Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ready To Go At Any Time
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I take a lot of over the counter sleep aids. It's the only way for me to sleep. I hate it. I can only sleep with the aide of something like benedryl or 2 tylenol PM (minus the tylenol. Sleep PM) or a double dose of unisom, or something like that.
No matter HOW medicated I am I can not fall asleep unless I'm wearing ear plugs.

Well tonight I ran out of everything I have. I scoured the cabinets and not a thing anywhere. I finally remembered one of my bugout bags i nthe garage had tylenol PM in it and I dug it out.

BUT...... provided there are no pharmacies for people like me...... what are ways to get to sleep?
My doctor doesn't seem interested in getting to the bottom of this problem as he told me benedryl is my best bet (even without trying prescription sleep meds..... lame). So what can I do that should make me sleep?
I never get good sleep. I want HARD sleep that will make me feel rested.
Any ideas or suggestions? I've tried everything I can find so I'm very frustrated.

Help me guys..... help me.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I've always had trouble getting to sleep, but nowhere near like your situation.

What always (usually anyway) works for me, is that I go to the gym (won't let me run but used to do that) late, like after supper, then read or get on the board here, for a bit.

The experts say that exercising late will keep you awake, but not in my case.

I still don't sleep soundly, till around 3 or 4.

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Seriously, try a shot or two of Southern Comfort about a half hour before you lay down. It's always worked for me. In fact, I should probably give it a go tomorrow. I just went on Chantix to quit smoking and it's giving me wicked insomnia.

Reactions: Farm boy

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
or three or four ---------

better yet google and load up a Lieberman speech ---- that otta do it

·
Registered
372 Posts
new matress/bedding/pillow

sex/excercise (perferably both) about an hour before bed

take a hot shower/bath, which ever is more relaxing

turn the tv off at least 30 minutes before bed. let your brain become unstimulated and relax. Give it a chance to unwind. Get you some brain candy and read a book. Although try to avoid books which may get you all worked up. If I read do it yourself type of books I often times get all excited a nd want to go do what I just learned about and my brain races for hours coming up with ideas and plans.

also consider your dietary habits. If you are now, try to not eat to close to bed time, certain foods of course can get your body revved up, especially late night snacks with alot of salt or sugar. Try a relaxing hot cup of tea instead possibly.

And by all means, if your able to do so, enjoy a shot or two before you hit the sack and see how that works.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Sounds like you need to have your doctor do a sleep study on you. I suffered with restless sleep for years before I got diagnosed with sleep apnea.

See if that doesn't help. You have my sympathies, guy. :(

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
canip and chammomile tea are good for a herb tea which you can find in the wild .hope i helped

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
ive had a bad case of insomnia since friday. ive been dead on my feet for days, but only got a really good night's sleep last night- I think its some mild form of PTSD or something

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
tnrick55,
Have recently started to use chammomile tea, has certainly worked and it is a better quality of sleep.
The severity of sleeping disorders and underlying factors vary with each who suffer this.
Perhaps if it very severe and no remedy seems to be working, there are sleep clinics and medicos who might be able to access and help your particular sleep problem.
Hopefully without the use of OTC or prescription drugs.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
One thing is, do you drink coffee or other caffienated beverages, like coke or pepsi daily? If so, cut them out. This worked for a friend of mine who was having the same issue.

I've also heard from a reputable source, though it sounds stupid, that warm milk seems to work, after a hot shower even better.

Another thing you can try...though it's kinda "meditation-like"...is when you lay down, visualize completely relaxing every muscle, and every body part. Start with your eyes, then cheeks and jaws, neck, so on, from head to toe.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
I was going to say Valerian too. Also try getting rid of any caffeine in your diet - Coke, Tea, Coffee etc.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
I've suffered this for over 12 years. It's doing a great job correcting itself.
Nightwing, are you a worrier? Do you stress out easily? That is what plagues my brother-in-law. He used to get a really good night's sleep, until about a year ago when he ran across hard times. (like us all)
He never sleeps in bed anymore- he's found comfort in a recliner with his feet up. We're all trying to help him- but this baffles the family.

I know you have a highly developed sense of humor....because I read your posts. This shows you have a higher IQ, and more brain activity than most. (studies have shown)
We've suggested everything from taking up running in the A.M. to drinking room temperature milk at 9 P.M.
So far- nothing. You might want to take the advice of an above mentioned post (Brimasmom) and seek a doctor's sleep study. This seems reasonable...and hopefully, they can unlock something somewhere you haven't thought of yet.

You're not online here and it's after 11P.M. I pray that you're asleep my friend.:sleep:

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Self correcting problem? Like, "Sooner or later you get tired enough to sleep well"? I'm not going to say anything before I know what you really mean.

Nightwing, do you know the nature of your sleep problem? People tend to think a problem with sleeping has to be classic insomnia or worrying, but that isn't always the case.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts