Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Mule
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so it's come to North America and Europe. What precautions are you going to take? Which precautions do you think you would take if you were trying to survive in China?

Personally I'm going to avoid taking the bus//train until this thing calms down, and if I have to I'm going to wear an n95. I was considering a full respirator, but I can hide the n95 under a ski mask since it's winter, and at least not freak people out.

·
Mule
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just what we needed, ANOTHER thread on this. :rolleyes:
Yeah I get that it's kind of topic overload, but there are specific considerations, and levels of protection which might be warranted in a more urban area. Since I didn't see anything in the Urban Survival board I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread on urban survival of an outbreak.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
Yeah I get that it's kind of topic overload, but there are specific considerations, and levels of protection which might be warranted in a more urban area. Since I didn't see anything in the Urban Survival board I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread on urban survival of an outbreak.
So does every section need it's own thread on it? These are just a few I've found recently.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?p=20005628#post20005628

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=934168

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=935698

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=935780

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=935742

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=935740

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=935782

·
Registered
34,629 Posts
I'll stay out of urban areas.

I see the OP's point, but it's true about oversaturation.

Perhaps make it more generic.
Most preps would apply regardless of the threat.

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,087 Posts
I've got one of those laser heat testing guns.. Just go wherever you're going and point the red dot at anyone coming your way..

I've never been a beer drinker in my whole life.. Now, if it comes out as an Irish Whisky Virus, then I'm gonna be in trouble..

Kind of like if there was a Rosie O'Donnell Twinkie virus.

Maybe we should find a way to come up with some viruses that will do our country some good.

Examples would include things like:

Where'd the money go virus: Politicians that waste tons of money and have nothing to show for it.

Vaping WILL kill you: It's happening everywhere yet, more and more stores are opening every day to sell those things.

Celebrities that think they can control us and how we vote virus: Celebrities that say they'll move to Canada if certain Candidates are elected

Homeless don't really want to work virus: Give then small garden sheds and fix them up so they can live in them.. Then watch how fast they turn those camps into the same types of places they were living in on the streets. Want proof, check out the homeless village that closed in Seattle..

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,087 Posts
Just what we needed, ANOTHER thread on this. :rolleyes:
Have you read a lot of threads on this site?? Just look how many threads fall under "What gun should I buy??" or "What vehicle is best for bugging out?"

I guess if there was a way to search for key words, it would narrow down a LOT of repetitive threads but, I haven't found one on this site and many other sites I cruise from time to time..

·
Cat and parrot whisperer
1,233 Posts
Okay so it's come to North America and Europe. What precautions are you going to take? Which precautions do you think you would take if you were trying to survive in China?

Personally I'm going to avoid taking the bus//train until this thing calms down, and if I have to I'm going to wear an n95. I was considering a full respirator, but I can hide the n95 under a ski mask since it's winter, and at least not freak people out.
Well, since it seems to be as contagious as a regular flu, really the only way to ensure you're not exposed is to not leave home. So if you have a few months worth of food and water stocked up, good deal. If not, you'll have to go out in public and so you'll very likely end up getting it. By the time you hear it's in your city, you probably will have been exposed. So, I don't see any other way to avoid it.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Here are the current problems:
1. Nothing (meaningful) about the virus is published, so there is no way to judge the danger.
2. Wearing the N95 mask might improve someone's chances (or not!). I realize that most people must go to work and such. It also means that, if the crisis is real, WILL get infected. The big danger, I think, is to worry about what others would think or do (it is like not carrying an effective weapon under WROL because people can be considered one a threat).

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
On the problem of too many threads:
I think there some be one (this one?) designated
for solutions.

- This is how to know if you have it.
- This is your best course of action if you get it.
- Here is the latest news on vaccines or other medicines that work.

·
Swirl Herder
3,676 Posts
Preparedness is about layers.

The layers I would assess for the Coronavirus would be:

1) Trying not to get it - by modifying your behavior, using PPE where appropriate and mostly through self isolation. Conduct a risk assessment for any public contact - what are the risks and is this worth what I am going to get out of it?

2) Be prepared for the secondary effects: economic, social, failure of basic utilities, disruption of food supply, overwhelmed medical services, quarantine (local and wider), weakness or suspension of the ROL and irrational/opportunistic behaviors.

3) Be prepared for if/when you or a family member gets the Coronavirus: In home isolation (PPE again), treatment (fluids, fever control, anti-inflammatories), treatments for secondary infection (doxycycline, azithromycin, amoxcillin), decontamination, burial of any deceased.

4) Focus upon the fundamentals common to all serious/medium to long term crises: water, shelter, food, sanitation, 24/7 security, communications, remote sensing/intruder detection, clothing, medical, mobility, opsec, power (offgrid), maintenance, fabrication, patrolling.

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
Some considerations for an Urban lock-down scenario like Wuhan at the moment that has a disruption is services.

High quality trash bags.
High quality gloves.
High Quality Masks
High quality paper plates and plastic utensils.
High Quality batteries.
High Quality sanitizers and wipes.

All these things can be used in regular life as well as an emergency. Having el cheapo preps when you really need to rely on them is an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Is there any common foods that we buy in the grocery stores that comes from overseas?
I know Walmart is full of products from overseas should we be avoiding this stuff? Myself I try to buy American made but to do that I have to dig through Chinese crap to find it..

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Is there any common foods that we buy in the grocery stores that comes from overseas?
I know Walmart is full of products from overseas should we be avoiding this stuff? Myself I try to buy American made but to do that I have to dig through Chinese crap to find it..
Overseas is pretty broad, but some very easy examples are:
- bananas
- mangoes
- pineapples
- coffee
- tea
- chocolates
- spices

Fruits have little stickers that indicate country of origin.
Vegetables sometimes have a tie that shows it.
Lots of fish is farmed in other countries; usually that's on the label.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I read something interesting today...
A mention that cotton gloves (washable!)
would prevent your hands from touching doorknobs and such.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
Overseas is pretty broad, but some very easy examples are:
- bananas
- mangoes
- pineapples
- coffee
- tea
- chocolates
- spices

Fruits have little stickers that indicate country of origin.
Vegetables sometimes have a tie that shows it.
Lots of fish is farmed in other countries; usually that's on the label.
The majority of the fruits & veggies that aren't grown in the U.S. we get from the western hemisphere, especially places like Mexico, Central & South America.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts