Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In response to a recent post ref mob mentality of survivalists.

This is a link for a definition of a mob.

http://dictionary.die.net/mob

What is a survivalist?

Quote:

A survivalist is a person who anticipates a potential disruption in the continuity of local, regional or worldwide society, and takes steps to survive in the resulting unpredictable situation.’………..

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/22016

There is a growing movement of global survivalists, in these times.
Granted, in the past, we have been branded a lot of different names, anti social, subversive, fringe looneys and etc.

I suggest to any critics, instead of looking at one pixel of the bigger picture regarding survivalists and current events, the reasons, motivations of survivalists and the growing community, look at the big picture before labelling us with "mob mentality"

We are not a mob, we are a community on a global scale.

The only mob mentality you will see, we will see, is a community who has not prepared to survive what ever scenario.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
I am a prepper, because I am a prepper, I am also a survivalist. The looney left has always branded People like me with different names. Its because they fear (and envy) those that are willing and able to take a stand and be true to their beliefs, regardless of the cost for doing so. I can not tolerate those that change faces to fit in with those around them. I don't like the goverment or its policies. I get laughed at, I get called names but it doesn't change the way I believe. Stay true to who you are, you'll be around when others won't.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
I am a prepper, because I am a prepper, I am also a survivalist. The looney left has always branded People like me with different names. Its because they fear (and envy) those that are willing and able to take a stand and be true to their beliefs, regardless of the cost for doing so. I can not tolerate those that change faces to fit in with those around them. I don't like the goverment or its policies. I get laughed at, I get called names but it doesn't change the way I believe. Stay true to who you are, you'll be around when others won't.

True to a point.........but the concept of camoflage is a sound one. You don't have to become like those who surround you, but at times it's best to disguise yourself in certain situations so as not to stand out. You don't want to make yourself a target..

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Didnt they call Noah a nut?

Why is your crazy if you prepare for what we think is nessesary but make us carry insurance for a cars?????? Why is it only prudent if they like it? History is filled with those who survive. We have to dig up those who didnt prepare later and see how they lived. Becasue let me say this non PC like. They died or were killed by those who had what was needed to survive.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
The fringe connotation may have come up for a number of reasons:

* Stereotype: survivalism = guns, bunkers, tax resistors, crisis cults, supremacists.
* Over-compensator psychology. You don't need 2-3 guns, you need a dozen. You don't need a couple hundred rounds, you need a couple hundred thousand...
* Paranoid schizophrenic personality trait -- the stereotype is that the survivalist isn't merely prudently preparing, but that he's afraid in general. And not just about the future, economy, TSHTF, etc. but about all things, and change in general.
* A change in our broader society. Probably all rural people in America a hundred years ago would be survivalists by modern standards. Far more self-sufficient, supplemented a portion of their own pantries by gardening/hunting/fishing, canned/stockpiled supplies in cellars, etc. They were forced by necessity to prepare for winters, impassable roads, etc. So as the nanny aspect of our society grew, anyone who kept the old ways -- or resisted nannying -- would be seen as some nutjob.

Of course we know it's wrong. The #1 prime directive of every member of the animal kingdom is preservation of self & family. #2 is perpetuation of the species.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Prior to purchasing food you grew or scavenged your own; the ascent of mankind was acheived by prepping for the hard times during times of plenty.

However; putting away food for the lean times made you a target of vandals.

Thus, I might also note that the ascent of mankind was acheived by raiding other tribes that were more sucessful in prepping for lean times.

Hence "survival" and prepping require defense...

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,656 Posts

* Stereotype: survivalism = guns, bunkers, tax resistors, crisis cults, supremacists.

* A change in our broader society. Probably all rural people in America a hundred years ago would be survivalists by modern standards. Far more self-sufficient, supplemented a portion of their own pantries by gardening/hunting/fishing, canned/stockpiled supplies in cellars, etc. They were forced by necessity to prepare for winters, impassable roads, etc. So as the nanny aspect of our society grew, anyone who kept the old ways -- or resisted nannying -- would be seen as some nutjob.

Of course we know it's wrong. The #1 prime directive of every member of the animal kingdom is preservation of self & family. #2 is perpetuation of the species.
Thank you Mr. Spock.
Even though I have a bunker - I like to call underground cabin - it has many uses. Such as storm shelter, storage area, root cellar, quiet area, bullet and grenade proof bunker (just in case) and dugout similar although nicer than those 100 plus years ago had.

I like the old ways and think pioneers and my grandparents and much further back were survivalists. I hope to preserve some of the old ways by stashing valuable books (I have 100 plus books on microfiche with a micro reader - which should last 100 years) on old, helpful knowledge and Hope they will be useful in the future especially if ShTF and/or TEOTWAWKI happens.

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
2 trek

* Over-compensator psychology. You don't need 2-3 guns, you need a dozen. You don't need a couple hundred rounds, you need a couple hundred thousand... Yes sir, that is correct, self defense is best accomplished in the collective, so for twelve households i need 12 PDW. I may need the cartridges for trade, hunting or self defense, but a lifetime supply may save me future cost increases

The #1 prime directive of every member of the animal kingdom is preservation of self & family. #2 is perpetuation of the species.
Dude your getting a lil Trekkie weird, IT"S a TV SHOW! (that's fiction)

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
Prior to purchasing food you grew or scavenged your own; the ascent of mankind was acheived by prepping for the hard times during times of plenty.

Thus, I might also note that the ascent of mankind was acheived by raiding other tribes that were more sucessful in prepping for lean times.

Well stated.
This was the cycle for thousands of years.
Stock to the cycles of the seasons.
Was perfectly normal and still is.
The negative connotations come from folks with a deep seated fear.

Here is their typical logic path:

If preparations, stocks, defenses are needed then there must be something to prepare for or defend against, if there is something to prepare for or defend against then the world is not the safe, tame and under control world that I believe it is.

Discredit the preparer and the defender you are defacto discrediting the under lying reason for them.

This, is the logic of sheep.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
From personal experience, I suspect the first defenses to be erected in resource-rich and low population density areas were around small garden plots. To keep out deer, rabbits and kids from eating/trampling young plants, crops, etc.

But much more important than defense, I think, is ability to blend-in and hide wealth, preps, etc. If you go around dressed for combat, openly displaying wealth/paranoia, etc. you'll surely find trouble. Don't advertise trouble to anyone. Need-to-know basis, and nobody outside of family or one's closest friends really needs to know what you have, where it is, etc.

·
Who Watches the Watchmen?
7,204 Posts
But much more important than defense, I think, is ability to blend-in and hide wealth, preps, etc. If you go around dressed for combat, openly displaying wealth/paranoia, etc. you'll surely find trouble. Don't advertise trouble to anyone. Need-to-know basis, and nobody outside of family or one's closest friends really needs to know what you have, where it is, etc.

In some cases i disagree with your blending and hiding. In times of upheval they ones that look powerful are respected and feared. Lets take a ancient civilization *the romans* if you saw the romans coming would u fight them or be the one hiding ? ( And back then they didnt have guns or very good training to counteract the romans might) Me i woulda ran or went with them for protection..

So if i had a group of other survivalists post SHTF i would want them to definatly be intimidating and look like they wouldnt be worth the trouble figthing lol

but sometimes hiding is ok justwanted to make a point.

my 2 cents.

·
Talk To The Hand
658 Posts
I'm so sick of the rolling eyes from family and friends that I have adopted the CIA approach (the "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" one). No discussion of my guns, preps or economic predictions (right on the money for the past six years). N-o-t-h-i-n-g!!

I once offered an eye-roller a place to stay when the SHTF (too many beers). Thankfully they don't know where I live and caller ID will keep me from anwering the call if it ever comes.

Eff `em all.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blending in to an impoverished population, when you look reasonably healthy, well fed, clothed, fit and organised is going to be a bit of a problem.

It will be noticed, and like waving a red flag at a bull for some.

Just a thought, when you don't want to draw too much attention.

Any ideas?

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Good points, but think of the Battle of the Teutoberg Forest under Hermann der Cherusker otherwise known as Arminius: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Teutoburg_Forest. It was the German tribesmen who knew the land, laid ambush, etc. and prevented the Roman Empire from expanding any further northward. Ultimately, it's not so much respect and fear than simply winning. :D:

It's been awhile since I've read my Sun Tzu, but tacticians pretty much universally agree that if you can pick the time/place of the battle, and retain the element of surprise, that the odds swing greatly in your favor.

I also tend to think of the American Revolution. It's often been characterized as a subversive/freedom-fighter movement ('terrorism' from the perspective of the British Empire, no doubt) that ultimately won because it had the hometeam advantage, didn't march in brightly colored uniforms, easy pickings, etc. You couldn't really tell, on sight, who was a loyalist and who was not...

In some cases i disagree with your blending and hiding. In times of upheval they ones that look powerful are respected and feared. Lets take a ancient civilization *the romans* if you saw the romans coming would u fight them or be the one hiding ? ( And back then they didnt have guns or very good training to counteract the romans might) Me i woulda ran or went with them for protection..

So if i had a group of other survivalists post SHTF i would want them to definatly be intimidating and look like they wouldnt be worth the trouble figthing lol

but sometimes hiding is ok justwanted to make a point.

my 2 cents.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Those that think you're crazy and call you names will be the first asking you for your supplies if the balloon ever goes up. The name they'll be calling you then is "sir."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts