counterfeited bill in the world by far. Not US $50. That makes no sense for the business to have that policy. Besides, it takes 1 second to swipe a counterfeit detector pen over the bill to test it.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
The US $20 bill is the most counterfeited bill in the world by far. Not US $50. That makes no sense for the business to have that policy. Besides, it takes 1 second to swipe a counterfeit detector pen over the bill to test it.
that only tests the paper the good counterfits they bleach a one and print the 20 or whatever on it the pen will register it as legit

·
www.chemflame.com
1,174 Posts
I think they look at it as a greater loss with a counterfeit $50 over a counterfeit $20. If I buy something for $10 with a counterfeit $50, the store is out $40 rather then the $10 with a counterfeit $20 bill.

·
Registered
618 Posts
A store told me yesterday that the Susan B Anthony dollar is no longer legal tender. Is this true? I knew it was nearly impossible to find in "the wild" but it's not legal tender? The store said the banks will not accept it.

Wikipedia did not address this issue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_coin_(United_States)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_B._Anthony_dollar
You need to go back to the same store and ask to talk to the manager when you try to buy what ever it is your buying if they dont accept the coin then they are refusing payment ....if you want to get really hard core about it have the police come and show them .. I had a Doctors office refuse payment from me one time wich was a sweet deal because when they did it allowed me to have free medcal care for my visit

A place can say it dosent accept all it wants but the fact is if it dosent its broken the law

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts