Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I asked the people on the SurvivalistBoards facebook page what rifle calibers they hunt with. I made sure to specify what calibers they currently own and use, and not what calibers they plan on buying.

The purpose of the question was to generate a survey of calibers that people are currently using.

For my area, its the 30-30, 308 and 280. Available game are hogs and whitetail deer. Longest shot is going to be around 125 yards. If you are on a pipeline or highline, shots might get out to the 200 yard mark. The rolling hills and thick timber stop the shots from being too long.

Some of the answers I received:

‎.243 Winchester

12 gauge, use it for everything from pheasant and ducks to Deer and bear. I hunting mostly swampy areas so no long shots.

.270 east Texas... hogs, deer, coyotes, 130gr Winchester ballistic tip nosler. stops them in their tracks with minimal meat loss.

.308 Winchester

5.56mm

30-06

.308 BLR. If I was to use something else it would probably be a .30-30.

I take 2 Rifles to Camp with me. Marlin 30-30 for the woods, and 7 mm mag for the fields. Also gonna try my luck @ Black Powder season this year Dec. 17th ~ 27th here in Mo. Thats a pick of a rub I found a cpl weeks back as profile pic.

7.52x54R, or 12g depending on area.

30.06 but after the SHTF my 7.62x39 will do since it is basically a 30.30

‎30/30, its an 1899 Marlin that was my Grandfather's and it has taken a lot of deer over the years, but not many with me. I also use a Remington 550I in .22 a lot, but not for deer, just squirrels, bunnies and varmints.

My go-to round for anything with two or four legs is the 175gr Sierra Match King chambered in 7.62x51 (.308).

.44 Magnum Handgun Deer and Black Bear.. .22 Browning handgun for small game.

‎308 & 7.62x54. Middle Tennessee area.

Savage over / under model 24 ... 30/30 12 gauge no 1 buck 24 -30 cal pellets

8mm

‎.357 magnum Ruger 77 carbine. 180gr. bullets.

30-06, 30-30, and 7mm. Bought a 300wm for long range shots, but built it too heavy to walk it! Will hit a man a deer at 600 all day long though! My normal for big game is 30-06 but I love dear hunting with my Marlin 30-30 lever action.

7mm

.303 Brit. For mid MI and farther N. South of Mid MI I use 12g 3" buck and or slug. Small game .22 lr Most of my hunting shots are under 100yds. do to trees.

M6 scout 22 lr/410+ 20 gauge 3 inch/222 Remington + MS carbine .in 3006. they covers all my needs , but i have a husky 6,5x55 and brno in 375 HH too.

‎6.5X55 Swede for deer and smaller and 9.3X62 for everything else.

Remington 700 in .308, Remington auto74 in 30-06 comes as a back up (glad I had it lady weekend as the wind blew over my 700 and bumped the scope off). Also have a Rossi 94 levergun for bunnies, varmints and walking the brush. Hunt central Texas on the Edwards Plateau. Shots from 30 yards to 350.

Observations

As I suspected, the 30-30, 308 and 30-06 are mentioned several times. Over the course of the past 100 years, the 30-30 has probably killed more deer then anyone will ever know. After World War 1 and world War II, the returning veterans bought he same caliber rifle they had used in the war, and that was the 30-06. The 308 is a great preforming caliber on deer sized game. So its no surprise that 3 calibers lead the list.

One thing I was a little surprised at was the number of people using pistol calibers, such as the 357 and 44 magnum.

The 223 / 5.56mm and the 7.62x39 are only mentioned a couple of times. This brings up the question of people hunting after SHTF / teotwawki with a rifle cartridge that they have not proven. Wouldn't it be better to hunt with a caliber that you "know" is a proven performer, instead of a caliber that you have never used?

270 and 280 are mentioned a couple of times, which really surprised me. The 270 and 280 are both great preforming calibers that are effective on deer and hog sized game. Ammunition for the 280/7mm express can be a little difficult to find, the ammunition for the 270 is usually easy to find.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I was the one who answered the 7mm. It would be my main rifle until out of ammo. I am very comfortable with it. I have a good supply and add more when I can. One bullet at a time will last me a while. :) I bought this Browning A-Bolt not too long out of high school to be my main deer rifle with hopes of someday going elk hunting though that hasn't happened yet. :-(

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was the one who answered the 7mm.
I was wondering about that 7mm, is that a 284 winchester, 280/7mm express, 7mm shooting times winchester, 7mmx08, 7mm magnum,,, or something else?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I saw it on face book but didnt awnser. My main deer gun is my 30-30 then my 30-06 if i have to shoot distance. The oldlady uses a 270 and my son shoots my AR 5.56. All have taken deer the Ar had killed more and bigger deer the the oldladys 270. So i would trush the 5.56or 223 after shtf for deer hunting and such.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,113 Posts
My main deer rifle today is a 270 win.
I also have carried a 308 and a 25-06.
If some else would carry the damn heavy beast, I own a 7mm STW that out shoots them both.
But I were forced to try and live for months in the forest, with only what I could carry in a single backpack, I would carry my single shot 30-30 and reloading gear.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
RUGER # 1 in 45-70 i bought it back in the late 70,s i would never part with this rifle. And a REMINGTON model 742 which was my dads cal 300 savage rare cal for that model rifle.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Sorry I didnt see your post the first time. If you are still collecting info I have used the following over the last say 10 or 15 yrs. I am in Southeast Kansas.

.50 black powder hawken percussion for 1 deer
7mm mag for 1 deer
.303 Brit for 2 deer
30 06 for 4 deer
.308 for 2 deer
7.62x39 for 2 deer a couple of cows and lots of pigs
5.56x45 for lots of coyote and ferral dogs a couple of pigs
.30 carbine for coyote and ferral dogs
12gauge 3inch for lots of turkeys and snakes
.22lr for rabbit, squirrel, racoon, and carp
9mm for cows and even more pigs than the russian 7.62

(with the polynesian influence in my family we kill the fatted porker for feasts about every holiday weddings big birthdays and any time someones hat falls off)

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
In my state we are only allowed to hunt with shotguns or handgun calibers like 357. I know this year for the first time the DNR started having the conversation to allow rifle hunts in the state, but so far it is still shotguns.

I have hunted elsewhere with the 30-30 and I really like it. I haven't tried any other calibers, but would like to try 308 and 30-06 at some point.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
In my state we are only allowed to hunt with shotguns or handgun calibers like 357. I know this year for the first time the DNR started having the conversation to allow rifle hunts in the state, but so far it is still shotguns.

I have hunted elsewhere with the 30-30 and I really like it. I haven't tried any other calibers, but would like to try 308 and 30-06 at some point.
Thats probably why it will be difficult to come to get a good base. Its all about shot placement.If your stealthy enough and knowledgeable enough to stalk your prey you can get within a few yards and a shot gun and hand gun will take care of it. Heck now that I think of it a spear will do the job.:D:

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
Thats probably why it will be difficult to come to get a good base. Its all about shot placement.If your stealthy enough and knowledgeable enough to stalk your prey you can get within a few yards and a shot gun and hand gun will take care of it. Heck now that I think of it a spear will do the job.
Actually shotguns aren't a bad way to go. Not nearly as good as a high caliber rifle, but not terrible. I use a Remington 870 20 gauge with a rifled barrel and sabot slugs. I have it tapped with a scope, 3x9x40 Leupold scope. Using this gun I can drop a deer at 80 yards, which I realize is not even close to a good rifle, but not bad for a shotgun. I have friends who claim to have dropped them as far as 100 yards. I have never tried a shot that far with a shotgun. I would afraid of wounding the animal, but not downing it.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I was one of the 30-06 guys. As long as the laws stay how they are and the country limps along Ill continue to use the 30-06.

This year however both my wife and I got our deer(two bucks and two does) with our Crossbows. And I am happy to have not had to gun hunt this season.

As for after a society breakdown or apocalypse only the crossbows and the .22 rim fire will be used in our hunting of all game including deer. I am sure you saw the deer head test and shot placement , penetration etc. Ill not waste defense ammo on hunting. Crossbow and .22. .

I just cant afford to buy enough center fire cartridges to make me feel safe. My .223 is purely defense even now. The 30-06 Ill hoard and keep it for perimeter defense. Ill hunt with that Marlin 981T . KF

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Also I would think that a .22, 12ga, or hand gun would be preferred over other rifle calibers (for me) , since they are not as loud as the high power rifles and will draw less attention.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Kev, if you are running something in .30-06, you can get a chamber adapter to allow use of .308 in it, one for 7.62x39, another for .30-30, and a set for .32 ACP and 7.62x25. It is a versatile way to use a considerable range of ammunition.
or after you shoot your 06 brass up you can cut it down and use a forming die and just make it a 308 or 8mm mauser case gives more life to the brass as the 06 is the same dimensions as the 8mm mauser and the 308

only difference is length

·
trapper
1,781 Posts
I used a 742 30-06 intil the firing pin broke then went to a savage 110 in 30-06 (has a bull barrel) not fun carrying through the swamp. but eventually went back to a 300 savage, I've killed more deer with that rifle than CWD. but for survival....30-06, 7.62x39, 5.56. 22 hornet,22lr, 30 carbine 12ga... the 06 is good for 100yds out, same with 5.56. the hornet for yotes, small game, 30 carbine good for inside (clearing rooms) same with 12ga. 12 ga is good for birds small game and big game, I've taken a few deer with rifled slugs, then the 7.62x39 MBR 1 million revolutionaries and counting can't be wrong

·
Registered
9 Posts
THERES the savage combo gun i use..model 24 30/30/12 gauge with RELOADED BARNES X BULLETS and no 1 buck 3 inch mag..the no 1 buck gives me 24--- 30 caliber pellets..this combo for brush n feild is a must if your after big bucks in the thicket here in maine.THERES a mix of small conifers as thick as a corn feild under the oak...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts