Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa

The bomb squad and police conducted an investigation Tuesday in Conshohocken at the Millennium Riverwalk Complex, which was the scene of a major fire last summer.

Police responded to an 11:30 a.m. report of a possible explosive device found in apartment building 4000 and remained at the complex for several hours.

Montgomery County authorities later said they recovered several weapons -- all of which are believed to be legally owned -- as well as other items from an apartment that was left uninhabitable by the August blaze and the presence of mold.

The items removed from the apartment belonged to a man described as a survivalist who was never allowed to return to the residence. He was said to be cooperating with the police investigation, Fox 29's Joyce Evans reported from the scene.

Investigators were taking the items -- including about 50 containers of rice -- to a crime lab to ensure that there was nothing illegal there, and that process was expected to take several days.

After arriving at the scene Tuesday morning, the Montgomery County Sheriff's Department Bomb Disposal Unit first X-rayed a black bag found near the complex entrance. It was found to have nothing inside.

Police then searched inside of the building and said, based on what they found inside, they felt further investigation was warranted.

The apartment complex told residents that a security company noticed a box of ammunition in the building, prompting the call to police.
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7643319&version=8&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

So there was no bomb, but reason to investigate further. The story seems odd; was the man not allowed to return to the appartment because of the report/raid, or because of failure to pay dues? Seems he would have had the chance to move out his stuff were it the latter. The "mold" reason seems odd; with the rice and guns so intact the fire obviously didn't envelop the said building so why couldn't he/professionals retrieve his belongings soon afterward (last year)? Odd story in general, any local people hear what became of the legality of the rice/"other items"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
As someone with some law enforcement experience, I would also investigate it further. I believe the article said that he was not allowed to return to the apartment because of damage from the fire, and mold.

So, the guy isnt allowed to be there, he has a stock pile of guns and food, and "other items" I would look into it. It will be interesting to hear what exactly happened to all of his things though.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
even if it is a scene of a crime and the police doint want it disturbed after this lenght of time you should beable to get your stuff out. sounds like the security guard was looking for stuff to take ,and ran into the ammo box im sure it wasint setting on someones coffee table more than likely it was in a closet.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
so he was squatting in his own damaged house?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am fine if the police investigate it, but if nothing is found he should get his items back. But, we all know how the government, local and national, works. They will make him pay an enormous storage fee and if he doesn't pay they will keep the guns. Will probably end up in some cops gun safe.

Kinda like the pawn shop owner that was raided a few years ago. The cops were caught on camera deciding which guns they were going to keep for themselves.

·
22,122 Posts
yeah thats been known to happen. When HPD confiscated that MAC 10 from the truck at the school i was working at said something to the effect that if it wasnt in such cruddy condition he might have considered nabbing it after it was cleared from evidence.

·
Registered
880 Posts
This story should be tied into the question about if they came for your guns "From My Cold Dead Fingers"...

If all they see is an ammo box or some bags of rice ~ talk about illegal search & seizure.

Pretty soon we'll all have to fight our own government to the death or have hidden homes...

·
22,122 Posts
i think you're more right than you know

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
it does seem very odd to me. i definitely think more is going on than is being let onto. or maybe they think he is a home grown terrorist i dunno. possible bomb threat, stock pile of weapons, large quantities of food stored, large quantity of ammo.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I can see the authorities securing weapons; the story said they were legally owned, implying that he will get them back. Remember the story is a written piece, and reporters don't ALWAYS have facts straight...for instance, it irks me to no end when reporters constantly call firefighters' SCBA packs "oxygen tanks"...it's just out of ignorance. Now the rice...when doing a fire investigation, 50 containers of ANYTHING raises a red flag. I too would have the containers of rice analyzed. Remember, most people do not have the mindset of stockpiling food, and if these were repackaged containers (can you say 5 gal buckets with mylar liners?!?!), it wouldn't be crazy to be suspicious of their contents. The guy is cooperating; he'll get his guns back and move on.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I can see the authorities securing weapons; the story said they were legally owned, implying that he will get them back. Remember the story is a written piece, and reporters don't ALWAYS have facts straight...for instance, it irks me to no end when reporters constantly call firefighters' SCBA packs "oxygen tanks"...it's just out of ignorance. Now the rice...when doing a fire investigation, 50 containers of ANYTHING raises a red flag. I too would have the containers of rice analyzed. Remember, most people do not have the mindset of stockpiling food, and if these were repackaged containers (can you say 5 gal buckets with mylar liners?!?!), it wouldn't be crazy to be suspicious of their contents. The guy is cooperating; he'll get his guns back and move on.
they are most likely going to open all the containers to verify their contents, thus sabotaging their storage and possibly the contents. I seriously doubt he will be compensated for the materials/effort properly, if at all.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Guns that have been through a fire ending up in a cop's personal gun safe? Get real!! Those guns were probably rusted out hulks whose steel temper had been ruined by water and heat. There isn't that much gun cleaning in the world that can bring guns that have been through intense fires and rusted after days and weeks in a watery mess. You'd sooner dig up a Civil War relic right now, dust it off, load it and then fire it before a gun from a fire.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
they are most likely going to open all the containers to verify their contents, thus sabotaging their storage and possibly the contents. I seriously doubt he will be compensated for the materials/effort properly, if at all.
sh*t happens when ya have a structure fire...not sure I would want to save food that has "survived" a structure fire. They never really said what kind of containers (burlap? repacked airtight? paper?) Point is, fires produce some really nasty toxins during combustion of today's everyday and construction synthetics. Water damage? Who knows. If it were me, I'd be pissed, but glad I didn't burn...glad my guns didn't burn...suck it up and restock.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
As someone with some law enforcement experience, I would also investigate it further. I believe the article said that he was not allowed to return to the apartment because of damage from the fire, and mold.

So, the guy isnt allowed to be there, he has a stock pile of guns and food, and "other items" I would look into it. It will be interesting to hear what exactly happened to all of his things though.
What would be your reasonable and articulateable suspicion?

·
22,122 Posts
good to have a pyro on our forum... *salute*

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi folks,

(I live in the general vicinity, across the river). Just to shed a little more light on the situation: What happened was that the fire occurred mid afternoon, before evening rush hour. A construction area caught on fire, and tha blaze was so hot it spread to the buildings at issue in the article. To compound the problem, there seemed to be some delay in the fire department getting there. (nothing serious, but enough to make a difference in the extent of damage).

Most of the residents were at work, and by the time they got back there were strict controls over who could go where, and although they did bus in some people to salvage a few things, by and large most people were not permitted back in. They locked it down pretty good from what I understand. A few of the buildings were simply so hazardous that they started raizing them to te ground in short order. There was a bit of chaos for some of the residents to even get assistance with their pes, etc. You can probably still check out the community meeting about this on youtube.

So that guy probably was working during the day and couldn't get back in to retrieve his things.

Hope that adds a bit to the context of this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts