Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hokie
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently read an article that I'm sure has already been posted on here before, but had some concerns I wanted addressed personally after reading it:

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/national-guard-whistleblower-doomsday-preppers-will-be-treated-as-terrorists_10252012

What I take from this is that the more I'm prepared, the bigger target I could be, to law enforcement / military when SHTF. Obviously bugging out before SHTF, or as quickly as possible after, is key to survival, and obviously one wants to avoid all contact with law enforcement in the event of forced searches / confiscations, but what measures can I take to prepare for this NOW? I hate the thought of losing my firearms and risk of possible internment during the chaos resulting from a disaster. Suggestions to help avoid these problems have been given in the past: avoid military-surplus-style supplies and civilian versions of military weapons when in public, but these represent the majority of my non-food/water supplies. The recurring fear that plays out in my head are military blockades of roadways (including backroads) that forcibly search cars and confiscate / detain those found with previously-legal supplies. There I am, bugging out to my pre-determined bug-out location, when first wind of a disaster reaches me: I have my SUV packed to the brim with food and supplies, family in stow, and a patrol stops me, takes all my weapons, and detains me preventing my family from escaping the chaos indefinitely. I know the obvious reply would be to store most of your supplies at the bug-out location, but doesn't one require weapons and supplies to reach the bug-out location? Please, ignore the obvious response that you should live permanently at your BOL, because for some of us that isn't possible (supplies cost money, and paying jobs aren't bountiful everywhere these days).

So what should I do about my supplies??

I can't keep my AR-15 and AK-47 + ammunition at my BOL (safety reasons), and I feel inclined to keep them on hand to protect my family and belongings in case of a complete societal meltdown. I'm tempted to sell all of my assault-style weapons and revert to lever-actions, etc. that won't draw as much attention, but this is easier said than done. It's fair to say that a large number of preppers on this board rely on these assault-style weapons as well, so what are your concerns?? Do you share mine as well? I want to have the best security possible in my journey and thereafter, so I'm walking the precarious balance between substantial security and avoiding looking conspicuous. Stowing my weapons out of view in my SUV is easy, but wouldn't pass a search of the vehicle.

Please help me figure out a solid plan to nullify these concerns. It's something I think about a lot, and makes me doubt the effectiveness of prepping at all, if you don't live at a BOL (or, worse yet, suggests that bugging-in is the only option - even if that means you remain in range of possible targets)

·
Backyard Shooter
27 Posts
I know the obvious reply would be to store most of your supplies at the bug-out location, but doesn't one require weapons and supplies to reach the bug-out location?
Also, in response to this part specifically, you don't need ALL of your weapons and supplies to reach the location do you? Find a really good hiding place for a weapon in your SUV and then keep the rest at your BOL. If you get stopped and they do find your weapon at least its not all of them. If they detain you, having your weapons in your SUV wont help you either way. At least if they take one gun you still have a chance to make it to your BOL at a later time.

Keep a few days supply of food and water in your SUV and keep the rest at your BOL. If you can't make it to your BOL in that time you may need to rethink the location and find something closer if possible.

I'm not dismissing your concerns because it's a very scary situation to be in. But it's not realistic to keep EVERYTHING in your SUV either...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Suggestions to help avoid these problems have been given in the past: avoid military-surplus-style supplies and civilian versions of military weapons when in public, but these represent the majority of my non-food/water supplies.
When are people seeing your guns at all? Carry them in cases, preferably inconspicuous ones. (Guitars are longer than AR's...)

I know the obvious reply would be to store most of your supplies at the bug-out location, but doesn't one require weapons and supplies to reach the bug-out location? Please, ignore the obvious response that you should live permanently at your BOL, because for some of us that isn't possible (supplies cost money, and paying jobs aren't bountiful everywhere these days).

So what should I do about my supplies??
Honestly,during your bugout, you should only be carrying enough supplies and gunnery to do the journey, with plus just enough extra to allow for forced detours or a forced revision of the plan.
If you're planning on taking multiple long-guns per person in the vehicle during the bugout, that's too much redundancy.

Stash some at the BoL. Keep some at your house.

If all your food and water will fit in the vehicle, it probably isn't enough. Stash some at the BoL, some at your house.

If your BoL isn't secure enough to store (some of your..) firearms and food now, it's not going to be your BoL after the event. It might be someone else's.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The Nat Guard / LEO / military is not going to view any preppers as terrorists. The whole soldier X thing is a pile of crap from beginning to end, and the only good thing to come from it is that you can identify who NOT to listen to.

The people who think there's any legitimacy to the Nat Guard coming after terrorists are now people you can set on "ignore" -- makes your life less complicated because you have reduced the number of morons to which you are exposed.

Of course you don't want to advertise anything about yourself and everyone knows that the nail which sticks up gets hammered down -- that's plain old common sense.

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
That is okay, Obama says there aren't any terrorists.

What those punk-nazis-douchebags think about me is not something I really care about.

21,428 Posts
Start looking at how refugees from countries with real problems managed. That is what you want to prep for if you are bugging out.

And yes you will be treated like a second class citizen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts