1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.Consider staying indoors at dawn and dusk,peak mosquito feeding times
2.Avoid scented soaps,lotions, and shampoos
3.Cover your skin as much as possible.
4.Studies have shown mosquitoes are attracted to the color blue.
5'Eliminate standing water in your area,old tires,etc.
6.Keep gutters clean,keeping water from accumulating.
7.Water trapping rain barrels should be covered.

Repellents:products containing DEET seem to get the nod here
Mosquito bites:clean with soap,commercial bite "sticks" available

West Nile:Symptoms include fever, headache, tiredness, and body aches, occasionally with a skin rash (on the trunk of the body) and swollen lymph glands. While the illness can be as short as a few days, even healthy people have reported being sick for several weeks.

Ticks;
1.Check your clothing often for ticks climbing toward open skin. Wear white or light-colored long-sleeved shirts and long pants so the tiny ticks are easier to see.
2.Tuck long pants into your socks and boots. Wear a head covering or hat for added protection.
3..Always supervise children in the use of repellents.
4.Walk in the center of trails so weeds do not brush against you.
5.“Tick Checks” are an important method of preventing tickborne diseases. In areas where ticks may be present, be sure and check yourself, children and other family members every two to three hours for ticks. Most ticks seldom attach quickly and rarely transmit tickborne disease until they have been attached for four or more hours.
6.If you let your pets outdoors, check them often for ticks. Infected ticks also can transmit disease to them. (Check with your veterinarian about preventive measures against tickborne diseases.) You are at risk from ticks that "hitch a ride" on your pets but fall off in your home before they feed.
7..Wash the bite area and your hands thoroughly with soap and water, and apply an antiseptic to the bite site.
8.'Repellents similar to mosqitoes

Lymes disease:Know the symptoms of tickborne disease and consult with your physician if you have a rash or unexplained fever with flu-like illness (without a cough) during the month following a tick bite - these can be symptoms of a tickborne disease.

This is by no means all the information available,with all the rain we've had here,they are a severe problem,any more information would be GRATEFULLY appreciated,it's a pain just going outdoors.

Thanks,Bob

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
About now, at the end of the rains, this place turns into a mosquito breeding farm... I have a cheap pressure washer with a modified nozzle I made that shoots a stream about 100 feet. There is a suction inlet for soap, etc., I hook up a gallon of water/few ounces of kerosene/detergent/cup of veggie oil/a little squirt of Raid mix and spray as far as I can reach, up into trees too. They breed in the water retaining holes in trees. The mix leaves an light oil coating that floats on water and kills larva. I find if I do this for a few hundred yards out it really cuts down on the damn mozzies. With a load of Dave's Insanity hot sauce instead, probably would make a decent crowd control device too. Got too many deer to ever be rid of ticks completely. Rubber bands on pants legs...

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Good list, Bob. Mosquitos also like tall grass. Pics below are at the back of my property when I moved here....and after I cut it. It's cleaned up more now, with no grass laying around....and you can see dirt. Keep it cut, and am starting to fill the low spot with dirt, so if it ever decides to rain here....water won't stand. The other "bad" thing here....is there is a wet weather creek just beyond the pics. After it rains and the water stops running, it sits and becomes stagnant til it dries up.

Another important item when it comes to mosquitos.....is pets. If you have dogs that go outside, or you keep outside, have them on HeartGuard preventative, or similar.

I've also had ponds....and keeping fish will take care of larvae. But just having an ornamental pump in there that sprays and keeps the surface agitated will work at keeping mosquitos from laying.

People in town will have better success on the ticks, if they are even present, although I've not seen any out here yet. Again as with mosquitos, ticks like tall grass. Keep it cut.

When I lived in town, I sprayed about once a month to kill fleas and ticks. If you have shrubs....spray them also. I used to have a fence line of photinias....mosquitos seem to love them.

Dogs haven't had any fleas or ticks either, although I keep out front sprayed. We still check them each night when we brush them.

Just thought I'd throw these ideas in there.

If you cant keep the rain barrels cover all the time throw a couple goldfish in there, they eat the larvae.
You can also use mosquito "dunk rings, or "control" rings in a barrel. I used to get them at the garden center for the bird baths. They have a natural occuring bacterium called Bt israelensis...(Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis ). They float and kill larvae.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,416 Posts
My last house was in the middle of mosquito alley!

I learned a few things there. I tried to get my outdoors activities done during the day, as the mosquitos weren't active then unless you disturbed them on plants.

DEET works great and is something that those of us in mosquito prone areas should stockpile.

If you can, try to get indoors before dark and make sure your windows have fine mesh screens on them.

Cover as much exposed skin as possible when you're outdoors.

Garlic spray repels mosquitos pretty decently and also helps with garden pests.

Of course keep down any stagnant water that they can breed in. You can get dunks for water that you can't cover. These are harmless bacteria that are safe for fish and humans. Though you'd probably still want to treat the water before drinking. You can use mineral oil for this purpose too, but it cuts off the O2 supply to fish.

Mosquitos are initially attracted by seeing the movement of your warm body. They can see infrared and motion attracts them. As they get closer, they can follow the CO2 from your breath. Once they get close enough, they can then smell you. This is how repellants work. They can still track you, but when they get close enough, they can't smell you so they don't land and bite.

They make several types of attacheable chemical repellers. The ThermoCell is one of the most effective. But these don't work if there's the slightest breeze, or if you're moving around much. When you stop moving, it takes time for a scent "shield" to develop around you, and the first breeze blows it away. I have one and it was nearly useless here since we rarely ever have calm air.

Oddly enough, when I was a vegetarian, mosquitos rarely bit me. They would still follow the CO2 in my breath and land on me, but rarely would one bite. I guess something in my diet made me smell like I wasn't food. I did eat an aweful lot of garlic, so that might have been it. I don't know for sure.

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it true that ticks can carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Tuleremia? Might be worth a mention if true.
Around here it is Lymes disease,someone out west maybe able to answer that,I have heard of Rocky Mountain Spotted fever,but don't know of any cases here in Indiana?

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I would suggest stocking up on insect repellant and other insecticides.

There are other natural remedies like basil and lemon grass to name a couple.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
The garlic actually does work.
When I go camping or on a fishing trip I will eat extra amounts of garlic for about a week prior. while others are getting bit the mosquitoes leave me alone for the most part.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My area is loaded with ticks. One walk around the property and you can be assured you have them. I prefer to walk in moccasins and shorts when I get back to the house I strip down and check my self with a mirror. The worst ones I get are in the middle of my shoulder blades where I can't reach. I have to remove them with a bayonet and 2 mirrors. I almost considered getting married again just to have someone to pull those buggers off my back!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
One other product to try is Tee Tree shampoo. This product when used in the mornings, seems to curtail the aggression of the mosquito. I've used it on myself, and my dog, it seems to work here in SW Wisconsin.
Earl

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
This might get a few laughs, but I had a problem with mosquitoes, so I took a different approach. I did round up anything that could provide a breeding place but there still seemed to be squadrons of mosquitoes . So I went the opposite direction. I PROVIDED them with a perfect breeding ground. A back yard gold fish pond. The six foot around pond provided enough enough surface area to allow for air exchange for the fish. It was about two feet deep at it's deepest , so it never froze solid in the Texas winter. Believe it or not, the fish survived just fine. They ate the algae that formed and because the water was not being aerated with a pump, the water surface was still, attracting mosquitoes to lay their eggs. The fish feasted on the larvae. I even ended up having some little tadpoles and frogs and dragon flies living there. The mosquitoes ceased being a problem. As for ticks, If I had my way, I'd call in a napalm airstrike! I hate ticks ! TP

·
Registered
89 Posts
I live in the deep woods, with lots of water around, but never have problems with skeeters. I have a resident flock of 50-60 hummingbirds that I feed, they take care of the skeeters.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Concerning ticks.

If you haven't seen it, you should all watch the documentary about Lyme disease called 'Under Our Skin'. If you have Netflix you can stream it. It's far worse than I ever knew. Really made me take the whole thing a LOT more seriously!

Oh ya, I'm one of those freaks of nature that can stand in a swarm of mosquitoes and find it to be a minor annoyance, while everyone else runs inside. :D:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,416 Posts
One other product to try is Tee Tree shampoo. This product when used in the mornings, seems to curtail the aggression of the mosquito. I've used it on myself, and my dog, it seems to work here in SW Wisconsin.
Earl
I've heard that about tea tree oil. I think neem is supposed to repel them also. I was using neem in my garden a couple years ago but never tried it for repelling mosquitos.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
simply add garlic to your diet and they will leave you alone period.
My dad's old dog would pick up ticks and I strarted feeding him minced garlic and he never had another on nor fleas again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts