Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Human
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:I would like to discuss the feverish amounts of products being purchased by preppers from foriegn countries. Shouldn't a survivalist, preparing to survive on a homestead residing in the US, do all he or she can to support the US? I watched several youtube "prep" videos last night from this site, and was disturbed by the amount of chinese/pakistani products being used.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I try to buy american when possible however sometimes an american product isn't available or it's foreign made but assembled in america which in some cases means nothing more than the products in shipped in bulk to the USA and packaged for sale here.

Remember back when Wal-mart used to tout "made in america"

·
Troublesome.
1,333 Posts
:confused:I would like to discuss the feverish amounts of products being purchased by preppers from foriegn countries. Shouldn't a survivalist, preparing to survive on a homestead residing in the US, do all he or she can to support the US? I watched several youtube "prep" videos last night from this site, and was disturbed by the amount of chinese/pakistani products being used.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I see your point and I tend to agree with it. But you gotta keep in mind what these folks are actually doing.

They are investing in cheap junk for the purpose of survival.

Now, I have to admit that I am not a psychologist . . or anything like that, but it dang sure seems to indicate to me that these folks have their priorities seriously screwed up.

I'm not faulting them for that - it is their option. Just observing that not long after the poo hits the fan, there will be a lot less people around. I see that as a good thing in terms of MY survival. :cool:

·
Human
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that there are several situations in which pricing outweighs the "made in the usa" label , but this is the minority if we just take the time to read a few tags and labels.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have came to learn that some things I will not buy from over seas and some I will. Example: tent, backpack,boots, knifed etc.. All of the things that I depend on the most are made here. Yes it's a little more pricey but they always come with a great warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about us non-USA residents? Quite a bit of American made equipment doesn't handle harsh Scandinavian weather that well, and I prefer Scandinavian-made knives infront of any other knives.

But that's just me, and I go with what works for me. So should everyone else. I got quite a bit of american gear, too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I see your point and I tend to agree with it. But you gotta keep in mind what these folks are actually doing.

They are investing in cheap junk for the purpose of survival.

Now, I have to admit that I am not a psychologist . . or anything like that, but it dang sure seems to indicate to me that these folks have their priorities seriously screwed up.

I'm not faulting them for that - it is their option. Just observing that not long after the poo hits the fan, there will be a lot less people around. I see that as a good thing in terms of MY survival. :cool:

because everything made in america is top notch quality.

If I want something I will do research and find the BEST solution that fits my budget not sit there and say oh this knife is really awesome but oh it was made in Japan so I have to chose the inferior American knife that felt like crap.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Also, maybe people who just joined the board should be careful criticising?
Let me get this straight, people who are new to a free online forum on the anonymous internet should keep their comments to themselves and show respect to older more experienced forum writers who are also hiding through the anonymous internet.

I will sum up how I feel about that. SIT ON IT AND SPIN
Say what you want, write what you want and read what you want.
I will not be controlled by couch potato warriors.

·
Human
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
because everything made in america is top notch quality.

If I want something I will do research and find the BEST solution that fits my budget not sit there and say oh this knife is really awesome but oh it was made in Japan so I have to chose the inferior American knife that felt like crap.
I'm not saying everything, just a good portion. Look at how much you spent on Scandinavian knives versus how much you spent on Groceries in a year. Being particular about where your food is produced makes 100 times the impact versus a single peice of gear.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Why exactly is that senator? Should us Freshman just bow our heads in agreement with the establishment?
Because said Freshman typically have not thought through thier wild internet statements, then come on these boards and attack the people who have been about this for a while.

Your original post is all of a whopping three sentences and lacks any substance.

No links references to said youtube videos.
No "they talk about X product from China when Y product is available and made in USA." type of examples.

No data. No information. Nothing other than bashing the posters on the board.

·
Human
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I figure making a broad general statement is better than criticizing individual members. That would be crass. Did you feel personally attacked by my three sentences? Did I elicit an emotion from you that makes you rethink a purchase subconciously a year from now? If yes, then I think I made a worthwhile contribution to the forum. Though you are free to disagree.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
Why exactly is that senator? Should us Freshman just bow our heads in agreement with the establishment?
Coming to a new site and being a troll are generally frowned upon most places. Do what you want to though.

It is odd that you just joined and start in with a thread like this and then immediately become defensive. You can find many threads on this topic. I'm sure it is no accident.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts