·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Survivorman Vs. Bear Grylls on drinking urine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Meh i wouldnt compare them both as one is a survivalist and the other is ex special forces. I guess grylls shows more of " if you have no choice" scenarios. I like them both tho as they both show useful ways to survive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This guy is a PUD!There's another video of this guy or the other surviver man showing how to fill your jacket with a pocket of air and use it as a floatation device as you body surf down a fast flowing river,But if you look closely you can see a life jacket under his shirt. These guys a bunch of fakes!

·
(not a) One Man Army...
1,032 Posts
I've done it
it won't kill you
won't even hurt you as long as its fresh its sterile...
The claity willl determine the salt and impurity content...

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Urine is a waste fluid that is meant to remove impurities from the body. It's certainly not fit to ingest in its raw state. Now, if you were in the worst possible survival situation and you had the means to purify it, I suppose it could be recycled although I am no expert on the subject. I would rough filter it as best as possible. I would boil it. I would dissolve some iodine tablets in it and allow it to sit. Then I would filter it through my hand held Katadyne filter pump. I might even boil it one more time. Of course, by then I would have died of thirst.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Look there's loads of these threads kicking around about Bear and Survivor man.

Put them in a cage and let them fight it out.

So who's your money on then Kev?

·
Banned
152 Posts
To be able to drink urine all u need is a piece of plastic and a small container......dig a small hole......**** in the hole.....put the container in the hole...cover the hole with the sheet of plastic.......... place a small pebble on the plastic above the container.........when the urine evaporates it will condensate on the plastic....with the pebble above the container the condensation will run down the plastic sheet and be funneled into the container...drink it when it is done...what is left is pure drinking water.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Saw Bear do this "Solar Still" but the Urine was used in a still made with a tarp/plastic bag. The urine and saltwater were not actually drank but used for condensation which formed on the plastic then dripped into a drinking vessel. Not allot of water but better then none. As far as actually drinking the Urine, bad, bad, bad. Unless you can afford on of those filter systems they use for the astronauts.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Distillation

Urine is a waste fluid that is meant to remove impurities from the body. It's certainly not fit to ingest in its raw state. Now, if you were in the worst possible survival situation and you had the means to purify it, I suppose it could be recycled although I am no expert on the subject. I would rough filter it as best as possible. I would boil it. I would dissolve some iodine tablets in it and allow it to sit. Then I would filter it through my hand held Katadyne filter pump. I might even boil it one more time. Of course, by then I would have died of thirst.
Why not just use a solar still or distill it on your stove/fire.
Easy, but takes a bit of time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There is no reason in the world to drink urine--whether distilled or filtered or whatever--when there are many better sources of potable water.

For example, you could cut a notch in the top of a live vine, then cut off the bottom, then squeeze out the water in it. Also, bamboo sections have water in them when the plant is alive, as do cacti, albeit, cacti water can be bitter and might need filtration to make palpable.

Moreover, speaking of filtration, one could make a filter out of a container of activated charcoal, pebbles, and sand to get impurities out of most impure water sources, then boil what comes out for at least a few minutes.

Finally, you could just lay a wide tarp down on the ground over night, then catch water early in the morning in the form of dew or frost.

As you can probably surmise, I am not much of a fan of either Bear or Les. Bear is a long-proven phony, so forget him.

While Les has some interesting tips, he doesn't use his resources nearly as well as he could (e.g. he could have made a fire with either a spark from his motorcycle battery or with one of his camera lens.) Also, Les takes un-necessary risks all the while telling people not to do what he's doing (e.g. with mushrooms,) his trips have stupid rules (e.g. no hunting with the rifle) and Les is such a ninny about killing animals that would have no qualms about killing him.

·
Registered
243 Posts
WoolyBooger, The TV guys are phoneys and poseurs, however, my Dad's Bluejacket's Manual from his service in the Navy details legitimately how a pair of pants can make a floatation device. You take off your pants while in the water, tie off the legs, get air into the pants by putting them over your head and blowing air into them, tie off the waist, then hold on for dear life.

(This is probably why sailor pants have baggy legs, are laced up, and are often made of canvas. This is so they can hold more air, bead off water, and can be secured to your person in the event of a man overboard.)

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I was told that drinking urine was bad for you. i think this is a mixed subject for many people.
Millions of Japanese drink it daily for health reasons, it's quite the fad. While it's is not nessarly good for you, it will also not hurt you and there are some rehydration aspects to it to think about. I guess it depends on how thirsty you are?
Bear is an arrogant blowhard IMHO.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts